Thursday, February 4, 2016

And You Thought The Timeout Chair Was Horrible Enough...

For my teach a class, I am planning to do it on medieval torture devices.  Some I've heard of, but some are just plain crazy.  Here is some of the stuff I've learned.

During the Revolutions era, people who committed crimes were given far worse treatment than from your average jailhouse.  Though the devices aren't used anymore, they represent a lot of the technology people used from early C.E. to the 19th century.  Many of the machines were invented in the Middle Ages and were evolved during the Revolutions.  Torture devices have not been largely used since World War II.

The torture rack is one of the earliest known torture devices.  Don't panic, the skeleton is probably not real.  The prisoner's wrists and ankles are tied to two rollers on opposite sides of a frame.  During the interrogation, the roller on the top would gradually increase tension on the ropes, stretching upper body.  Though it is not such a good yoga machine since it can dislocate many body parts and create excruciating pain.  The first known use of it was during Alexander the Great's reign when the conspirators of an assassination attempt were tortured on it.

Stocks were not used in the underground torture chambers but out in public.  The three holes in the wood immobilized the hands and head.  The feet would get chained to the ground so the victim would not be going anywhere.  Stocks were used to contain prisoners.  They were also used to expose criminals to public humiliation.  The earliest reference to this contraption appeared in the Bible when disciples of Jesus were arrested.

What I'm working on now is a children's book about the Minutemen.  They were a militia during the American Revolution that would "fight at a minute's notice." It was made up of Massachusett's citizens.  They were involved in the Battle of Lexington and Concord, the first battle of the American Revolution.









So remember, don't get stuck in stocks.  You wouldn't be able to go anywhere anytime soon.




 






Sources:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_(torture)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stocks 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Revolution
http://1000facts.com/15-of-the-most-horrifying-medieval-torture-devices-in-history/
http://www.eventprophire.com/themes/medieval/medieval-pillory-stocks-2
http://voiceseducation.org/content/american-revolutionary-war

31 comments:

  1. Hi Grant,
    I found your piece very funny but also with a lot of good information. I was wondering however, why you did not mention the guillotine? It seems like a very famous torture device. Anyways, your post was very good as it had really good information and it was funny.
    Keep up the good blogging,
    Kellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though the guillotine is very famous, or infamous, and was used during the Revolutions era, I didn't have enough time to find the info and put it in the post before the blog post was due.

      Delete
  2. Hi Grant,

    I found your post very interesting. My question is, were there a lot of other torture devices used back then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was, but I didn't want to overload on information in one post. I decided to do the ones I thought were interesting or are very well known when people look at it, but don't know the history behind it.

      Delete
  3. Grant,
    I love how you incorporated some humor into your blog post. It made it very interesting and more fun to read. However, to me at least it was a little bit unclear what was done to the people in stocks after they had been put into it.
    Sincerely,
    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To put it in a simpler way, they were used to transport prisoners to places. The stocks unabled them to go anywhere.

      Delete
  4. Hi Grant!
    I liked how you added some humor and relatable comments in your blog post. It made it seem more relatable instead of just an essay. I also like your title! What in your opinion is the worst tourture device used?
    - Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst torture device that was used in my opinion is the torture rack because it is just increasing pain as the interrogation goes on until the body parts break.

      Delete
  5. Hey Grant,
    Really great writing! I like how you talked about your other projects, and incorporated them into your blog post. Why do you think people stopped torture devices? (Not because I think that they should still be used because!!!!)
    Great Blog post!
    -Tulip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People stopped using torture devices because new technology allowed better techniques for interrogation

      Delete
  6. Hi Grant,
    I really liked you blog post and how you had lots of detail but it captured me and I wanted to keep reading. I liked how you talked about a few torture devices and not just one or two. My question is what crimes caused you to be tortured by these (horrible!!) devices?
    -Sanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most torture devices were used on potencial spies to get information out of them.

      Delete
  7. Dear Grant,
    What an interesting article! You take a morbid subject like torture and twist it into something almost lighthearted. I love how you give the information in a clear way with no beating around the bush. My question for you is, what is the most painful torture?
    Sincerely,
    William

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many torture devices, and probably not all of them were discovered by historians. I think there is no way of knowing.

      Delete
  8. Hi Grant,
    This was really interesting thing to read about, and I liked how it was lighthearted. Why would people have to do these things and who would make them?
    Great job!
    Téa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Grant,
    I really enjoyed reading about this prospect in the revolutionary era! It's really interesting, and you really included all the good facts that caught my attention. My one question would be that if you had to pick a torture device that was the only one used in the Revolutions, what would it be? Great work!
    Sincerely,
    Rachel Y.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there was only one torture device used throughout Revolutions, I think it would be the stocks. The stocks help transport prisoners safely and put those prisoners out in public which I think is pretty bad torture.

      Delete
  10. Grant,
    I loved how you made your post funny on something so serious and scary. I happen to find torture stuff super interesting even if it's freaky. Am I correct for thinking that the torture rack rips limbs off and was sometimes used with horses on each limb?
    Milo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno about the horse,s but the torture rack can rip limbs off if used to its maximum potential. I would guess that many people talked before that happened.

      Delete
  11. Grant
    What and interesting topic ! I personally love the occasional grisly torture machine so it made great reading ! Do you know what the first form of torture was ?
    great post !
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think historians would argue over that since the first torture devices were discovered from their plans.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Grant,

    I really enjoyed reading your post. The title was very clever. You included a lot of good information and I learned a lot. Where there other torture devices than just the ones you talked about? If so, was the guillotine considered one?

    From,
    Riley

    ReplyDelete
  14. The guillotine was used more for execution than torture. So I would say no.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grant,
    I really liked reading your post. The title especially was very clever. I learned a lot about the torture devices. What was the most harmful torture device in your opinion? Nice Job
    - Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the most harmful torture device is the iron maiden. It's a closet with spikes lined on the inside of it. When the door closes with the person in it, it's pretty gnarly.

      Delete
  16. Grant,
    Nice post! You had a great title and intro that really pulled me in. Your visuals were fun and interesting and you included a lot of good information. Were there any similar torture devices from around the world?
    Great post,
    Anushka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, except the torture devices were made out of different material, like wood or metal or stone.

      Delete
  17. Dear Grant,
    I really liked how you included some humor in your post. I also really liked the title! It was very creative! My question to you is did kids ever get tortured?
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If kids were suspected spies, they were interrogated the same way. If they committed theft, it is more likely they did stocks instead of any of the painful devices.

      Delete
  18. Grant North,

    Haha! The title of this post is absolutely priceless! I can't believe people actually tortured kids if they acted suspicious! What a crazy world we live in! What do you think is the most harmful device they used?

    May your limbs stay appended to your body,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete