Thursday, February 23, 2017

How Might The Universe End?



            Before I begin, I'd like to give you a bit of a content warning. I want to let you know that this is a very heavy topic. The matters I'll be discussing here may be a tad distressing to some people. Okay, moving on. One day in the far, far future, the Universe will die. Now, you may be wondering; how? and why? how do we know this? first off, the Universe is expanding, and has been expanding since the Big Bang. Also, the rate of expansion is increasing. The reason of this accelerated expansion? Dark energy. Dark energy is a weird phenomenon that scientists think permeates the entire Universe. Up until the year 1998, scientists thought the Universe worked a bit like a yo-yo, if you will. No matter how far down it goes, it always comes back up. They though the expansion must slow at some point. However, the expansion, like I said before, is actually speeding up. Now, where is this speeding up of the expansion coming from? We don't really know, but this is what we call dark energy. Albert Einstein first thought of this idea, and then decided it was silly. Now, however, astronomers think this idea is very plausible. The problem is, this is all extremely theoretical, and, we aren't really sure what the properties of dark energy are. However, there are a few theories, and they lead us to a few conclusions of how to Universe will end. 

Theory One: The Big Rip.            

            Since the birth of the Universe, it has been expanding. Not only that, new space is created everywhere in the Universe equally. (Weird, right?) This means the space between Galaxies moves apart, making them move farther and farther away from each other. The space inside stellar objects like nebulae and galaxies is also expanding, the gravity in such objects is strong enough to hold them together. However, the Big Rip theory states that one day, the expansion will be so fast and so powerful that the gravity of these objects will not be strong enough to hold them together. First, big objects like galaxies will be torn apart. Over time, stars, planets and black holes would too be torn apart, leaving behind atoms. When the Universe begins expanding faster than the speed of light, atoms too would dissolve. The Universe would then be a strange place, full of particles that would never be able to touch, whizzing around for, well, who knows how long?

Theory Two: Heat Death.           

            The Heat Death Theory states that over an extremely long yet finite amount of time, matter stays intact but degenerates into radiation, while the Universe expands forever. How does this work? One word: entropy. All systems tend to fall into the highest level of entropy. Think of it like a Latte Macchiato. When served, it generally has three regions, but over time, these regions will cool down, dissolve, and become one region. This also applies to the Universe. While the Universe gets larger and larger, and, along with it, matter slowly decays. After some time, the gas in the gas clouds needed to form stars will run out, and the Universe will turn dark. The remaining long lived stars will die, and black holes will degenerate and evaporate. (I know!) This is caused by a theory called "Hawking Radiation." Black holes are thought to take (drumroll, please), 10 to the 92nd power years. That's an almost incomprehensible number. I mean, the Universe is only 14 billion years old. Think about that for a moment. I could go deeper with this, but that's a whole 'nother blog post. All activity in the Universe ceases at this point. Entropy is at it's fullest capacity. The Universe is hereby dead forever. Unless, theoretically, after a mind-bogglingly long time, part of this dead Universe would be spontaneously jostled, leading to what's known as "quantum tunneling, which would result in a new Big Bang. Weird!

Theory Three: The Big Crunch + The Big Bounce.            

            If there is actually less dark energy than we think there is today, or if it slowly runs out over time, gravity will be the most pervasive and dominating force in the Universe. If this happens, the Universe will shrink, and the galaxies will get closer and closer together. Since a smaller Universe means a hotter Universe, the temperature will rise dramatically. It would get so hot that background radiation (the microwave radiation remaining from the Big Bang), will become so hot that stars would be cooked, if you will, from the outside. It will then get so hot atoms will tear apart. And it'll keep shrinking. Soon, all that we would be able to see would be the galaxy. Then it would shrink down to the size of the solar system. Then to the size of the earth, and, although this may sound strange, it will keep shrinking. It will shrink so small, the universe will be the size of a subatomic particle. There is one idea that gives me some hope, however. This is where the Big Bounce Theory comes into play. The Big Bounce Theory states that this expansion and contraction has happened an infinite amount of times, and will keep happening. The Universe will just keep expanding and contracting. Wouldn't that be nice?


            I haven't thought about this subject deeply enough to decide upon which theory I support. At the moment, though, the Heat Death theory seems the most likely. 


            When I think about all of this, though, I can't help but remember those first people who looked up to the sky and wondered what was beyond our vision. From the great minds of the Scientific Revolution like Galileo, Copernicus and Kepler, to Greeks like Hipparchus and Aristarchus. It is because of them that we know as much about the heavens as we do today.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, this is an intense article! You are incredibly knowledgeable about the theories for the end of the Universe, and you did a fantastic job sharing your knowledge. I especially liked the way you pointed out some of the great scientists from the Scientific Revolution at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fascinating to think about all the different theories that scientists have come up with to explain the end of the universe! So interesting to think about which one of the three you listed above seems the most plausible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These theories are truly incredible. How long did it take you to research this topic? How did you get into the field of astronomy? This is a very intriguing piece of writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey ACS,

      It didn't take as much time to research this topic as it might appear. If you want to learn more about this, I found a cool video that explains this stuff pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDF-N3A60DE&t=332s
      I've been into astronomy for as long as I can remember. It's just really interesting to me. Thanks for commenting!

      -XC Runner

      Delete
  4. This is such a fascinating topic. Why do think the Heat Death Theory is the most likely? It was a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. XC Runner,

    Wow! This is truly fascinating! I love when you build up for the blunt, "the universe will die," at the end of the first paragraph, it both gave me a laugh and the chills! It is so amazing to think about what is beyond our meager planet! Which theory do you believe is most plausible? Follow what you believe, and don't let go of this topic!

    The sky isn't the limit when there are footprints on the moon,
    (Paul Brandt)

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
  6. XC runner,

    What a amazing post! This is incredibly impressive for a blog post. So much amazing information! Which theory do you think the universe would end? Are these theories the opposite of how the universe started? When do you think the universe will end?

    Amazing work!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  7. XC Runner,
    Wow, this is an amazing article! I love how much detail you put into this, it shows that you are very passionate on this topic, or maybe just space in general. How do you think the universe might end? What do you think it will be like? An explosion or will it happen in the blink of an eye? Awesome job!
    - Izzy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, XC Runner,
    Huh, interesting topic. True, it's a tad distressing, but still cool. Why do you think the universe will end in that way, and do you know any other theories?
    -TripleM (hey, it's accurate and it's short)

    ReplyDelete
  9. XC Runner,
    What a interesting topic! I love how you were brave enough to research such a scary topic. I like how you put so much detail into each scenario for how it could end. After the universe ends, what would become of it? Would it be reborn?
    -ILoveBasketball

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I Love Basketball,

      Nobody really knows what will happen after the Universe ends, but some scientists think that the Universe had expanded and contracted many times, dying and being born over and over again. Thanks for the comment!

      -XC Runner

      Delete
  10. Dear XC Runner,
    What a enlightening post about the fate of our universe. I like how you took the time to research multiple theories on the demise of the universe. One question, what do you think is the worst and most painful ending of the universe.
    -SR

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear XC runner,

    Wow is all I can say. This was a very well written, entertaining post. Not only that, it shared so much information. This was such a cool post! I was wondering, where do you think the matter or energy first came from, since nothing can be created by nothing?

    -Sushi is the best

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello XC Runner,
    Your post was really interesting and informative! I like how you wrote about a slightly scary topic and still covered a lot of info.
    Do you know how scientists came up with these theories?
    -NWS

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear XC,
    Wow! This is a really deep subject! The post itself was well written and informative without just throwing the facts at us. I love the exploration of different theories, and the open-mindedness of your voice. What theory do you think is most likely to come true?
    -Davitts

    ReplyDelete
  14. XC Runner,

    What a fascinating subject! I myself have pondered this thought but I had not heard of some of these theories. It really is interesting to think about how the universe will die out. Your blog post was excellently written and the amount of science behind these theories is mind-boggling. I especially thought the how you tied this topic back into the times of Galileo and other older scientists. Do you have any theories of your own of how the universe will end?

    Keep up the excellent work,
    Camy

    (Or should I say XCellent work)

    ReplyDelete