Monday, February 6, 2017

Marie Antoinette, The Last Queen, French Revolution

Marie Antoinette in the French revolution was known as Madame Déficit because the country's financial crisis was accused on her luxurious spending and her disapproval to the social and financial. 

Marie was the last queen before the French Revolution. She was born an Austrian princess, she soon married Louis XVI at the age of 14. Prior to their marriage it took 7 years for the queen and king to finally agree for the marriage. Although Marie Antoinette soon started to fall because of the country's financial crisis was accused on her luxurious spending band her disapproval to the social and financial. 


A revolt started the first year of revolution. The third estate assaulted the Bastille on July. After the revolution put the royal family under house arrest in the Tuileries Palace. In June 1791 the royal family attempted to escape, and her role in the War of the First Coalition, had a bad effect on the French popular opinion. On August 10 1792, the attack on the Tuileries pushed the royal family to take safety at the Assembly, and on August 13, the family was taken hostage. On September 19 1792, the monarchy was done. After a two-day trial began on 14 October 1793, and Marie Antoinette was found guilty. Marie Antoinette soon died on October 16, 1793.

I liked writing about Marie Antoinette because it was interesting to know that she was the last queen of France. What surprised me the most was the famous quote "let them eat cake" was false. I also wanted to write about her because when I went to France, I heard she had done bad things to France. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Antoinette
http://www.history.com/news/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-marie-antoinette
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastille

11 comments:

  1. The history of European royalty is quite intriguing. I really enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MagicalFluffySparklyUnicorn,

    This post is very interesting, as I never knew Marie Antoinette was criticized for her lavish spending, despite researching her and writing a blog post reflecting her downfall as queen. Did you know she was actually generous to the poor, and would donate to charities regularly? Marie was actually quite a good person!

    Best wishes,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ♥Flexi_Ally_Kat♥,
      Thank you for your great comments and thank you for informing me that Marie Antoinette was a fair lady! I must have read to fast!
      -MagicalFluffySparkleyUnicorn

      Delete
  4. Dear MagicalFluffySparklyUnicorn,
    Your article about Marie Antoinette was very detailed. I like that you remarked about why you wanted to post about her. Considering her lavish spending, why do you think the rumor started about "let them eat cake"?

    aquaSongbird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi aquaSongbird,
      Thank you, I assume that why the rumor about Marie Antoinette saying "let them eat cake." was a misunderstanding or confusion at that point of time.
      -MagicalFluffySparkleyUnicorn

      Delete
  5. MagicalFluffySparklyUnicorn,

    Your post is so detailed! I never knew anything about Marie Antoinette. I thought it was very interesting that she got married at age 14. Why do you think she got married at age 14?

    -Ava

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ava,
      Thank you, I also thought it was very interesting and surprising that she got married at the age of 14! She probably got married at the age of 14 because in the olden time they betrothed royal children.
      -MagicalFluffySparkleyUnicorn

      Delete
  6. MagicalFluffySparkleyUnicorn,
    Thank you for this post! It is very informative, and Marie Antoinette had a very interesting life. It is cool that you are interested in this queen. A question I have is why do you think it took so long for the queen and king to let Marie and Lous XVI marry? Also do you know what led to the discovery of "Let them eat cake" being false?

    Great Job!
    -Wangk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Wangk,
      I agree with you, I also thought that Marie Antoinette! I think both their parents were wary of joining two separate royal families and I assume that the saying "let them eat cake" was a misunderstanding or confusion at that time.
      -MagicalFluffySparkleyUnicorn

      Delete
  7. Hi MagicalFluffySparkleyUnicorn,
    I thought this detailed post was amazing! I had never heard too much about Marie Antoinette, and this gave me a great bit of information. The first line about her name was especially great! I was wondering what you thought it would be like trying to escape as the royal family?

    -King Nebuchadnezzar

    ReplyDelete