Thursday, February 16, 2017

The Invention Of Carbonated Water


Did you know that on average, an American person drinks 50 gallons of carbonated soft drinks? Without a chemist named Joseph Priestley, this may have not been possible. He invented the first unnaturally carbonated water, which is now part of the second most popular beverage in the U.S., soda.
You may know the year 1767 for being the first year of the Townshend Acts during the American Revolution, but this was also the year that Joseph Priestly created the first glass of artificially carbonated water. People had already been drinking naturally carbonated water from springs, but Priestley made a way for people to get it more easily. This may not seem like such a big deal, but every year, soft drink sales bring in a whopping 65 million dollars annually for popular soda companies such as Coca-Cola and Pepsi.
Although carbonated water is now made by applying extreme pressure to carbon dioxide and water to force them together, Priestly made the first bubbly water in a brewery. He did this by first placing a bowl of water over a vat of beer, which would cause the carbon dioxide from the fermenting beer to enter the water, carbonating it.
        My family’s favorite sodas are root beer, orange and grape soda, for floats. I wasn’t allowed to drink soda until I was 9 years old, because it is bad for your teeth and full of sugar. I also like to drink flavored sparkling water, which I can usually find in the refrigerator.
Priestly did not create sparkling water as a beverage, but thought that the bubbles would help sailors from getting seasick. Later in the 1700s, other people made carbonated water a beverage, but the next time you take a sip of ice cold Fanta or Mountain Dew, thank Joseph Priestly.


17 comments:

  1. It is super interesting to learn that carbonated beverages were created to help sailors! Thanks for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how many modern consumer products had humble origins. Do you think most inventors would be surprised if you told them how their developments were being used today? Alternatively, what is a simple, unimportant thing today that could follow the model of carbonated beverages and become the next big consumer item?

    ReplyDelete
  3. lexilou25 - I really enjoyed reading your piece about carbonated water and other soft drinks. I was unaware that the drink was first created to help sailors, and this was fascinating for me to learn! I wonder what Priestly would think of the soda industry now, and how much it is worth? Thank you for this!
    Best,
    Tilde

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi lexilou25!
    Your blog post is so interesting!! I never knew that sailors would drink sparkling water to help them from getting seasick! I wonder which soda was created first?
    -Star :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Star :)!
      Thanks for reading my post. The first soda ever made was ginger ale in Ireland 1851. The first big soda company was Dr. Pepper in 1885. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. Lexilou25,
    Wow on average an American drinks 50 gallons of carbonated drinks? I never knew the numbers would be that high! Now do you think people are substituting milk for soda?

    Great article!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lexilou25,

    This is an amazing blog post! I cannot believe the average American drinks 50 gallons of carbonated drinks! I hate soda, but does sparkling water count? How do you think Joseph Priestley would feel now knowing people are dying from obesity, in which soft drinks are a large contributor towards?

    Stay healthy,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lexielou25,

    This post is amazing! I never knew there was so much history behind soda. Do you happen to know if Joseph Priestley invent the carbonated beer for the first time all by himself?

    Thanks,
    Angel Cat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lexielou25,
    What a fun topic! Do you like carbonated water as well as flavored? I really liked how you incorperated your life and experience with carbonated water and soda into your blog post!
    Thanks!
    -Slughater

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lexilou25,
    This was very interesting! What your favorite soda?
    -bumpsetspike

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lexilou25
    I really enjoyed reading your blog, and I had no idea that the first carbonated drink was created in 1767. Have you ever gotten a coca-cola that had your name on it?
    Really interesting blog,
    nog123

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Lexilou25,

    This was so fun to read! I really enjoy how you talked about the carbonated water from springs. Do you know how the carbonated water from the spring was made?

    -Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Lexilou25,
    This is was a blast to read and very unique. I love how you share how and why carbonated water made. I never knew it was made for sailors. Do you want to invent a new drink?
    -ILoveBasketball

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lexilou25,
    This was very interesting to read as I didn't know much about carbonated water. I didn't know how carbonated drinks were created. The history was very interesting. I liked how you talked about your favorite fizzy drinks. Do you think today too many people have soda?
    -KB Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear lexilou,
    Like KBB, I don't know much about sparkling water, but I learned SO much from your post! I didn't know any of those facts! I'm now interested, if you could stop the invention, would you?

    -JT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear JT,
      Even though it would make a lot of people healthier, I don't think that I would stop the invention. However, I might try to make a type of soda with less sugar, or make a way for the carbonation to be less damaging to people's teeth. Thank you for your comment!

      -lexilou25

      Delete