Schools are a very large part of children's lives. It takes up about 7 ½ hours of our lives everyday. But, schools have changed a lot. Here is a question from an 8th grade test in 1895:
A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. wide.
How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
I doubt any of you reading this will be able to answer that question. This was a math question, and it seems like it was much more focusing on practical uses than the type math we learn today. This question doesn’t even mention wheat until the end. So, since I didn’t grow up in 1895, I wouldn’t be able to apply the largeness of the box, toward how many bushels of wheat fit in it. There is no frame of reference in my life that would help me answer just that question. But, people in 1895 would probably have no idea how to answer a question like:
A car trunk is 2 ft. deep, 5 feet long, and 3 ft. wide.
How many laptops will it hold?
When I think about the difference between schools now and back then, the first thing that comes to mind is the difference in technology. At Catlin Gabel, we sit on chairs that roll around the room, even write on whiteboard tables, sit in front of a computer and have access to nearly endless amounts of information. Back then, instead of computers they had books, instead of whiteboards they had chalkboards and instead of large tables in the classroom, they had personal desks. Even though technology gives us so much more information, but now we nearly only rely on technology. Most of my classmates enjoy having so much technology, but I personally don’t enjoy working so much with a computer and would like to write on paper much more. Computers are very complicated and there's so much that I don’t understand, and can fully use. This technology wasn’t invented until not long ago, and so we just suddenly jumped to using computers over paper. Even using phones is a problem at school. In 1895 that would be absolutely out of the question. Technology helps so much and makes assignments usually much swifter. School now is much more casual, especially here at Catlin Gabel, the teachers are not strict at all, and we can even call them by their first names.

Dear Adam,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your article because it afford a lot of really interesting comparisons between the schools of the late eighteen hundreds and modern day schools. My question is, did the schools dramatically improve from the eighteen hundreds to the nineteen hundreds?
Good Job,
William
Dear Adam,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post, it was very interesting to compare those schools.
Why do you think that the questions changed so dramatically?
Great Article.
-Tulip
Adam,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your post and I thought there were very good comparisons of schools now and then. My question is why do you think we can call the teachers but their first name now?
Nice job,
Mara
Adam,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your perspective of technology and how schools use it now compared to 1895. My question is why do you think school has changed so much over the years? I don't just mean with technology but also with the tables and the chalk boards to white boards.
Emma
Hi Adam!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post about school. I liked your math problem comparison! It was really interesting to think about how school has changed. Technology is definitely a big part of school now. 1895 was a long time ago, and I liked how you could still relate it to the present. It is interesting to think about how schools in the past seemed more practical. Do you think that all of the change in schools is good? Why do you think that schools have gotten less strict over the years? Good work!
- Mikayla
Table of contents: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZgdJOC-uZ04a8AhneO9xICWONfQWW-FQUJgXAIUDjBw/edit#
DeleteAdam,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading about how schools have changed from 1895 to a modern day classroom. I really liked the questions you put in because it was funny to see that in 1895 they had questions about wheat and now we have questions about laptops. I thought you put it into a really nice perspective. Also how you think about the difference in the technology from books, chalkboards, and personal desks to laptops, whiteboards, and large tables. I also like how you, personally, would rather write on paper because the laptops are more complicated. Why do you think the technology has changed so much?
Really nice post and great job!
-Thea
Adam,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading about how schools have changed from 1895 to a modern day classroom. I really liked the questions you put in because it was funny to see that in 1895 they had questions about wheat and now we have questions about laptops. I thought you put it into a really nice perspective. Also how you think about the difference in the technology from books, chalkboards, and personal desks to laptops, whiteboards, and large tables. I also like how you, personally, would rather write on paper because the laptops are more complicated. Why do you think the technology has changed so much?
Really nice post and great job!
-Thea
ReplyDeleteAdam,
I really liked hearing about what you think about the differences in technology in schools and in our lives today. I never really put much thought into how much technology we have compared to back then. I like that you used examples of specific math problems. We really take for granted how much easier is with all the technology. I agree that although technology is very helpful but sometimes using books and paper can be nice. I really enjoyed reading your blog, nice job it was great!!
Essie
Hi Adam! It was really interesting reading about the all the comparisons you did about Catlin Gabel to the revolutionary way. My question is, why was it disrespectful to call teachers by their first name, and why is it okay now?
ReplyDeleteGreat Post -selina
Dear Adam,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you included the examples of the laptop and bushels of wheat. My question is, what are the dimensions of a bushel of wheat?
Great post!
-Mick
Hi Adam,
ReplyDeleteThis post is really cool to read because it compares schools now to schools in the 1800's. The examples you have from the different tests are really cool to compare, and have changed so much over time. My one question would be would you have rather been at a school than or in a school now? Great work!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Hi, Adam
ReplyDeleteI liked how you included the comparison of modern day to the past as an example. My question is how did the size of classrooms change?
Great job, Bram
Hi Adam,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your post and how you compared schools today to schools back then. I liked how you used sample problems. I also liked how you talked about how Catlin is comared to schools in the 1800's. Were the subjects different back then then they are now?
Keep Blogging,
~Sanne
Hello Adam,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog post. It was great how you compared now to then. I never really thought about what it would be like to go to school back then. My question is did girls and boys have to wear certain clothes to school?
From,
Imara
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Adam,
ReplyDeleteI liked how in your blog post, you included a math problem from a textbook and gave specific examples of how Catlin is different from 19th century schools. This was an interesting post to read. I also agree with you that we should use a little less technology. What subjects (besides Media Arts) do we have that that schools didn't in 1895, and what classes did they have that we don't (if any?)
Charlotte
Dear Adam,
ReplyDeleteI liked how in your blog post, you included a math problem from a textbook and gave specific examples of how Catlin is different from 19th century schools. This was an interesting post to read. I also agree with you that we should use a little less technology. What subjects (besides Media Arts) do we have that that schools didn't in 1895, and what classes did they have that we don't (if any?)
Charlotte
Dear Adam,
ReplyDeleteI liked how in your blog post, you included a math problem from a textbook and gave specific examples of how Catlin is different from 19th century schools. This was an interesting post to read. I also agree with you that we should use a little less technology. What subjects (besides Media Arts) do we have that that schools didn't in 1895, and what classes did they have that we don't (if any?)
Dear Adam,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you compared two math Questions, one from back then and one from now. I think that it is really weird that we have all just been consumed into the modern era and now do not understand questions like they asked back then.
My Question is: How do you think that schools now would work without the amount of Tech that we have?
Thanks!
-Alec
Hi Adam,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your comparison of the different math problems, math has changed a lot! It was cool to see how the questions evolved as we did.
Great post!
Anushka:)
Hi Adam,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you compared the schools from back then, and the math problems really made me think of how much different times are. I really enjoyed reading it. My question is, how do you think technology has affected our lives (in school)?
Nice job!
Sophie
Dear Adam,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how the school day back then, to the school day now! My question to you is would you be okay with not having tech at school?
-Emma
Dear Adam,
ReplyDeleteI though it was really interesting how you wrote about a topic that is such a big part of all of our lives. I like how compared school today to school back then. The math problem comparison was very creative and a good way to show just how different school today is from during the revolutions. You said that you personally prefer writing on paper over computers, but would you feel the same way about researching things?
From,
Riley
Dear Adam,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you compared two math Questions, one from back then and one from now. I think that it is really weird that we have all just been consumed into the modern era and now do not understand questions like they asked back then.
My Question is: How do you think that schools now would work without the amount of Tech that we have?
Thanks!
-Alec
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Adam,
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your blog and what you had to say not only about schools in the 1800s but also in 2016. I also like how you explained why you don't always like using computers in school now. My question his do you think kids in the 1800s had to do more work like a math equation because they don't have the materials that we do?
Great blogging,
Cai
Adam,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog and thought it was interesting how you compared something to what we do almost every day. My question is would you be okay without technology at school and if so would you prefer to not have technology at school? Well done
- Isabel
Dear Adam,
ReplyDeleteI thought it was very interesting that you gave both pros and cons to school then and school now. Do you like school now better than you would school then? If so, then what is your favorite aspect of today's school?
Adam,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post. I thought it was cool how you gave the two questions, and it was interesting that I had absolutely no idea with the wheat, but I could roughly guess the laptop one.
Nice job,
Meagan
Adam's Applesauce,
ReplyDeleteIt's so interesting to hear what you think about the vast differences in technology in schools and in our lives today. I feel we really take for granted how much easier life is with all our advanced technology, and though I agree technology is a very helpful advance in society, sometimes using books and paper can be nice. Do you think the same? Amazing post!
Best,
-Flexi