Tuesday, February 2, 2016

No Bones About It, Dogs Are Everybody's Best Friend


I haven’t always loved dogs. In fact, there was a time when I despised them and thought of them as cruel beasts, with salivating mouths and rabies. However, after I got over my traumatic experience involving a dog named Diego (I’ll get to that later), I’ve grown to love them for the large playful galumphs that they are. I am now a dog person and I’ll never go back to hating them. Dogs have been serving us for generations doing all manner of jobs from search and rescue to hunting with nobles.

Since the very beginnings of our race, dogs have been with us. They just weren’t dogs yet. All dogs are actually just wolves that have been bred selectively to fit certain roles. Dogs can be bred for all manner of things, from brown fur, to larger canine teeth. Dogs have been selectively bred for thousands of years and are extremely different form their ancestors: the Gray Wolf and the extinct Taymyr Wolf. Evidence of domestication has been found as far as 400,000 years ago !
These days, dogs have been bred to accomplish a huge number of tasks. Dogs like the Pointer and English Setter have been used as hunting dogs. These dogs were a hit with nobles that had the time and wealth to go on hunts for fowl and game. Guard dogs were originally bred to protect livestock from wolves and other predators but eventually were also used to protect against human intruders. This is evidenced by our modern K9 units which are used by law enforcement today. Another large subset of dogs are herding dogs, which hence their name were used for herding livestock, such as sheep.
However, dogs have also played a key part in the lives of some of the most influential
and well known people in history.
George Washington was said to have been a man who loved dogs and owned many. He was an avid hunter, and most of his dogs would have been used for hunting. The Marquis de Lafayette was known to have sent seven staghounds to George Washington in a sign of friendship. Sweet Lips, Scentwell, and Vulcan were the names of three of Washington’s staghounds. Dogs were also an integral part of French culture in the 1600s, most notable was the Bichon Frise, the dog of French Royalty. Unfortunately, after the french revolution, many pedigree dogs owned by royalty were killed with their owners and working dogs replaced the pampered greyhounds and Bichons.
Now, why did I choose dogs as my topic? Well, as you can probably guess, I love dogs and I have ever since I met Emmie. Emmie was a Labrador retriever with a ton of allergies, and she was my kindred spirit. Emmie belonged to my sister's best friend, and when we picked up my sister from her playdates I would wait for Emmie to come and lick my face and hands. If you don't know me, then you probably don’t know that I have a lot of allergies. The full list is: eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, tuna, shellfish, banana, pineapple, dairy products, gluten, and Penicillin. In Emmie, I had found a dog that had almost as many allergies as I did (The only ones I can remember are grass and pollen). I loved her to bits until we moved away from Brookline (where Emmie currently lives with her family) to Oregon, where I live today.
Following the year I met Emmie, I also discovered the magnificent Pembroke Welsh Corgi, the most glorious dog to ever grace this planet. After discovering them in an AKC (American Kennel Club) book of dog breeds, I couldn’t stop obsessing over them. I loved everything about them, from their cute little noses to their pudgy bellies. Ever since discovering Emmie and the Pembroke Welsh corgis, I’ve grown to see dogs for what they truly are, no matter what, they really are our best friends.

Cited sources:

Kelly, Kate. "George Washington and Dog, Revolutionary War." America Comes Alive. N.p., 11 Sept. 2012. Web. 02 Feb. 2016.

Wikimedia Foundation. "Working Dogs." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 02 Feb. 2016.

Fraser, Matthew. "The Mystery of Marie-Antoinette's Beloved Dog "Coco" - Matthew Fraser." Matthew Fraser. N.p., 19 June 2013. Web. 02 Feb. 2016.

"Origins of the Domesticated Dog." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 02 Feb. 2016.

Pictures:

George Washington by Gilbert Stuart, 1797








23 comments:

  1. Dogs are the best! They're such great companions, and I'm so glad to hear that you've changed your views. That's pretty awesome that the similarities between you and Emmie are what started to switch your feelings about pups. Glad to hear you aren't allergic to dogs though!

    Also, seeing as you love Corgi's, I hope these photos of Sneakers bring you some smiles! https://www.instagram.com/sneakersthecorgi/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eric,
    I really enjoyed your post on dogs. Although I'm not a dog person this post makes me hope that someday a dog like Emmie will come and make me like dogs. I was just wondering what happened between you and Diego?
    Thank you for reading,
    Kellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kellen
      Thanks for the compliments ! To answer your question Diego was a dog that traumatized me after chasing me through my neighborhood when I was young.
      Thanks
      Eric

      Delete
  3. Hi, Eric

    I liked how you went into detail with your story. You were also very descriptive in the history of dogs part of the essay. Do you know what happened to Emmie though?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric,
    I think that your post is fun and informative. I like your ideas behind this post and I enjoyed reading it. As an owner of two dogs myself, I agree with your enthusiasm for them. Question: How do you think that dogs may be different if their extinct cousin, the Taymyr Wolf, was still around?

    Great Post!
    Rylan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eric,
    I really enjoyed reading this post. As a Corgi lover as well I would like to ask, what do you like specifcaly about dogs or even just Corgis?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Eric,
    I love dogs vey much so enjoyed your post. I liked how you talked about how you "disliked" dogs but learned to love them and now enjoy it very much! What is your favorite dog and why?
    -Sanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Eric,
    I really enjoyed reading your article. It easily linked the almost opposites of dogs and historical figures. Your writing style is very clear and you get your point across very easily. My one question for you is, how do cats figure into history?
    Sincerely,
    William

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Eric,
    I really liked reading about this blog post. I have two dogs myself, and it was really cool to relate to someone that loves dogs too! Your blog post clearly states good points as too why dogs our are best friends. My one question would be did you ever end up or will end up getting a dog yourself? Great work!
    Sincerely,
    Rachel Y.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Eric,
    I really liked how descriptive and in detail you got with your post!
    Do you have any cons to having a dog or why you would never want one!
    Cool post!
    -selina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Eric
    I liked your post a lot, and your description was really good. What other dogs do you like? Do you have a dog?

    Good job, Bram

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Eric!
    Your post was very well written and clear. I like how you told a story about yourself while still giving your readings some information about dogs. What other dog breeds do you like?
    - Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Eric,

    Your post was very well written and fascinating. I can relate to it because I used to be scared of dogs, but I am not any more because I got a dog who is not mean at all. Do you have a dog or do you plan on getting one soon?

    From,
    Riley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eric,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I liked how you connected personally as well. Is there anything that you don't like about dogs? Nice Work
    - Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. eric,
    I enjoyed reading your post, and I own a dog so I love them as well. I thought it was really interesting how in the beginning you hated dogs but now you love them. My question for you is, do yo own a corgi?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Eric,
    I thought your blog post was really good! I definitely agree, dogs are the best. I haven't ever been afraid of them, but I thought that your part about you being afraid of them at first was really interesting. My question is, why do you like corgis so much?
    Nice job,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eric,
    I know that you are very passionate about dogs and it was really interesting to see how that tied into your writing. Your post was informative and fun, and your title really drew me in. If you were to get a dog, what would you name it?
    Great post,
    Anushka

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Eric,
    Amazing post! It is so powerful and deep! I completely agree with you! My dog is by far my BEST FRIEND! I agree with Anushka!Your title completely drew me in. I was actually looking for a certain post, and not even to comment on, but then I saw your post and decided to read it! Why do you think dogs have such a strong pull on people? I think that it is more than just their cuteness!(Although they are of course adorable!)
    Great Writing!
    -Tulip

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Eric,
    I really liked how you talked about getting over your fear of dogs and now adoring them! You balanced out your information and personal experiences really well! My question to you is do you think that you will get a dog in the future?
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Eric,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. It was inspiring to hear about your fear and getting over it. Your title made me want to read more. Is there other types of dogs that you like?

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Eric,

    I really enjoyed this post! It was amazing to hear about your fear and how you overcame it! As a Corgi lover as well, I would love to know what you like specifically about Corgis!

    Best,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete