Some of you may know what it's like to be the oldest child in your family, you may love it, or hate it. I personally see the good and bad while being the oldest. Here are some ways on how being the oldest kid in my family has made me who I am today.
As the big sister I have many responsibilities, and it can get tiring. Like being a good influence because they look up to me, or being enough fun but safe as well, I also must stop myself from telling them what to do, because they have to make their own choices and mistakes and learn from them. It's a lot to remember, but if that is what it takes to be a good sister, then I am more than happy to comply.
There are of course many great advantages to being the oldest, like having them look up to you and admire you. As a result I get to mess with them since they can be pretty gullible at times, also there's more chance of being successful, this comes back to having more responsibility, and possibly the fact that your parents had more time to devote to you because you were their only child for a time. The University of Essex released the results of a study earlier this year, saying that you are more likely to succeed if you are the first-born. Over half of all US Presidents and Nobel Prize winners have been the eldest child in their families. So while you shouldn't take this as a given, it's definitely a positive of being the oldest in your family.
Some disadvantages of being the big sis are that your parents can be stricter on you since you were their first born they are cautious about what you do. You are also always stuck being the free babysitter, even if you have plans, you siblings come first so you have to stay in and mind your younger siblings, without arguing, and you get no money for it. So not only do you not get to raid the fridge in someone else's house like you usually do when babysitting, you don't get paid either.
Through all of this though, I have learned that in order to be the best older sister, I must be willing to listen to my sisters, learn from them, and most of all be proud that they are who they are and be happy.

As an older sibling myself, I can certainly relate to your post! Oval office/Nobel Prize here we come!
ReplyDeleteAs a younger sibling, I'd like to add that while we don't always act like it, we do appreciate what do you for us. We younger ones still want to prove we're better (that Nobel Prize is gonna be mine), but deep down, we care about our big siblings.
ReplyDeleteHi Belle,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all your siblings are SO CUTE!!!! I am also the older sibling in my family so I can totally see what you mean. I also love the last few lines of your blog post. Would you rather be the young sister?
Great job,
Tennis MS CGS
Belle, I can totally agree with you about the disadvantages and the advantages of being a big sister. I love the cute pic of your little sister,how could someone so cute be so devious? Although I love your post it's really one sided, have you ever thought about what it would be like to be a younger sibling or even an only child?
ReplyDeleteThank you! Trust me, someone 'so cute' can DEFINITELY be devious! (; I have thought about what it could be like being the younger sibling, I do see the advantages as well as the disadvantages from their point of view, but I still believe that the youngest can get away with more and learn what and what not to do to make sure they don't get into trouble by our parents.
DeleteBelle,
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate, as I am the middle child in my family. I both get joy out of pranking my younger brother and watching my older sister get forced to babysit my little brother and I, and feel the pain of having to babysit and get pranked by my older sister. Have you ever wanted to be a little sister? Trust me, it's really not that great! :)
You only love what you have when it's gone,
-Flexi
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteJust got to say, being the younger child isn't the best! Thanks for writing this! I could definitely relate even though I am the younger child! You never can be the youngest, so just go with the flow and enjoy your time!
ReplyDeleteVery unique article
Hey Izzy,
ReplyDeleteI loved your post! I think that there are many advantages at being the older sibling. Do you ever feel like your younger sibling is not doing as much work as you? Is it annoying?
Thanks!
Izzy,
ReplyDeleteI liked your blog post because you talked about good things about being the older sibling and bad things. You talked about the different responsibilities that you have. You also talked about younger siblings looking up to you. Overall, do you like being the older sibling?
-KB Blogger
Izzy,
ReplyDeleteI loved this post so much. I enjoyed reading it. Your little sister is so cute! I am a younger sibling so I don't know what its like to be an older sibling. I wonder if my bother feels the same about being an older sibling. Have you ever wanted to be the younger sibling?
-Ava
Izzy,
ReplyDeleteWow! This post is so amazing and informative! As a younger sibling, you brought things to my attention that I would have never known! When you are older, do you think you will connect more or less with your younger sibling than you do now?
-Pointe Shoe Lover😀
Hello Izzy,
ReplyDeleteI'm the older kid in my family and I can totally relate! If you could choose to be the younger child, would you make that decision?
-NWS
Hi Izzy,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading this!
I am the younger sibling in my family and I enjoy it from time to time. I like how you told us all the responsibilities you have to take on, and all the challenges. If you had the choice would you want to be the younger sibling?
Great job!
- JPLAX
Dear Izzy,
ReplyDeleteThis is a very good post! As the younger sibling, it was really cool and interesting to, for once see the perspective of an older sibling. I have an older brother, by the way. I love the pictures! Do you think that, in general, having a younger sibling is good or bad?
-Davitts
Hi Izzy,
ReplyDeleteThis has a lot of great info from your personal life and is very interesting me myself does not have a sibling but I believe you. Do you ever think that they will have non living babysitters. Your only child friend Bobby The Unicorn.
Dear Izzy,
ReplyDeleteI am the older sibling in my family and with it comes many responsibilities so I can relate a lot to this story. Do you think that being an only child gives you more opportunities than being a sibling?
-Horse Fan