Friday, February 24, 2017

How Memes are Taking Over the Internet



Writing the Emancipation Proclamation political cartoon

        Memes: You've probably heard of them, seen them, or even made them, but where did they come from? Why are they called memes? How do you make them? In this blog I will dive into the history of memes, and share the information with you.


  Memes go much further back than you might expect them to. The term meme wasn't invented until 1976, but far before then there were cartoons, comics, and drawings that were the memes of there time. For example, during Abraham Lincoln's presidency, a lot of Americans made fun of him through political cartoons. One political cartoon that got very famous was a photo of Lincoln writing the emancipation proclamation. This photo went viral because of how it showed that being the president wasn't a smooth or easy job, and a lot of people found it relatable to their lives.

      Most memes these days are nothing like they were back then. Back then a lot of them were drawings about political events, usually without "funny" or "relatable" captions. There wasn't such thing as the internet back then, so most of them weren't as widespread as they are now. Memes have changed a lot. The definition of an internet meme is "a concept or idea that spreads "virally" from one person to another via the Internet." -webopedia.com. They are usually a photo or video with a funny,
sarcastic, or relatable caption. 
The popular Blurry Krusty Krab meme
 Some notable examples of modern 
day memes are Pepe the frog, 
the Catch Me Outside girl,
and the blurry krusty krab. 
Some people have made livings out of running  
meme accounts, with millions of followers, 
and lots of ad revenue. 


       

          The word meme came from the biologist Richard Dawkins 1976 book where he says:
"We need a name for the new replicator, a noun that conveys the idea of a unit of cultural transmission, 
or a unit of imitation. ‘Mimeme’ comes from a suitable Greek root, but I want a monosyllable that sounds  
a bit like ‘gene’. I hope my classicist friends will forgive me if I abbreviate mimeme to meme. 
If it is any consolation, it could alternatively be thought of as being related to ‘memory’, or to the
French word même. It should be pronounced to rhyme with ‘cream’."
I don't know about you, but I wasn't expecting this to be where the word 'meme' came from.

      In my opinion, memes are a great thing. If I'm ever sad, I'll look at some memes, and if I ever want to cheer other people up, I'll make one. There are lots of ways to make memes, and I'll share two of them with you. The first one is simple: Use twitter. Most memes that you see these days are just a picture with a twitter caption above it. Just screenshot the twitter post and crop your username out of it. Here is an example:

Cropped version of Twitter post
Screenshot of Twitter post




      The second way to make them is download and app to make them. Some good apps are PicMeme, Mematic, and Meme Design. Once you have an app you can easily follow the instructions, find a good photo, and come up with a good caption. If you want to know some more about making memes,
feel free to check this awesome website that I found out: http://bit.ly/2lDg8cW



        In my opinion, there is nothing bad about memes: they are funny, witty, and relatable all at once. They make me laugh, and I feel like they are a good little distraction from all of the hate and negativity in the world right now. 







Sources:

Writing the Emancipation Proclamation. Digital image. Abrahamlincolnsclassroom.org. N.p., n.d. Web.

Blurry Krusty Krab. Digital image. Smosh. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Feb. 2017.

"Where the Word Meme Comes From." Today I Found Out. Today I Found Out, 03 Dec. 2012. Web. 24 Feb. 2017.

Beal, Vangie. "Internet Meme." What Is Meme? Webopedia Definition. Webopedia, n.d. Web. 24 Feb. 2017.


 Memes, Dank. "Dank Memes (@DankMemes)." Twitter. Twitter, 24 Feb. 2017. Web. 24 Feb. 2017.









31 comments:

  1. What a fascinating subject about which to write!! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a interesting idea! I knew that the term meme was old, but this will be so interesting for those who might not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nate,

    I didn't know about the history of how the word meme came around, and I have always wondered it. This is such an interesting topic to write about! What's your favorite meme?

    -MK :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really sick post. I had no Idea about how old they were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Young Duty!

    I did not know memes go all the way back to 1976, I have been curious about that for a while. Memes are awesome and this is a great post. What do you use to look at memes the most?
    - JPLAX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JPLAX,
      Thanks for your comment! While doing research for my post I also found it quite interesting how far back they go. I usually use my Instagram recommended page to find memes.
      -Young Duty

      Delete
  6. Dear Young Duty,
    I really liked this blog post because you explained your opinion and how you think that they are cool. The history of memes is an interesting topic to choose and your post was great. What kind of memes are your favorite?
    -KB Blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KB Blogger,
      Thanks for the comment! My favorite kind of memes are usually either ones regarding current events in the world, or ones that I can find really relatable.
      -Young Duty

      Delete
  7. YoungDuty,

    This is an amazing blog post. Not only did you manage to explain memes in a heartfelt, interpretive way, but you did it extremely well! I too love to look at memes, as they make me laugh, and sometimes even help me connect with others by sharing a good one. My personal favorite has to be the "cash me ousside girl", do you have a favorite meme?

    Read on,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey Youngduty,
    I enjoy memes too and saw in your post how much you enjoy them. I liked how you told us where to make our memes and why you enjoy memes. How often do you make your own memes?
    -Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Youngduty,
    I never knew that memes had a history and I Like how you explained it. Do you think that memes could be offensive to someone or count as cyberbullying?
    Nice job,
    Tennis MS CGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tennis MS CGS,
      I have seen some offensive memes, but I think that usually they are just little funny jokes that are not meant to harm anybody.
      -Young Duty

      Delete
  10. Youngduty,

    I never knew the term meme was invented in 1976! I have always believed it to be a recent term. I love how you explained it in a funny relatable way! Have you ever made a meme?
    I enjoyed reading this article!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lion,
      I was also surprised by the fact that the term Meme was so old, although it did have a very different meaning back then. I have made multiple memes! A lot of the time my memes aren't as funny as the ones that you see on popular meme accounts, but they still make me laugh.
      -Young Duty

      Delete
  11. Youngduty,

    I love how much history the meme has! Something fascinating that I found from your article is that this is a topic that seems to help you during sad times. I found this a really nice touch showing that this is a topic that you truly care about, and I could tell this from your writing. Excellent work!

    -Camy

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Young duty,
    Great job! It's interesting, I had no idea that memes went back that far in history. I liked how you explain how memes relate to you and how they help cheer you up when you're a bit unhappy. I was wondering, what is your favorite meme ever?
    - Izzy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Young Duty,
    I found how much history there is behind the meme to be astonishing, and the point you made about how memes can cheer people up is something I had never thought about! My question for you is: Do you think memes nowadays have become offensive?

    -SK

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Young Duty,
    I had no idea that there was such a rich history behind memes! I wanted to know what your personal favorite meme was.
    Snazzy Dolphins

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Young Duty!
    I really didn't know memes were that interesting! I was thinking about how many memes there are. Probably a lot! Do you know?
    -AC

    ReplyDelete
  17. Young Duty,
    I loved the memes you included in your blogpost! I didn't know memes went so far back.
    What is you favorite meme of all time? How do you think memes go viral?

    Own

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey young duty,

    I loved the post! I never knew where memes came from, and how people made them super far back. What is your favorite meme? (btw not copying Own who asked the same question.)

    -Sushi is the best

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Young Duty,
    It was really interesting to hear about the Abraham Lincoln meme! Personally, I use Ifunny for easy meme-finding, but i have heard its mostly reposts of Instagram or twitter memes. Do you think this is true? I find them pretty funny but they could be old.
    What a relevant topic right now.

    -Jewels

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Young Duty,
    Can you share any memes that you've made? Also, do you know how much of the internet are memes?
    -NWS

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Young Duty,

    I found it really cool how the first memes were made a long time ago to make fun of Abraham Lincoln. In the future, do you think memes will be as popular as they are today?

    -ILoveBasketball

    ReplyDelete
  22. Young Duty,
    This is a very interesting blog post. Do you think using apps to make memes is something people should do or should they make them on they're own?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Young Duty,

    Nice post! I never knew that there was that much history around memes, and that they were even around during Abraham Lincoln. Do you like to make memes?

    ~Dogdoo42

    ReplyDelete
  24. Young Duty,
    When I think of "Memes" I think of a photo with wording on it. Why do people call video "Memes". I really like the blog post, and that you included videos, and examples of memes.

    -David C.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Young Duty,

    I thought this was very interesting. I wonder why people started making memes a long time ago and how they were spread? I really liked your post.

    - Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello Young Duty,

    I thought this post was very interesting. I have seen memes but did not know what the first meme was. Do you think memes could continue throughout the ages?

    -Peanutbutterisbad

    ReplyDelete

  27. Hi Young Duty,

    I really liked this post and I never new how memes were created but you informed me so now I know about the creation of memes. Do you ever think memes will go away or will they stay for ever? From your friend Bobby The Unicorn.

    ReplyDelete