Friday, February 3, 2017

The Misunderstood Shark



                Sharks of all kinds are feared by the human race. Personally as a person that loves sharks is worried for the future of sharks. I first discovered I liked sharks when my family brought me to the Natural History Museum in New York City. Mostly I was bored until we got to the ocean exhibit, thats when my eyes widened. I started running around looking at all the different plastic creatures and the I turn around and I see this massive jaw filled with razor sharp teeth. Im sure I tried to touch it and my parents quickly stopped me from getting a nasty cut but who knows. From that point on I new I loved the ocean and I especially loved sharks. 
               Right now there are approximately 470 known species of shark in the world, but it's impossible to count the exact number of individual sharks on the planet.World Wildlife Fund estimates that more than 100 million sharks are killed each year for their fins. An d guess how many humans are killed each year… 26 was the most reported deaths in 2010. A vending machine is more likely to kill you that a shark. 
              Sharks live everywhere, they rang from Antarctica to Australia. They are everywhere. Now I don't mean to scare you but almost everywhere you go that is near the ocean, theres a shark. And you shouldn't be scared anyway, if I were to ask you right now why you were afraid of sharks, more than half of you will say something along the lines of "They eat people" or "they are blood thirsty flesh eating demons. or somewhere in that zone. But really they aren't hostile creatures.
             Sharks of all kinds have pretty common diet. they are all carnivores, But people have actually found some pretty wired things inside of a sharks stomach. here is a small list of things scientist have found in side a sharks stomach; Polar Bears, Reindeer, Licenses plates, Tires, Chicken coop complete with chickens, A full suit of armor, a fur coat, rubber boots, porcupine, video cameras, a horse head, and a bag of money. Now thats just a few things. You can probably imagine what else they eat. I guess they eat anything except for their veggies.
            Sharks have bad reputations because of movies and stories. The one movie that you always think about is… you guest it JAWS. Jaws was the first movie that really set off the whole flesh eating shark craze. Jaws is about this 25ft shark that is thirsty for blood and the main character, Brody, to save his town from this "monster" I won't say much more but there were sequels that just increased the fear with sharks.       
             Due to movies like this sharks are facing extinction. Over 1 million sharks are killed each year. People will either kill them for sport or some ail kill them for a tasteless soup made with their fins. It is a tradition in some countries to eat shark fin soup but is it really worth it? How they do it: First they catch the shark, cut off its fins and throw the animal back into the water to die slowly while bleeding uncontrollably. They leave the poor thing on the bottom of the ocean to die. 
       My goal is to make shark finning illegal all over the world. They have already done this in a few places fro example it is Illegal to shark fin in that state of hawaii. If sharks keep getting killed at this rate they will be gone in the next few decades. We need to stop this. You can help by going to here and donating even just $10 to help them stop this. I have done this, WWF is an great foundation to help. I hope you will learn to love sharks just as I did.

Thanks,
Sophie

15 comments:

  1. You tell them, kiddo! There is nothing cooler than sharks . . . just so long as I don't have to swim with them. The world's largest extant shark feeds on plankton. I would go swimming with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great post! I have always been a bit scared of sharks but I appreciate you helping to prove that sharks deserve compassion and understanding too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophie,

    I can tell from this blog post how passionate you are about sharks! You packed so much information in, and I don't think I've ever known more about sharks than I do now. What are your opinions on sharks staying captive in aquariums? Thank you for opening my eyes to the dangers sharks are facing.

    -MK♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment MK♡,
      I think that when some aquariums keep sharks in captivity they may be helping it because it could have some sort of disability but otherwise I think that they should be able to live their live out in the open ocean.
      -Soph♡

      Delete
  4. bumpsetspike,

    Wow, I always though sharks were ruthless creatures whose soul purpose were to rip off somebody's arm! I appreciate you helping to spread the message that unless agitated or provoked, sharks are completely harmless. Do you think modern day television shows focusing on shark attacks are contributing to the rumor that the shark is a vicious and dangerous creature?

    Fight for what you know is right,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear bumpsetspike,
    I entirely agree with you about the misunderstood shark reputation. Sharks are usually dubbed as ferocious creatures, because of their grisly appearance. have you ever participated in a protest against shark mistreatment?

    Shark fin soup is really awful
    aquaSongbird

    ReplyDelete
  6. To bumpsetspike,

    What? Sharks aren't ruthless killers! Wow I never knew about this misconceived information! Thanks for clarifying it! It's so sad that they are so many movies/advertisements that illustrate that sharks are mean devil like creatures. But in reality it's the complete opposite.
    When you first heard of a shark, did you think that they voracious and ferocious animals?

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  7. bumpsetspike,

    I agree with you that sharks are always known to be bad. I loved how you proved your point. It is really sad that people always think that sharks are mean or evil. What was your motivation to stand up to this problem?

    -Ava

    ReplyDelete
  8. bumpsetspike,

    I've always been super scared of sharks but thanks to this, I know I should be more scared of vending machines. I love how you show the good side of sharks and how they really are misunderstood. I liked how you gave the facts, especially the one about vending machines, I found that amazing. Have you ever been in water with a shark?
    -ILoveBasketball

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. bumpsetspike,

    Your blog interested me very much, it really helped me understand how misunderstood sharks are. I have known you for a long time, and I am very aware of your love for sharks, but you have never told me about the first time you realized you loved sharks. Why do people make shark fin soup if its so bad for them?

    Volleyball101

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bumpsetspike,

    This post was very interesting. I now see how misunderstood they are. I do not know why so many of them are killed a year for just their fins! Why do people kill sharks just for their fins, why not use other parts too?

    -Sushi is the best

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bumpsetspike,

    Woah, that was awesome. I loved how you gave a lot of information but you didn't just copy and paste the a bunch of facts into your blog, it all flowed well. I myself am personally scared to death of sharks, whenever I swim in any water, even fresh water, and I can't see the bottom, I have thoughts running through my mind of sharks swimming up and killing me. It's great. Your passion for sharks is extremely cool. Do you think that you'll want your job to involve sharks?

    ~Dogdoo42

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Bumpsetspike,
    That was a great post, I can tell you really like sharks and making sure they have a reputation. This post was amazingly researched because you would have to search far and wide for facts like how much more likely it is for a vending machine to kill you instead of a shark. I have one question for you, what percent of the population knows the truth about sharks?
    -SR

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Bumpsetspike,
    I had no idea how many sharks are being killed. I like that you addressed something that many people don't really think about, but have an opinion about nonetheless.
    -NWS

    ReplyDelete