In 1844, almost everyone who could afford the telegraph got one and used one. Why? Because the telegraph was the “next best thing” and it was what everyone else was speding their money on. Much like the telegraph, the smart phone is “the next best thing” for 2016 so, many people have one.
Morse code is somewhat similar to texting because you have to understand the different codes (abbreviations). For example, WTF doesn’t usually mean “why the face” and lol usually means “laugh out loud” not “lots of love”. If you were to use these in a wrong way, it could completely offend someone and make them mad at you. For example, if you were to hear that someone just lost their job and you said “I’m so sorry to hear about your job. lol” or if your friends grandma had recently become sick and you said “I’m so sorry to hear about your grandma. lol” I don’t think they would necessarily be to pleased with you.
What do you think would’ve happened if a texting device was invented before the telephone?
If Alexander Graham Bell had invented texting and Steve Jobs had invented the telephone, I think that the current generation would be talking instead texting. This also relates to my “next best thing” theory which is that society follows the current trends. Also, most teenagers and adults are using social media networks like Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, etc. more than talking on the phone. Lately, everyone is so wrapped up in their cyber life that they don’t spend the time to talk to people face to face anymore. Talking through the phone was invented before texting, so now when teenagers come from school and their parents ask “How was your day? or, “what did you learn?” or “what did you eat for lunch?” they usually get a one word answer like “good” or “nothing” or “food”. I feel that if texting was invented before talking on the phone, our generation would be much more talkative because our version of technology would involve way more conversation and social skills.
Sources:
"Morse Code and the Telegraph." History. N.p., n.d. Web. 8 Feb. 2016.
<http://www.history.com/topics/inventions/telegraph>.
"Invention of the Telegraph." Library Of Congress. N.p., n.d. Web. 8 Feb. 2016.
<https://www.loc.gov/collections/samuel-morse-papers/articles-and-essays/
invention-of-the-telegraph/>.
"Alexander Graham Bell." Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. N.p., n.d. Web. 14
Feb. 2016. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Alexander_Graham_Bell#First_invention>.
Images:
"Blizzard of 1888." Business Insider. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Feb. 2016.
<https://static-ssl.businessinsider.com/image/
542049756da8115a21ba15df-960-720/
telegraph-wires-many-of-which-would-have-connected-tickers-created-a-tech-y-canopy-above-downtown-manhattan.jpg>.
"Trains and Telegraphs." The Telecommunications History Group, Inc. N.p., n.d.
Web. 14 Feb. 2016. <http://www.telcomhistory.org/vm/Images/main/science/
telegraph1.jpg>.
Dear Hannah,
ReplyDeleteI think your post really brings out what it means to communicate with somebody else. I appreciate how you get the origins of technology that is so heavily relied on today and it makes my really think about how we use the technology we have at our disposal.
Great Post!
Rylan
Dear Hannah,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post because it brought to light a bunch of parallels between texting an the telegraph. My question for you is, where there any abbreviations in Morse code?
Sincerely,
William
Dear Hannah,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post, and I think your question is a very interesting one. My question to you is, how much was a telegraph in the 1840s?
Hannah,
ReplyDeleteI loved how you talked about how people always want "the next best thing." I loved how you talked about abbreviations in the telegraph, I did not know that they used them.
Great job!
Meagan
Hi Hannah,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you brought up the question of what would have happened if Alexander Graham Bell had invented texting and Steve Jobs had invented the telephone. My question is why didn't the price of telegraphs go up if everyone wanted one?
Thanks, Braden
Hannah,
ReplyDeleteI think it was interesting how you brought up the question that texting could have been invented before talking and said that we would be talking instead of texting.
I really like your analogy that if texting was invented first than our society would be more talkative.
Why is morse code used?
Great post!
-Thea
Hey Hannah,
ReplyDeleteI thought that your theory of "the next best thing" was a very interesting idea. I agree that trends start because it seems like "everyone" has the thing, so you simply have to get one too. I also thought it was interesting how you imagined a situation where someone didn't understand what an abbreviation. Sometimes it could seem like texting is a whole other language! How did a telegraph stretch across the Atlantic Ocean?
Sincerely,
Thea T
I really liked your idea of "the next big thing" and what would have happened if Alexander Graham Bell had invented texting and Steve Jobs had invented the telephone. I also liked how you compared morse code to abbreviations we use today.
ReplyDeleteif Alexander Graham Bell had invented texting, how different do you think it would be from a phone we use today?
Great job!
Mara
Hannah,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your your blog post with all the detail it had! I have heard of a telegraph but never completely understood what it was so I enjoyed reading you blog post! I liked how you used examples of WTF and LOL. Did people learn morse code in school to use the telegraph? Have you ever used morse code?
~Sanne
Dear Hannah,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this blog post! It's so cool how much we've gained from the telegraph. This post really brings out why the telegraph is so important! My one question would be did Samuel Morse live long enough to see how the telegraph effected people? Great work!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Hi Hannah!
ReplyDeleteI really liked all of the examples in your post. The examples with lol were good! Have you ever offended anyone by using an emoji or abbreviation?
- Mikayla
Hello Hannah,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading this blog post! I text almost all the time and it was nice to get to know the history of it. I didn't know how important the telegraph was. My question is did you enjoy reading this and do you enjoy texting?
From,
Imara
Hi Hannah!
ReplyDeleteI really liked you theory and I think that your right!
I also feel that people are starting to use a phone to communicate than normal face to face talking.
My Question is: why do you think that people even started to use abbreviations like LOL and WTF?
Thanks!
-Alec
Hi Hannah,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your blog post and I thought it was relatable, I text all the time! I didn't know that it all started with the telegraph!
Great post,
Anushka:)
Dear Hannah,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you added really interesting pictures to your post. My question to you is where was the telegraph first invented?
-Emma
Dear Hannah,
ReplyDeleteI like how you chose a topic that almost everyone can relate to. It was interesting to learn the history of something that I do so frequently, but have never even thought about how it came to be. Was morse code something everybody knew, or could only the select few who could understand it use the telegraph?
From,
Riley
Hey Hannah,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your blog post, and how the topic you chose almost everyone can relate to. I thought it was interesting to learn about the history of texting. My question is have you ever used morse code and if not do you want to learn how to? Nice Job
- Isabel
Hannah,
ReplyDeleteI love how you shed light on a relatable topic often left in the dark. It was interesting to learn the history of something that I do so frequently, yet have never really noticed. When was the telegraph first invented?
Best,
-Flexi