Monday, February 15, 2016

What Does Gender Equality Have to Do with Eventing in the Olympic Games?

       There is no sport in the world quite like horseback riding. First off, you won't find a bond in any stadium as unique as that between horse and rider- the sports are just trust exercises, with a few dangerous obstacles in the mix. Secondly, it might be the only sport in the world where people of all ages, races, genders, and body types can compete in the same arena as respected equals.
         It wasn't always that way, however. Eventing became popular in the late 1800s, and competition resembling the current first took place in 1902 at the Champonniat du Cheval d-Armes, in France. Equestrian sports were first introduced into the Olympic Games in 1900, and, ironically, none of those sports (polo, for example) are in today's Olympics. Eventing came around in 1912, and then, it was very exclusive.
         "Exclusive" meaning that only young commissioned officers in uniform, along with their military horses could compete- women were considered too delicate and weak. In fact, until 2004, the Classic format was used, a form originally developed to test cavalry troops. The first woman to compete was Lana DuPont Wright, in 1964. It should be noted that not only did she compete, she won a silver medal for the United States. Non-commissioned Army officers couldn't compete until 1956; male civilians were allowed to participate in 1924. Those weren't the only limitations- in addition, all Olympic athletes had to be amateurs.
           Classic format became the standard by 1924, at which point the five cross country phases totaled more than twenty miles. I can't imagine that, as that one person who has trouble getting the stubborn horse over a single fence I could step over.
          This, of course, isn't considering the ancient Olympic Games, where women couldn't even watch. The ancient Games included mounted and chariot races, but, instead of the jockeys, horse owners stood on the podium. Today, horse owners still get the bulk of the purse, but riders get to stand on the podium as well- regardless of their gender, thank goodness.
          As I've said before, riding is one of the few sports where everyone can compete as equals. This raises the question, why don't all sports have the same expectations for men and women? At our all-school track meet, we (as in, the girls) use the boy's shot in shot put, and we run, jump and throw the same distance. Using that different equipment, going that extra stride, jumping that extra foot, helps me develop my physical abilities better. If I could do this in more sports, and other girls could as well, we would be, as a whole, more physically fit and, in addition, more sports would probably be co-ed. Negative stereotypes, like the suffix "like a girl" might fall out of use, as they should have way earlier.
         Eventing is a truly special sport. You get a workout and you make a friend- surviving many near-death experiences with your horse and all the time you spend grooming them will pay off. As an equestrian today, I'm ridiculously thankful that eventing has come as far as it has. I might not be able to ride at all, or ride in breeches, if it hadn't. And, for those skeptics- if you think riding isn't a sport, you're invited to my barn any time.
Screen-Shot-2013-03-20-at-3.00.48-PM.png (377×349)
Before 1924, only male commissioned officers could compete in eventing competitions. 

The first link is a history of eventing, the second is about Lana DuPont Wright (remember her?)
http://practicalhorsemanmag.com/article/jim-wofford-history-of-eventing-29598
http://theequestrianista.com/?p=2363

16 comments:

  1. Hi Coco!
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I ride horses as well, and so I thought that it was interesting to read a post written by someone who shares my passion. Your post was very well written, and it brought up some very good points about gender equality as far as horseback riding, and more specifically; eventing, is concerned. I wonder what our sport would be like if some of these early pioneers of equal riding had gone down a different path. I really enjoyed your post. Keep up the good work!
    - Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like reading about horses even if i don't know very much about some of the things. Why is the horseback riding not it today Olympics? Also Who are some of these people? Hope you keep on riding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Coco,
    You work on this piece is marvelous! One can tell that you have strong opinions on the subject and that shows through in your work, rather than read like a article in a blog it sounds like a speech made to the masses. My one question is this, when and where were the first equestrian sports held?
    Sincerely,
    William

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Coco,
    I love how you are talking about gender equality in sports, its something that I also wish could be more equal. I love how you talked about the bond between rider and horse. Just wondering inst it better to have a smaller rider or does size and weight not effect the horses performance?
    Great Post!
    -Sophia S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Coco,
    I love how you are talking about gender equality in sports, its something that I also wish could be more equal. I love how you talked about the bond between rider and horse. Just wondering inst it better to have a smaller rider or does size and weight not effect the horses performance?
    Great Post!
    -Sophia S

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Charlotte,
    absolutely amazing piece! I enjoyed reading, and feel that I've learned a lot from the piece, even though I knew barely anything about it until reading this. I can really see your strong feelings about this subject, and your writing was really smooth and quite inspirational. However, I would like to know what allowed DuPont to compete, if no women had before her.
    Good job!

    Love, Patina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Charlotte,
    I love that you talked about gender equality in sports which many girls and boys are affected by in our life. I also liked how you talked about bonds that horses and humans have! What type of horses are your favorite and what would you change about horseback riding today if you could?
    ~Sanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Charlotte,
    I loved reading this blog post! Gender equality in sports has been a problem for a long time, and your relation to this is extremely deep and informative. My one question would be how long have you been riding a horse? Great work!
    Sincerely,
    Rachel Y.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Charlotte,
    I liked your post a lot and I thought that it was relatable for me being a girl who is very competitive. It was informative and fun to read
    Great post,
    Anushka:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Charlotte,
    I really liked how you connected horses to equality! My question to you is how long have you been riding ?
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charlotte,
    I really enjoyed reading your blogpost. I liked how you first incorporated your passion of horseback riding into it and then at the end started to talk more about gender equality. One question I have for you is: When did you start riding horses?
    Kyra

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Charlotte,

    Your post was very inspirational, and it is clear that you are very passionate about this topic. I agree that if girls used the same equipment and had the same rules in sports as boys, we would be much more fit. There would also probably be less gender inequality related to sports. If only men who were in the army could compete in this sport, how did Lana DuPont Wright compete?

    From,
    Riley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Charlotte,
    Your blog post was very interesting and inspirational as well. I could really see that your very passionate about this topic. My question is why did you start riding? Nice Work!
    - Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your comments! Here are the answers for as many as I can answer (grammar?)
    - I started riding when I was 2, but stopped around second grade, then started up again in 4th.
    - Lana DuPont Wright just decided she was good enough to qualify, and, when she did, she was better than many of the men. There were plenty of women equestrians of her caliber, but none of them tried out for the Olympic team.
    - I like the horses that do what I say. That came out wrong.
    - If I could change one thing about horseback riding today... Hunter Hayes would not preform at the Rolex Three-Day Eventing competition this year. Hunter Hayes? Really?
    - The ideal jockey is small, the ideal jumper is tall and lean. It depends.
    - The first equestrian sports competition was either in the ancient Olympics or a Mongolian race, although it's hard to know exactly when or where.
    - Horseback riding is in the Olympics today, but none of the original sports are.
    That's pretty much all. Thank you for your feedback!
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  15. Coco,

    I completely agree that gender equality in sports has been a problem for a long time, so I would like to compliment how well you expressed your view through your post. How long have you been riding a horse, and why isn't horseback riding still an olympic sport?

    Great work,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Coco,

    When I first just saw the title, a little tear formed in my eye. How could they bee this cruel to women! There just like men, and they deserved to be treated exactly the same! I love how you addressed this problem and sadly Sadly we still face it today!
    Why isn't horseback riding a sport?
    Nice article!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete