The Watt Steam Engine
One of the greatest inventions of the industrial revolution was the Watt steam engine. James Watt improved the steam engine and the steam engine he created impacts my life.
James Watt lived from January 19, 1736 to August 25, 1819. He lived in Greenock, Scotland for a while and then he moved to an area near Birmingham England. One day in Scotland, Watt was repairing a Newcomen steam engine. He found a way to improve it by adding a separate condenser to avoid energy loss. Here is a cool link that shows the steam engine and how it works: http://science.howstuffworks.com/steam-technology3.htm
James Watt's life was highly impacted by this tool but it has also been highly important for many other people and in many different areas of the industrial revolution, especially in rotary form. Watt's steam engine mainly affected factories, transportation and other steam powered technologies. James watts actions were so powerful that they named the watt after him. A watt is a unit of power. It is measured in one joule per second. A good way to think about it is 750 watts is equal to 1 horsepower.
This was a major stepping stone on the way to modern engines. By creating this steam engine it allowed different areas of manufacturing to be improved and streamlined the process of many kinds of production. If it weren't for this highly efficient steam engine our modern technologies would not be as advanced and efficient.
James Watt has affected my life in many different ways. He single-handedly changed my transportation options. Transportation plays a huge role in my life because If I did not have a car I could not live the lifestyle I do. James Watt has also impacted the way people think about engine power including the one in the car that my family drives today.
Sites:
https://prezi.com/1ucecz9gpl_n/james-watt-the-invention-that-changed-the-world/
https://www.google.com/search?q=watt+steam+engine&espv=2&biw=1093&bih=485&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3wp7NgerKAhVU2mMKHe_EDSkQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=DSEgjVE6aD0VqM%3A

Dear Parker,
ReplyDeleteI like how you told me facts about James, then how it helped you.
So my question is, if your car does not use a steam engine, how does it help you with transportation?
-Sean
Dear sean,
DeleteA steam engine is used on steam engines/steam trains and on steam boats. Those are the two that stand out in my head but I am sure there are more.
-Parker
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Parker,
ReplyDeleteI like how you talked about and explain how watts is connection to the steam engine. How was the steam engine used.
Dear Kristin,
DeleteThe steam engine was used for steam boats and steam engine. At least that is what I assume are some of the primary uses.
-Parker
Parker,
ReplyDeleteI like that you told the story of how watts got there name. In what other ways, not just transportation, has James Watt invetion changed your life?
Good job,
Katie
Hi Parker,
ReplyDeleteNice job on your blog post!
I really liked the way you explained how it connected to you.
Why do you think that people stopped using steam?
Great work!
-Tulip
Dear Tulip,
DeleteSteam engines where one of the primary uses for a steam engine and after the combustion engine was refined they found that it was a lot more efficient than coal and needed less stops unlike steam where you had to stop for coal and water.
-Parker
Hi Parker,
ReplyDeleteI liked your post because it explains a lot of history behind the Steam Engine. I was about to ask how it affects your life, but then you neatly revolved the end around how it affects you which I thought was great. Would there have been any other more efficient engines he could've invented instead of using steam?
Sincerely,
Adam
Dear Adam,
DeleteThe steam engine was the only usable engine they could use at the time and the only one that could make decent power given the first effective combustion engine was developed in 1859 and this was in 1736-1819.
Dear Parker,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how your post made me feel grateful that James Watts had invented his machine. Your post was a nice comment on this time honed subject and your description is both satisfactory and compelling.My one question for you is this, what is the exchange rate from watts to volts and vice versa?
Sincerely,
William
Hi Parker,
ReplyDeleteI liked how your blog post was very informative! I also liked how you tied something invented so long ago to you. How did you learn about James Watt and what made you interested about his invention?
-Sanne
Dear Sanne,
DeleteI learned about James Watt because I was researching inventors for this blog post and I stumbled across James watt and I learned he invented/refined a type of steam engine and i am interested about any type of engine because it usually leads to some kind of transportation.
Hi Parker,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading this blog post! It had so much info on the Watt steam engine and had so many good points. My one question would be are there still transportation like what James Watt created? Great work!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Parker
ReplyDeleteI thought that this was a very informative and interesting. I liked how you
talked about how this invention benefits you. One question I had was how has the watt engine affected modern day transportation?
nice post!
maxen
Hi Parker!
ReplyDeleteI liked reading your post because it had a lot of interesting facts and information. How would transportation be different today if the Watt Steam Engine had never been invented?
- Mikayla
Parker,
ReplyDeleteI didn't not know a lot about the Watt Steam Engine before reading your post. It was informative and interesting. I liked your visual as well.
Great work!
Anushka:)
Dear Parker,
ReplyDeleteYour post has a lot of great information and I was able to learn a lot of new things about the Watt Steam Engine. I also like how you were able to make a personal connection at the end. Was the Watt Steam Engine powered by coal?
From,
Riley
Dear Parker,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you included an interesting photo in your post and added a link so that people could learn more.
-Emma
Parker,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post. I also liked the photo that you included and I learned a lot about the Watt Steam Engine. I also liked how you made a personal connection at the end. What was it powered by? Nice work
- Isabel
Unknown,
ReplyDeleteWhat a compelling and informative blog post! I loved how you tied something invented so long ago to yourself and your personal life. How did you learn about James Watt and what made you interested about his invention?
Best,
-Flexi