What Was It Like To Be A Girl During The Revolutionary War?
When I think about the American Revolution I think about George Washington and Benedict Arnold. I don’t think of any women. Women may have not been fighting in the war with weapons, but they were at home. These women were taking care of their children, cooking, and cleaning tirelessly. If women lost their husbands in fights, they would not have money to afford food and feed their kids. Women would sacrifice their life for their husbands as they act as heroes, when the women are truly the heroes I feel like there wasn’t much thought that went into how much work women and kids did to establish a healthy and safe living style. For example, if you to make a sandwich, you would need ham and bread. You would need to find a pig, learn to raise it, learn to kill it, and obviously they would have to pay for it. If you want bread you would have to grow wheat. Women have supported men fighting through the war and have worked as nurses for the ill and injured during the war.
. 
"Womens work at hopewell furnace." Womens work at hopewell furnace. N.p., n.d.
Web. 3 Feb. 2016. <http://www.nps.gov/hofu/learn/historyculture/
women-working-at-hopewell-furance.htm>.
"women in the revolutionary war." women in the revolutionary war. N.p., n.d.
Web. 4 Feb. 2016. <http://score.rims.k12.ca.us/score_lessons/
women_american_revolution/>.
Web. 4 Feb. 2016. <http://score.rims.k12.ca.us/score_lessons/
women_american_revolution/>.
Dear Selina,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post because it carries on a strong meaning that I agree with. We almost always talk only about famous men who are the "brave ones who go out and fight", but who's the one that's at home and doing all the work at home? It's the woman, and if you think about it, thats a really hard job and commitment. I like how you talked about the sandwich it really painted an image in my head, and put it into perspective.
Sincerely,
Adam
Hi Selina,
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your post, especially the first two lines. You really emphasized the fact that women were under-appreciated during the Revolutionary War. What do you think was the most important job women had to do? I loved your imagery with the sandwich.
Great Job,
Julia
Thank you Julia! I think the most important thing the women did during the revolutionary war was take care of their children. To me, I saw the women as always taking care of someone. They would sacrifice their life towards the children who will be creating and forming how the future will be. Great question!
Delete-selina
Selina,
ReplyDeleteI loved your simile about the sandwich. It realy helped me picture a real life instance with women back then. It really stays on topic and is easy to stay on track. Are there any more examples you could give about how important women were during revolutionary period.
Sincerely,
Zoe
Zoe,
DeleteI constantly think about how to put such a long train of work into perspective, not only with food but with housing as well. When you buy a house, how will you get to the house, get furniture, blankets, pillows, food,(and we go into the sandwich story again!). I think that everything ties to each other.
-selina
Hi Selina!
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about a side of the war that most people don't see. What do you think the war would have been like if it wasn't for the women?
- Mikayla
Hi Mikayla! I think that the world would be extremely different. If there were no women, who would take care of the injured and ill men in the war. Who would make their beds and find their food? I don't think men or people in general saw it, but men basically depended on these women to take care of them and their kids.
Deletethanks!
-selina
Selina,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you talked about the missing side of the story, since usually when people talk about wars they only talk about the men being heroes. I also liked your comparison to the sandwich. One question I have is how many woman were left without their husbands after the war? Great job!
Kyra
Hi Kyra! Great question. There was about 217,000 deaths. I think it is really important to honor the women that took on the pain of losing a loved one, and then being alone with children, and labeled as a widow.
Delete-selina
Dear Selina,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post! I thought it was cool how you took a new perspective to the role of women in the Revolution! I loved how you explained all the work that it took to make a sand which where as now we make them in two minutes with no thought. My question is do you think women had as big of an impact as men in the Revolutionary war?
-Sanne
Hi sanne,
DeleteThanks for the great feedback! I don't think the war would have been the same. The women were educating these kids who will be the future. They are the people that will try to prevent war. I'm not really sure if they had as much as an impact, if it wasn't for the women, our world would be a very different place, but it's the same for the men.
-selina
Dear Selina,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post for two reasons. One, you gave nice analogies to explain your point. Two, your looked at a different side too war than is most commonly seen you looked at the ways women participated in the conflict, which was very refreshing. My question for you is this, were there any women who actually fought in the war?
Sincerely,
William
William,
DeleteThanks for the positive comments on my post. There is one women named Deborah Samson who disguised her self to be a man. She served in various duties for about three years and was seriously wounded twice. After she was wounded she was discharged from the service, and later had three kids. Good question!
-selina
Dear Selina,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading about this blog post! There's so much more context about the woman than the man, and it makes this post really interesting. Normally, you would here about how the armies fought in the Revolutions (Which didn't consist of woman), so I liked how you wrote about what they did while during the Revolutionary War. My one question would be if you would ever be interested in being a woman in the revolutionary period? Great work!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Hi Rachel! Interesting question, I don't think I would want to be a women in the revolutionary war. I think ti would be very difficult having to take care of kids not knowing where my husband is and that he could easily loose his life. Or even a bomb exploding near them. It all seems so much. Men may have given their life to fight in the war, but women were sacrifising their life for the kids who will be here a lot longer than the kids. Women took on the of teaching kids manners and life lessons, and to this day most of those women are not honored.
DeleteThank you for the positive feedback!
selina
Hello Selina,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog post. It made me think about what it was like to be a girl back then. I don't think this was fair at all and I'm glad I learned about it. My question is would you want to be a girl during this time? Great job!
From,
Imara
Imara,
DeleteI think it would be extremely worrisome if I was a women in the Revolutionary War. I wouldn't know if my husband would come home that night, I'd be taking care of kids, cooking, cleaning, etc. Women, during that time, had an incredible amount of duties, and put their lives toward their kids.
Happy to know my post interested you:)
-selina
Dear Selina,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your post. It was very well written, especially the introduction. Reading this made me wonder about how different my life would be if I lived during the Revolutionary War, and how lucky I am to live in this time. Did any women actually fight in the war?
From,
Riley
Hi Selina!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post. I especially liked the beginning, and how you say you don't think of the women. Have you wondered what it's like to be a woman in the revolutionary time period? Nice Job!
- Isabel
Hi Isabel,l
DeleteThanks for the positive feedback my post. In my post, I taked about what it was like to be a women in the revolutionary war. I talked about how they wold devote their lives towards their kids and getting food for them and educating them.
selina:)
Hi Selina,
ReplyDeleteI really likes your post and I think that it's sad that women were forced to stay at home while men were out working. Do you think that it was ever possible for there to be a stay at home dad during this time period? How do you think that would change things?
Great post,
Anushka:)
Dear Selina,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you talked about women being the real heroes even though men get all of the credit. My question to you is did women every fight in the war?
-Emma
Dear Selina,
ReplyDeleteI really like your blog, and how it wasn't just talking about the me in the war but the women who were doing things almost as hard. My question is how did the women get money when the men were fighting?
Great blogging,
Cai
Selina,
ReplyDeleteI greatly enjoyed reading your post! I thought it was incredible how you looked at the role of women in the Revolution with a new perspective! Did any men stay home instead of going to war?
Best,
-Flexi