![]() |
| Carli Lloyd for the US Women's team |
Fast forward a couple centuries and we get to the 1848 where the Cambridge Rules written at Trinity University and soccer is becoming more organized. Now clubs unconnected to schools are starting to be created, and also there were starting to be leagues like the Sheffield FA.
At this point soccer is still only a men's sport and women haven't been given they're own league yet but in 1894 an activist by the name of Nettie Honeyball create the British Ladies' Football Club. Despite the good times of women's soccer they faced the ultimate struggle, England's Football Association voted to ban women's professional football to play on standard football pitches. The ban was only officially lifted in 1969. The Women's World Cup was first inaugurated in 1991 and has been held every four years ever since.
Soccer, Football, The Beautiful Game, The World Game, whatever you want to call it, has had some rough times but all in all it's a sport that brings people together around the world. It will always have it's place in history no matter how your history books say it.


I never knew soccer originated in China! Thank you for writing this. :)
ReplyDeleteIt is so fascinating that soccer started off with just a fun game hitting a ball where it was so unpopular, to a world wide sport! I am glad you have such passion to soccer! After just a couple of boys hitting balls, did more and more people do that and that soon became a world wide sport?
ReplyDeleteGreat work
-Lion
Afroninja 2003,
ReplyDeleteThis is a very interesting blog post! The more I think about it, soccer and Amazon started out pretty similarly! Soccer started with a few people kicking a ball around, and Amazon started with a couple bored teenagers sitting in a garage wondering what to do, and they both soon grew into a very popular, worldwide thing! How do you think soccer spread across the nation? Did it just catch on to the point everyone was playing it?
I am thoroughly intrigued,
-Flexi
Afroninja 2003,
ReplyDeleteThis blog is so fascinating! I didn't know that soccer originated in China. Do you play soccer?
-Ava
Dear Afroninja 2003,
ReplyDeleteI always thought soccer was from Italy, not China. So interesting to know! It is disappointing to know that their is no official women's soccer league. Maybe someone else will stand for it. Why do you think soccer brings people together more than any other sport?
aquaSongbird
Dear Afroninja 2003,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! It's really cool that while soccer originated in 208 BC, the concept has kind of stayed the same, kick a ball through 3 posts. I thought that there was a Women's Soccer League in the US, i.e. the Portland Thorns, but I guess that isn't official. As a soccer player myself, I liked reading this blog post and getting to know a bit more about the beautiful game. How far do you think you'll be able to go with soccer? MLS? World Cup?
~Dogdoo42
Afroninja 2003,
ReplyDeleteI never knew soccer was invented in China so long ago for only boys. I like how you share women's struggles trying to get their own league. How long have you been playing soccer?
-ILoveBasketball
Afroninja 2003,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about the evolution of the game. How did you start playing soccer?
laxandpizzaandbmth