Monday, February 6, 2017

What it's like to be the baby in the family

It’s said that being the oldest in the family comes with much freedom and responsibility. I’ve always wondered what that’s like because I come from a family where I am the youngest of four. Being the youngest of four has many advantages and disadvantages. One of the best things I’ve gotten from my siblings is that I can observe the mistakes they’ve made and learn from them. I know what buttons not to push and how to go about situations.


As well as learning from my siblings mistakes, I’ve also gained a few more advantages. Even though my siblings and I aren’t very close in age, they have my back and I can look up to them for help or advice. My oldest sister, for example, has always been somewhat of a leader. If I’m stressed about a test or about writing an essay, she is someone I can go to for advice.


Although I’ve attained many positive advantages from my siblings, there are also disadvantages that I’ve stumbled upon. Siblings are known to argue and tease each other. When I was younger, my brother and I fought almost everyday. He saw me as an easy target to make fun of and he could blame me for things I didn't do. I was also very gullible and both of my siblings could take advantage of that.

Another big disadvantage I face is comparing myself to my siblings. I’ve always been very strong with athletics, especially soccer, whereas my siblings are highly intelligent. I often compare my achievements to theirs and worry if I will ever be as smart as they are. As well, I generally worry if my parents are comparing me too my siblings and if I will ever be good enough to meet their standards.

Even though I haven't always loved being the youngest, I wouldn't think of changing my situation. I've learned from my siblings mistakes and I can always look up to them for support, even when they try to tease me. My siblings have helped me become more mature and have made me the person I am today.

23 comments:

  1. I appreciate the personal nature of this post. As an older sibling this piece made me think critically about the way I interact with my little brother. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a younger sibling, I totally relate. While I'm competitive with my older brother and we are very different people, I appreciate how he has helped me to grow. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blog Person,

    As a middle child I can totally relate! Trust me, having a younger sibling really isn't that great either. My younger brother is gullible and easy to blame, but also very annoying. He is always invading my space, but I know he does it out of love for his sister, me, and I have learned to appreciate his excessiveness a little more over the years! Have you ever wished you were the oldest? Oh my gosh, It's the picture from art class! Sorry just had to say that. :)

    Good luck,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flexi Ally Kat,

      Thank you so much for your comment! Your question is one that I used to think about all the time. Yes, when I was younger I used to wish I was the oldest because my brother would often pick on me.

      -Blog Person




      Delete
  4. Dear blog person,
    I am also the baby in my family, and I relate to a lot of what you said. I always get blamed for doing things A LOT more than my sister does. Nevertheless, I enjoy being annoying and acting silly, because I can get away with it.
    How do you think your experience as a younger sibling impact your later life?

    aquaSongbird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aqua Song Bird,
      Thank you for your comment! I'm glad we could relate about this topic. I've already started to see the impact of being the youngest sibling has on me. Because my siblings are older than me, I can learn from their mistakes. They've paved a path for me and I know not to go down the wrong way.
      Thanks again for the thoughtful comment!
      -Blog Person

      Delete
  5. Blog person,
    This is so relatable! I am the youngest of my family and I share most of your perspectives. It is refreshing to know someone else shares my struggle. Overall, do you like being the youngest, or do you wish you had a baby brother/sister?
    -Davitts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Davitts,
      Thanks for commenting! I'm glad you could relate! I do like being the youngest in my family. I'm glad I don't have a baby sibling because I feel that they would annoy me and always bother me.
      Thanks again!
      -Blog person

      Delete
  6. Blog person,

    I could really relate to this blog. I am also the baby in my family. Many of the things you said, I agree with. Because I am the youngest I can learn from my older sibling. Have you ever wanted to be the oldest or a middle child?

    -Ava

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ava,
      Thanks for your thoughtful comment! It's interesting that we could relate about being the youngest in our families. When I was younger, I always wished I could be the oldest because the oldest was seen as very mature. Also, the oldest got a lot of attention and had lot's of freedom.
      -Blog Person

      Delete
  7. Blog Person,

    I too am the baby in the family. Your piece of writing is well done and very relatable. What's the biggest lesson you've learned from being the youngest?

    Palace43 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Palace,
      Thanks so much for your comment! I think the biggest lesson I've learned from being the youngest is to not compare myself to my siblings. Thanks again for your comment!
      -Blog Person

      Delete
  8. Blog Person,
    I really enjoyed this blog post and I am also the youngest in my family so I could really relate. What ways have you felt token advantage of?

    -Polerbear23

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polar Bear,
      Thanks so much for your comment! What a great question. I am a very gullible person and I feel that my siblings use that to their advantage.
      Thanks again for your comment!
      -Blog Person

      Delete
  9. Blog Person,

    I really enjoyed reading your post and I can relate to it because I am the youngest as well, and I too had many fight with my older brother. Do you think that you fought with your brother and not your sister because you were closer in age?

    Voleyball101

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Volleyball101,

      Thank you so much for your comment! I think that the reason my brother and I fought so much was because he wanted someone to pick on and I was an easy target.

      -Blog Person

      Delete
  10. Blog Person,

    This is a super relatable post. I'm an older brother and a younger brother, and I have experienced both sides. This post makes me want to act better towards my younger brother and stop comparing myself to my older one. I always want to perform better than my older brother at academics and sports and I think that's how my younger brother feels about me. My brothers and me are pretty close in age and we are each better at things the others aren't, are you and your siblings close in age too? How does it affect you?

    -ILoveBasketball

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Love Basketball,
      Thanks for commenting and sharing a little bit about your position in your family. My siblings and I are not very close in age. I think this affected my relationship with my brother because he was much older than me and he understood certain things before I did. He definitely used his age as an advantage.
      Super comment!
      -Blog Person

      Delete
  11. Hello Blog Person,
    I am the older brother in my family, and your writing gives me an idea of what my younger brother might feel. What would you feel about being the middle child?
    -NWS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NWS,
      Thanks for your comment! It's cool that you could relate to my topic, even though you are not the youngest in your family. I feel that if I was the middle child I would be invisible in my family. In my opinion, most families pay more attention to the youngest and oldest children.
      Thanks again!
      -Blog Person

      Delete
  12. Hi Blog person,
    This is a really interesting post. I can relate to this because I am the youngest in my family. I was wondering if you liked being the youngest or not?
    -Climber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Climber,
      I really appreciate your comment! I'm glad we could relate on this topic. When I was younger, I did not entirely enjoy being the youngest because I was always getting in trouble for things I didn't do. Now that I am older, I realize that I don't mind being the youngest.
      Thanks so much for your comment!
      -Blog Person

      Delete
  13. Blog Person,
    I cant really relate because I am the older sibling. But I can relate to having to live up to certain standards. Really interesting blog post! How do you think things would be different if you were the oldest?
    -Coxi

    ReplyDelete