 |
| Marie Antoinette |
When people think of Marie Antoinette they think "bad", and, of course, she is. However she had power, and a lot of it. This in itself is special, think back on America's history, have we ever had a woman president? No. Why not? France, England, Argentina, Canada, Germany, are just some of the many countries that have had a strong female leader. Now of course I am not saying that Marie Antoinette is a good role model or even someone to look up to, but growing up in American society where women have always been looked down on, and never gotten equal rights, It is nice to know that it is possible.
 |
Louis Joseph
(The dead son) |
Perhaps Marie Antoinette was not the perfect choice for this entry, but I do think that it is important to bring her up. She no doubt was a bad, bad person, but she was still a human being, a mother. In fact when the revolution started her eight year old son had just died. Marie fell into deep depression, so when the fighting started, she just wondered why more people were not in deep morning over the loss of her son. Whatever you say about Marie Antoinette, she loved her family dearly. And that love, was part of the reason she had so much power.
So all in all, why, in America, do woman have to fight so hard to just be heard? If Hilary Clinton gets elected, she will be are first woman president, that puts us only a couple hundred years behind France. As a girl growing up in 2016, in America that is a huge deal. Of course the effects are dulled in part to the Catlin Gabel, we have always (or almost always) had a woman/girl in power. For example, The vice president in the middle school, the president in the high school, all girls. This is not to say that having 44 presidents and not one of then a woman is a little depressing, but it softens the wound.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Antoinette
http://www.biography.com/people/marie-antoinette-9398996
http://www.history.com/topics/marie-antoinette
http://www.history.com/news/ask-history/did-marie-antoinette-really-say-let-them-eat-cake
Hi Meagan,
ReplyDeleteI loved your blog post. I think it is very important to talk about the women that were powerful in the revolutionary time. I believe it is very important to think about where we are in terms of other countries. The only thing I wonder is; how do you think it affected powerful men when Marie Antionette was in power? I really hope you write more about women in power, because you have a real talent.
Thanks,
Julia :)
Hi Meagan,
ReplyDeleteI absolutely loved your blog post. It had so much depth to it, and it was super great. My question is, why do you think America hasn't had a woman president, and how has that affected society and young girls (or girls of any ages) aspirations, hopes, and/or dreams?
Well done,
Sophie
Hi Meagan,
ReplyDeleteI like you talking about Hilary and getting modern day politics into this subject. My question is who is Marie Antoinette?
Kristin,
DeleteBesides what I said in this post, Marie Antoinette was a queen of France, she was a really, really, really bad person. She was a person though, she had a lot of children, she was a wife, she was happy, she was sad. However, she was bad. She was involved in politics, and her oppression of the people helped cause the french revolution.
Meagan
Dear Meagan,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you chose a women like Marie Antoinette who, as you acknowledged multiple times was a bad person, but which you used to prove that it was possible for a women to have power and also to point out the many inadequacies of the american government. My one question is, what are the circumstances surrounding the infamous "Let them eat cake." line?
Sincerely,
William
William,
DeleteThere is no proof that she ever said that and most sites that I have looked at say that it is very unlikely.
Hi Meagan,
ReplyDeleteGreat Job, I really liked the way you wrote your post.
I agree, that even though Marie Antoinette was a very horrible and dangerous person, having women in power is very crucial!
Did you know that Isabel ( our CGS president) was the only girl presidents in I think 15 years? That is a super terrible fact.
Nice post!
-Tulip
Tulip,
DeleteWow, I did not know that, that is really bad! Thanks for telling me.
-Meagan
Hey Meagan,
ReplyDeleteGreat job on your blog post! I liked how you used Mary Antoinette as an example but admitted that she was a terrible person. I also liked how one of the major points in your blogpost was about how woman should have more power. I agree and it is essential that people know how important it is to have woman in power and how it affects our society. A question I have for you is: what are some of the horrible things Marie Antionette did? Again, great job!
Kyra
Meagan,
ReplyDeleteI loved your blog post! I agree that it is very important to learn about the women that were powerful in the revolutionary time. I believe it is very important to know that women can have power, especially when you are growing up, to encourage women to stand up for what is right. If girls do not know it it possible to have power themselves, they most likely will not try to. I liked how you proved that it was possible for women to have power. Do you think much will change if Hilary Clinton becomes president?
Great job!
Mara
Mara,
DeleteI think that it will take a really long time for things to be equal. I do think that having a woman president will jump start the process. I think things will change a lot faster if we have a woman president. That said, I think that eventually we will have equal rights, even if takes a long time.
Great Question
Meagan
Meagan,
ReplyDeleteI loved your blog post and how you connected women's rights todays to how women were treated as and how they were accepted/treated a long time ago yet still talked about Marie Antoinette. What do you think we should change in our society for girls?
Keep up the great blogging!
~Sanne
Dear Meagan,
ReplyDeleteI loved this post a lot because it talks about something that isn't always commonly spoken about. I can relate to how sad it is how we haven't had a woman president yet, and you really had so many good reasons and details about why we should. I like how you say were a bit behind France, and I think this is true because they've had woman leaders, and America hasn't. My one question would be did you ever have a time where you felt like you were in power or felt like a leader? Great work!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Hi Meagan!
ReplyDeleteI really liked you blog post! It was very interesting to hear a different side of Marie Antoinette. America is behind some other countries that have already had powerful female leaders. Your post made me think al lot! Good job!! What do you think having a woman leader in America would do to our society?
- Mikayla
Table of contents: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZgdJOC-uZ04a8AhneO9xICWONfQWW-FQUJgXAIUDjBw/edit#
DeleteMeagan
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you portrayed Marie Antoinette as a real person, rather than just something to study. You are absolutely right that America has not elected a female president despite the fact that there are countless numbers of strong women in America. Have you ever felt that you were given less privileges or discriminated against because of your gender ?
great post !
Eric
Eric,
DeleteHonestly I have not ever felt discriminated because of being a girl, I know that I should, I know that women are often discriminated, and are hardly ever in leadership, however I personally have never felt discriminated. I think that is partially because of my family and school.
Great question!
Meagan
Hello Meagan,
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your blog post. I liked how you showed a different perspective of Marie then what I usually see. My question if Hillary Clinton becomes president, do you think more females will have the jobs that men have right now?
From,
Imara
Meagan,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading you post and I loved the different perspective you wrote about Marie having. Do you think that it is common for young women to be put down or given less opportunities?
Great post,
Anushka:)
Dear Meagan,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you included Catlin Gabel. My question to you is do you think that you will run for president in high school (if you continue to go to Catlin)?
-Emma
Dear Meagan,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your blog post. The ending was very good and I like how you were able to connect all of Catlin Gabel to your piece. Why do you think America is so late to have a woman in leadership?
From,
Riley
Honestly I don't know, our country has always had a past of discrimination, weather that racism, ageism (yes that is a thing) or gender. I don't think that it is any one thing but I do think that the majority wants to be in power.
Delete-Meagan
Hey Meagan!
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your blog post, it had a lot of good info and it was cool that you chose to write about something that isn't commonly written about. My question is when Marie was in power what do you think the men thought of her? Nice Work
- Isabel
Isabel,
DeleteWow! I never thought about that. When Marie took the throne, and married she was 14, just a girl. I would imagine that people were more upset about having a child rule them then a girl. I do not think (until the revelation) they ever questioned her power, she used money like crazy, and wasn't the best queen, thinking of herself, before her people. She had a lot of power though, and was very influential in politics.
Good question,
Meagan
Meagan,
ReplyDeleteI also did a blog post on Marie Antoinette, and it is extremely interesting to compare mine to yours! The writing is beautiful, yet I have a few questions. You refer to Marie as a "bad person" multiple times, but I slightly disagree. Wasn't she very sensitive to the poor side of France? Wasn't the whole "let them eat cake" dilemma a distasteful rumor? Nonetheless, I loved your post. Its conveys the life of such an important person in history, and I love the curiosity the post sparks deep inside me to answer my unanswered questions and seek the truth!
Best,
-Flexi