A Lot of Crazy Things Were Invented During the Revolutionary Period, But This One Sure Takes the (Cup)cake
So why do people like cupcakes so much anyway? If you think about, most people prefer the smaller, younger versions of things. Take puppies and dogs for example: I know for a fact that I would definitely prefer to have a puppy to a dog. Why, you ask? Because in the way society works right now, young equals small and small equals cute. A cupcake will usually cheer someone up more than a cake. Since their creation, cupcakes have become a pop culture trend in the culinary world. A cake is bulky and big, a cupcake, however, is cute.
![]() |
| When cupcakes were invented, they probably looked very different than our modern cupcake |
Cupcakes remind me of when I was a kid. I had cupcakes at almost all of my birthday parties and I experienced the magic of a cupcake first hand. They have a way of making you feel better even when things seem terrible. I remember having a broken arm at my 4th birthday party. When I walked into the party room and saw the vibrantly colored cupcakes, I immediately felt better.
![]() |
| This is what a modern cupcake looks like. Obviously, there are a few differences compared to the original cupcake. |
Cupcakes were invented during the French Revolution. The earliest traces of the name "a cake to be baked in small cups" date all the way back to 1796. This term was written in American Cookery by Amelia Simmons. The earliest documentation of the term "cupcake" wasn't until 1828 in 'Seventy-five Receipts for Pastry, Cakes, and Sweetmeats' by Eliza Leslie.
Cupcakes were not only invented because of the pleasure it gave people, they actually helped revolutionize baking. Baking cupcakes instead of cakes made baking faster and more efficient. When they were first invented cupcakes were often called "number" cakes, because it was really easy to remember the measurements of ingredients it took to create them: One cup of butter, two cups of sugar, three cups of flour, four eggs, one cup of milk, and one spoonful of soda. Clearly, cupcakes have become much more complex now, however, most recipes still use all of those ingredients as the base of their recipes.
Sources:
http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/spring07/ayers/history.html
https://people.rit.edu/kge3737/320/project3/history.html
Sources:
http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/spring07/ayers/history.html
https://people.rit.edu/kge3737/320/project3/history.html


Hi Anushka,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your piece about cupcakes. You synthesized history, personal feelings along with nice illustrative pictures. Actually, you made my mouth water!
I think that cupcakes have an advantage of being a self-contained portion, not tempting you to take too big slice of that cake.
My wife makes cupcakes often nd when I"m not dieting, I really enjoy them.
Regards from Kibbutz Kfar Etzion - Israel
> Cupcakes were invented during the French Revolution.
ReplyDeleteSo, was it really "Let them eat cupcakes"?
"Young equals small and small equals cute." Best line of the piece. Unless something outlandish happens, probably best line of the day.
ReplyDeleteReally liked your inclusion of the cupcake's history. I'm wondering if small, cute Napoleon wanted his cake to match.
ReplyDeleteThis is a fascinating piece about one of my favorite foods. I especially enjoyed the information on the "number cakes." It is a simple piece of history and culture that not many people know about.
ReplyDeleteNice post fam!
ReplyDeleteHi Anushka,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you started off with saying that a cupcake to a cake is like a puppy to a dog. I was wondering, what's the difference between a cupcake and a muffin, because the older cupcakes looked kind of like a muffin.
Nice job!
Téa
Hi Téa,
DeleteThank you for your question! When cupcakes were first invented, they were a lot like muffins. They were not fluffy like the modern cupcakes we have com to know and love. They were much heavier and were probably not served with frosting.
Thanks,
Anushka
Anushka,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading about cupcakes!
I loved how you compared cupcakes to puppies because that was really interesting and creative. I also like how you include the easy ingredients that are usually used to make them. Do you bake cupcakes often and why did you choose to write about them?
Great job!
-Thea
Hi Thea,
DeleteThank you for your question! Yes, I do bake cupcakes often. I chose to write about them because I have had them at a to events throughout my childhood. They are really important to me... And also they're super yummy!:)
Thanks,
Anushka
Hey Anushka,
ReplyDeleteI loved your blog post! I personally love to eat ;)- and make cupcakes! I liked how you explained how they were connected to the french revolution. What is your personal favorite type of cup cake?
Keep up the great writing,
Sanne
Hi Sanne,
DeleteThank you so much for your comment and question! My personal favorite type of cupcake would probably be a tie between red velvet and chocolate. What's yours?:)
Thanks,
Anushka
Dear Anushka,
ReplyDeleteYour article gives a view of the psychological reasons why humans like cupcakes. It is in depth and fascinating. My one question for you is, where were cakes invented?
Sincerely,
William
Hi William,
DeleteThank you for your question! Cakes actually date all the way back to the 13th century, it's so surprising that the inventions of cupcakes took us so long! Egyptians were the first people to show signs of advanced baking skills and the name "cake" is actually a derivative of the word "kaka" from Old Norse.
Thanks,
Anushka:)
Dear Anushka,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this blog post! I love cupcakes, and it's extremely cool to hear the history behind what your eating, it makes the food so much more interesting! My one question would be what's your favorite type of cupcake? Great work!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Hi Rachel,
DeleteThank you so much for your comment! My favorite type of cupcake would probably have to be a tie between red velvet and chocolate. What's yours?
Thanks,
Anushka:)
Hi Anushka,
ReplyDeleteI love how chose something foo related and told us about the history and how it was invented. Also the comparison from cupcakes to puppies was really innovative and funny. What made you want to post about cupcakes?
great work!
-selina
Hi Selina,
DeleteThank you so much for your comment! The reason I decided to write about cupcakes is because they were at a lot of important events throughout my childhood and they seem to have a way of cheering me up. They're important to me... And they're delicious!:)
Thanks,
Anushka
Anushka
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your blog post. I liked the pictures a lot and they made me hungry just looking at them. Were cupcakes and cakes in general as sweet as they are now back in the early 1800s.Also did you mean baking soda? Sorry just kinda threw me off.
Milo
Hi Anushka!
ReplyDeleteI liked reading your blog post because your writing was really clear and concise. What is your favorite flavor of cupcake?
- Mikayla
Anushka
ReplyDeleteI liked how you created connections between cupcakes in your life, and cupcakes when they were first invented. Why did you choose cupcakes as your topic ?
great post !
Eric
Hi Anushka,
ReplyDeleteGreat job on your blogpost! I really liked your view on the cupcake and how young equals small and small equals cute. What were the differences between the older invented cupcakes and the modern-day cupcakes?
Kyra
Dear Anushka,
ReplyDeleteYour blog post was super well written and I really enjoyed reading it. I also really liked your title. Your post was very descriptive. I like cupcakes, but I never knew anything about the history of cupcakes before now. I liked how you were able to have a lot of good information but still make it interesting and relate it to yourself.
From,
Riley
Hi Anushka!
ReplyDeleteGreat Job on your blog post! Your personal touch was nice! I also love cupcakes. Why'd you choose this topic? Well done!
- Isabel
Dear Anushka,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you explained why people like cupcakes. I never really thought of it like that! My question to you is back then did cupcakes have frosting on top?
-Emma
Hi Anushka,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you related your post to a personal experience. Also, I like how you put pictures in the post. My question is, when did people start alternate recipes for cupcakes that were popular?
-Mick
Anushka,
ReplyDeleteWow, I loved the analogy about cupcakes are to cakes like puppies are to dogs! I never knew something I saw so often as a simple thing could have such an intricate history! Were there any differences between the older cupcakes and the modern-day cupcakes?
Best,
-Flexi