Friday, February 17, 2017

Water Polo

300px-WaterPolo.JPGWater polo started in the 19th century by William Wilson. It originated in Scotland and Britain and was played in lakes or rivers. When water polo first became a sport the rules were different then they are today. In the 19th century water polo players were allowed to dunk anyone and the goalie was not in the water instead the goalie was on the deck and jumped in on any one from the opposite team that was trying to score. Scoring in water polo in the 19th century was different then scoring is now. In the 19th century, to score in water polo, you had to put the water polo ball on the deck. Now there are nets, called goals, that look like soccer goals floating on top of the water. There are goals on each side of the court. The goalie treads water in or in front of the goal.
daf169686dd327e3b28d9be37980e3e3.jpgI started playing water polo this year and I am currently in my second season. I started playing water polo because my moms friend suggested it. Although my moms friend recommended it I started playing mostly because I thought it was volleyball in the water. I love volleyball and swimming so I  thought it was a great sport. Once I started playing I realized that it had nothing to do with volleyball and instead was a mixture of swimming, football,wrestling, and soccer. It's in the water so that's the swimming part. If you have the ball other players can practically tackle you like in football and wrestling. And there is a goal,goalie, and you pass to your teammates like in soccer.  Since water polo had nothing to due with volleyball I was very disappointed but decided to try it anyways and I am glad I did because now water polo is my favorite sport.




Sources:





19 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great article. It seems like the sport has evolved a lot over the years. Do you think that adding/removing elements and rules from a sport is an important part of keeping it alive, or does it destroy all the good things that came before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Hoytser,

      I don't think that changing the rules have helped the sport stay alive because if the rules change too much then people might not enjoy the game as much. I do think that its good that the rules have changed the way they did so that its the sport it is today.

      -Cupcakes

      Delete
  2. Hi!

    Nice job, literally water rugby! It sounds so fun, I want to come to one of your games, M. I like this article a lot! What's your favorite water polo team? Is there a professional water polo league? I love these photos so much! Really very interesting.

    -GroovyGirl or MC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Groovy Girl,

      My favorite team would probably be the USA woman water polo team. There is a professional water polo league called FINA which the acronym is in Spanish. The translation in english is International Swimming federation.

      -Cupcakes

      Delete
  3. To CupCakes,

    I love how passionate you are for such a unique sport! It is so cool that rules fluctuate over time. Great work!
    How long have you been playing?

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lion,

      Thanks for the kind complement! This is my first year which is my second season.

      -Cupcakes

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cupcakes,

    I never knew you played water polo! Your passion for this unique and new sport is undeniable! It is so interesting how different water polo is today rather in the 19th century! What is your team?

    Swim on,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Flexi_Ally_kat,

      Yeah! Water polo is a super fun and unique a sport. I play for Tualatin Hills water polo team.

      -Cupcakes

      Delete
  6. Cupcakes,
    I myself am a competitive swimmer, but I always wondered what it would be like to play water polo. I like the way that you described your sport, (soccer, football,swimming and wrestling). What is your team called and have you ever gone to state with your team?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pink Caramel,

      I had no clue that you where a competitive swimmer. That's so cool! I play for Tualatin Hills water polo team. I personally have never been to state but hope to one day!

      Delete
  7. Dear Cupcakes,
    This is a very interesting topic and entry! As someone who is just starting to play water polo, I need all the facts I can get! How long have you been playing water polo?
    -Davitts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Davitts,

      I started water polo this year which means that i'm in my second season.

      -Cupcakes

      Delete
  8. Dear Cupcakes,
    I like how you explained the experiences you went through in the life of water polo! If you had to choose would you choose volleyball or water polo?
    your friend, MagicalFluffySparkleyUnicorn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear MagicalFluffySparkleyUnicorn,

      If I had too choose between water polo and volleyball I would choose water polo. Though I have not been playing water polo for a long time I still like water polo better. I still like volleyball but not as much as water polo.

      -Cupcakes

      Delete
  9. Cupcakes,
    I like your blog post because first you talk about the history of water polo and then you talk about your opinion on water polo. I also liked how you compared it to volleyball. How much water polo do you play today?
    -KB Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cupcakes,

    I like how you give us a full description of when water polo was first played, and where it was played. I also like how you told us how you started to play and told us how it was like volleyball. How often do you play?
    Awesome post!!

    - JPLAX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Cupcakes,
    I like how you used other sports to describe water polo. It made it much easier to understand. Is it hard to tread water for so long?
    Great post!
    -NWS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cupcakes,
    I never knew the history behind water polo before I read this. I love the full, in-depth descriptions of what it was like in the 19th century and what it is like now. Is water polo physically harder to play than volleyball?
    -ILoveBasketball

    ReplyDelete