Swimming in the 1800's to Now

Have you ever felt the cool feeling seconds after you jump of the block, and your head touches the water.You start to kick as hard as you possibly can when you realize that this is the moment between victory and failure? Not every one does, but the ones who do are competitive swimmers. Swimming first started around 1830 in Britain, usually only with the famously slow stroke, breast stroke. See it used to only be one stroke, not all that complicated.
Later in 1896, the very first Olympics was held in Athens and swimming was one of the first sports to be added to this legendary competition. Back then in the late 19th century, competitive swimmers had to swim the whole race without gogles, or swim caps. Those swimmers had to wear long, almost full body suits, instead of the modern day swimsuits we have now.
Then, Suddenly, everything changed. The first few years of the 1970's goggles and fabric swim caps were created. Finally in 2010 women were allowed to wear modern swimsuits as well as men. That brings us up to date in swimwear and setting, but what about the famous swimmers of the past?
Right now(in the 21th century) the most famous people in our time are Katie Ledecky and the American legend Micheal Phelps. Back to the very first Olympics, you were probably wondering who one in Athens all those years( centuries ) ago. Well the very first gold medalist in swimming was a man named Alfred Hajos another Olympian was named Duke Kahanamoku. Both of these medalists brought home gold to their countries. So there you have it. From past, to present, swimming through the ages. 

Wow! I wonder what it was like racing without googles... It is so interesting to think about how sports evolve over time!
ReplyDeleteI had no idea that the breast stroke was the original swimming stroke!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAs a swimmer, reading this was so interesting! I am a huge fan of Katie Ledecky and it is fascinating to think about all the accomplished Olympians who came before her.
ReplyDeleteDear Pink Caramel,
ReplyDeleteI like your post because you say a detailed history of swimming that I had no idea about. I didn't know that swimming started with the breast stroke. Are you on a swimming team?
-KB Blogger
Pink Caramel,
ReplyDeleteI never knew swimming had such an interesting history! I just can't get past the fact women were aloud to wear modern swim gear later then men. Even something as simple as swimming oppressed women at one period of time. I love how even the shortest sentence in your post sparks so much wonder and curiosity in me!
Just keep swimming,
-Flexi
Pink Caramel,
ReplyDeleteIt is so sad that women are denied so many rights as opposed to men! Why can't we be equal! Even still to this day, this problem is still occurring. Thank you for addressing this problem in your article! Do you swim?
You definitely have the passion for it!
Keep it up!
-lion
Dear Pink Caramel,
ReplyDeleteI love the introduction of your piece of writing- I used to swim myself and your words give me a crystal clear memory of what starting a race is like. Anyway, thank you for writing this. I loved hearing an insight on the history of swimming I'd never wondered about. What's your favorite stroke?
Keep swimming!
-Palace 43
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletePink Caramel,
ReplyDeleteWow! I never knew that swimming only had one stroke back then. I never knew that swimming has changed so much throughout history. Are you a swimmer? If yes, what is your favorite stroke?
-Ava
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Pink Caramel,
ReplyDeleteWow! This is a really cool post. I didn't know that people swam without caps and google in the 19th century. I thought that the part where you wrote who the most famous swimmers are now and in the past is really interesting. Are you a swimmer yourself or do you just like swimming? Who is your favorite swimmer?
-Cupcakes
Hello Pink Caramel,
ReplyDeleteI had no idea that swimming was invented so long ago! I like how you compared swimming now and back then. What's your favorite stroke?
-NWS
Pink Caramel,
ReplyDeleteThis was a really interesting post! I love how you explain when modern swim gear was invented and when people were aloud to where them. Is Katie Ledecky an American swimmer?
-ILoveBasketball
Dear Pink Caramel,
ReplyDeleteBeing a swimmer it is weird to think that girls where not originally allowed to swim in the Olympics. What is your favorite stoke?
-Horse Fan