Tuesday, February 14, 2017

If you play board games you must know mumblety-peg...right?


In recent days, I find video games to be a very big time passer. But, in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, there was no Halo or Black Ops, so what was to be played? Back then board games were a popular way to spend time for soldiers and peasants alike with games from backgammon in 1645 that we still play (at that time called tables), to games that nobody plays anymore like mumblety-peg and.

There are many games we still play that are from the 1600s and 1700s such as solitaire, backgammon, chess and cribbage. We may play these games differently, but the concepts are the same: You try to take out the opponent's king in chess, you try to get card combos in cribbage, and you try to line up all the cards into the sides in a specific order in solitaire.

These games have all been played since at least AD 1700 and were often played by people in the American, French and industrial revolutions for fun. On top of the many still played and remembered games, there are a few from the revolutions we don't still remember. mumblety-peg was a game where both players would have a pocket knife and throw it into the ground as close to their feet as possible and the person who loses each round had to pull a peg out of the ground with their teeth (hence the name, mumblety-peg)
I personally love to play board games, even classic ones like solitaire. As you can see, in the 1700s board games were how people spent a lot of their time.


Image result for oldest backgammon set
Backgammon board
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backgammon
-JewelsArePrecious
Sources: Wikipedia, Slate.com, 

14 comments:

  1. I would love to hear your opinion on some of the more modern board games that have been developed. Are they still meaningful? Are they getting a bit cheesy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Jewlsareprescious

    Wow this is such a unique blog post! I never knew that board games where invented such a long time ago! I would love to here what your best board game you have played?

    Nice post!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  3. JewelsArePrecious,

    I have absolutely no idea why, but I think I prefer rolling dice rather throwing knives at my feet and pulling pegs out of the ground solely with my teeth. Is it just me? What an interesting blog post! I love how you compare modern day games to older games, as there is a significant difference! I can relate as I love solitaire and backgammon, do you have a favorite board game?

    Board games are my secret pair-o-dice,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
  4. JewelsArePrecious,

    I can see that you have researched the topic of board games thoroughly to find out about a game as obscure as mumblety-peg (which sounds like fun). I enjoy board games myself and play them sometimes. How do you feel about newer era board games and how much fun they are?

    Thanks,Bobbyblogman

    ReplyDelete
  5. JewelsArePrecious,

    This was a fascinating blog post! I personally live for board and card games as well. I highly enjoy backgammon and solitaire, but my personal favorite board game is Chinese checkers. Do you happen to know if this game originated during the time of revolutions?

    Thanks,

    Angel Cat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear JewelsArePrecious,
    This is a really unique topic! Do you think that some people had really bad aim and killed someone?
    Thanks!
    -Slughater

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very cool blog post! Do you know if people still play mumblety-peg or not? Have people hit their own feet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear JewelsArePrecious,
    I really enjoyed reading you blog about board games and I had no idea that board games had such an interesting influence on people during the 1700s. How are influenced by board games?
    Great blog,
    nog123

    ReplyDelete
  9. JewelsArePrecious,
    I really enjoyed reading this post because I had no idea that they were popular so long ago. I had no idea about the history. I didn't know that solitaire has been played for a long time. What is your favorite board game?
    -KB Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear everyone who responded,
    WOW, I didn't expect this much interest in the realm of board games! To answer the most popular question, my personal favorite board game has got to be munchkin because its so complicated that if you know the rules as well as me, you dominate the playing field
    -JT

    ReplyDelete
  12. JewelsArePrecious,

    I have always played board games ever sense I was little, but I never thought people have been playing some of there games for hundreds of years. What board games are your favorite?

    -Ava

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello JewelsArePrecious,
    I had never hear of mumblety-peg, and it sounds pretty dangerous! (Kind of similar to the knife and hand game) What is your favorite game? It can be board or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi JewelsArePrecious,
    I'd had never thought about what board games may have been like in the centuries before us. I thought this was a unique post, and it really taught me a lot! I was wondering how you heard about mumblety-peg?

    -King Nebuchadnezzar

    ReplyDelete