 |
| William G. Morgan |
The game of Volleyball was invented in 1895 by a man named William G. Morgan, he originally called it Mintonette. He was inspired by the creator of basketball, James Naismith, they met while Morgan was studying at the Springfield College of the YMCA. In the summer of 1895 Morgan moved to Holyoke, Massachusetts to continue working for the YMCA, as the director of physical education. As he examined men play basketball he observed that the older or weaker men had a disadvantage, and wanted to create a less intense, but still athletic sport for them. He used some rules from basketball, baseball, tennis, and handball.
Of course he had to have some guidelines for this sport. Morgans first priority was to figure out how big the court and net had to be. He ultimately settled on having a six-foot, six-inch net and a 30 ft. x 60 ft. court. The next step was to find the perfect ball. So he tested all of the balls that were available at the time, but he couldn't find one that felt just right. He decided that his best recourse was to ask help from A.G. spalding & bros., who created the perfect ball. They made a ball that was covered in leather, with the circumference of 25-27 inches. Now for the last step, presentation.
Morgan gathered a group of ten men, five for each side of the net. The first demonstration of Mintonette was to the his fellow Physical Directors at the YMCA in Springfield, 1896. One of his colleges Dr. Gulick enjoyed his game so much, he asked him to present it to the schools new stadium. He demonstrated his game again in front of the conference delegates in the East Gymnasiums of Springfield College. One of the delegates, Professor Alfred T. Halsted, unquestionably loved Mintonette, but felt that it needed a different name. He suggested that a more suitable name would be volleyball, after all the core purpose of the sport is to volley the ball across the net. The game soon began to spread around the world. New rules were made such as, the maximum hits per side is three, and spalding created a new ball that was only for volleyball. In 1964, at the summer Olympic Games in Tokyo, was where Volleyball was introduced to the Olympics.
Playing volleyball has taught me how to bump, set and spike, but more importantly it has taught me the importance of communication, teamwork, trust, determination and resilience. It has taught me to be aware of the people around me and work together with them, it has taught me these important life skills in a way that no class, no teacher, and no textbook could. I have become a better person because of this sport. When I am on the court playing volleyball, it takes me away from all the stress of school and home, i'm just having fun playing a sport that I love.
William G. Morgan effected the lives of so many with this sport over the years it has been around. Even though it has become more competitive, it still allows for people of all ages and sizes to participate. Morgan died on December 27, 1942, but something that still remains true is that, "his game brought richer life to millions of people throughout the world".
Sources/pic credits:
Volleyball hall of fame
http://www.volleyhall.org/william-g-morgan.html
History of volleyball
http://volleyball.isport.com/volleyball-guides/history-of-volleyball
Volleyball Training ground
http://www.volleyball-training-ground.com/spalding-volleyballs.html
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_G._Morgan
Odyssey
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/what-volleyball-taught-life
It is interesting to think about how volleyball has evolved from a predominantly male sport to a sport more popular amongst women and girls. I wonder why that is.... Thanks for sharing this post!
ReplyDeleteI found it super interesting how you talked about the man who created the sport in such a cool way. Why did William decide to create a sport? How long have you been playing volleyball? Super compelling post, I loved it! Fantastic job.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteVolleyball101,
ReplyDeleteI never knew volleyball was based off of various other sports! The more I think about it, I can see the resemblance towards volleyball and basketball, baseball, tennis, and handball. It is truly inspiring to hear you hold a special place for this unique sport in your heart, and that you have learned to value communication, trust, resilience, teamwork, and determination. Do you hope to continue playing volleyball throughout your life?
Follow your passion,
-Flexi
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteVolleyball 101,
ReplyDeleteI never knew that the maker of volleyball was inspired by the maker of basketball! That is very interesting. Do you think that sports like volleyball should be played by everyone because they teach vital life skills such as communication, resilience, teamwork, and determination?
JG
Volleyball 101,
ReplyDeleteWow, I never volleyball was based up of many sports. I can see your passion for volleyball in this blog. Why do you play volleyball?
-Ava
Volleyball 101,
ReplyDeleteYour blog post was really well done and very interesting. I never really thought about the background of sports and how they were created. My question for you is, why did William G. Morgan use rules from different sports to create volleyball?
-Blog Person
Volleyball 101,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you explained how William G Morgan created volleyball. I thought it was really cool how you also talked about your passion for volleyball. When did you start playing volleyball?
-Polerbear23
Polerbear,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your nice comment! I started volleyball when I was going in to sixth grade, I did some summer camps after fifth grade and decided I wanted to play in sixth grade.
Volleyball101
Volleyball 101,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post and liked how you explained how basketball, baseball, tennis, and handball were combined to make volleyball so that older folk could play a sport successfully. Was volleyball invented for older people only or did William G. Morgan think that everyone could play?
-ILoveBasketball
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Volleyball 101,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your post. I find it extremely interesting that volleyball is linked to so many different sports. I also think it's interesting that a man created volleyball because volleyball to me seems like it's played more by women now then it is men. Would you consider volleyball a contact sport?
Good Blog,
- Rainbow