Even though I have been playing music for most of my life, I have been blind to the extremely strong connections between the music I played and music from the Baroque time period. While I was playing piano, I played mostly Bach and Beethoven. Now that I'm playing trumpet baroque is not as easily noticed in jazz, yet it is nearly always there if you look hard enough.
Talking book album- Stevie Wonder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
Stevie Wonder album
In this whole album would you ever think there would be a style of music from the 1700 based in it? Even though these songs sound modern, jazzy, and new they are all mostly based off of baroque music chords, sounds, and meter.
Hey Michael,
ReplyDeleteI like how you made the connections with playing trumpet and piano in your life, into baroque music.
From Andrew P
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Michael,
ReplyDeleteYou seem to really enjoy making music and that shows through nicely in your writing. My question is: When you switch from one instrument to the other do you continue to play the previous instrument?
Nice job,
William
Micheal,
ReplyDeleteI think that its interesting how you compare the works of Bach and Beethoven to an artist like Stevie Wonder. I never had considered that music from the 1600's and 1700's would be as similar as the new jazzy music being churned out of several artists. This post really got me thinking about what baroque composers have done to music today. My question is: What do you think that classical music did, which are the most major influences in todays music outside of the jazz genre?
Hi Michael,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post!
It was a very good at making connections from Classical to baroque music.
Why do you think that you like jazz more than classical music?
Great job!
-Tulip
Hey Michael,
ReplyDeleteI really like your post because you explained your musical interests and how there are many different routes you can take. Such as, different instruments and styles. I like how you made the connection of how some of the well known artists we know, really are Baroque.
Sincerely,
Adam
Hey Michael,
ReplyDeleteI really like your post because you explained your musical interests and how there are many different routes you can take. Such as, different instruments and styles. I like how you made the connection of how some of the well known artists we know, really are Baroque.
Sincerely,
Adam
Hi Michael,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you related music today to Baroque music. My question is, what instruments are the same or what are some of the same instruments that were used in Baroque as today?
Nice job,
Sophie
Hi Michael!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post because you made connections from your musical life to ancient Baroque music. Do you think that Baroque music was a substantial contribution to the music world? How do you think our world would be different without it?
- Mikayla
Michael,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading about Baroque music and how it ties into your musical life even if it is hard to hear. I also liked how you talked about what instruments and music you enjoy playing the most. How do you think baroque music has brought to music and what would life be like wit out baroque music today?
Really great post!
-Thea
Michael
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading about how baroque music effects the music you play today. Was it hard transitioning from piano to jazz piano ? What are the differences between jazz piano and classical piano ?
Great post !
Eric
Michael,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading this blog post. Baroque music clearly effects the modern day music today, like you said, and an important part of our history. My one question would be how is baroque in jazz music different to the music you played on the piano? Great job!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Michael,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post because I play the saxophone and love to play jazz however my teacher is pushing me to play classical as well. I liked how you also talked about two different styles of instruments and different styles of playing. Do you think you will stick to the trumpet?
~Sanne
Hi Michael,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading you post because I used to play the piano and I really connect to music. I liked how you talked about the different styles of instruments and playing.
Great post,
Anushka:)
Dear Michael,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you talked about the connections you made with the music that you played to the music from the baroque time period. My question to you is do you think that you will learn to play another instrument in the future?
-Emma
Hi Michael,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post. I could really see the connections between the two types of music. Why do you think that jazz music caught your interest more than classical piano?
Great post!
-Kelly
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMichael,
ReplyDeleteI love your blog. I really like that you wrote about something you love and can relate to. I also like that you added pictures of different instruments.
Great Blog!
Essie
Dear Michael,
ReplyDeleteI like how you were able to connect the music that you play to the music played in the baroque era. I also like how you took a popular album and compared it to the music made in the Baroque time period. What made you want to switch from piano to trumpet?
From,
Riley
Hi, Michael
ReplyDeleteI thought your blog post was good and connected jazz and Baroque together well. My question is do you still play piano?
Michael,
ReplyDeleteI liked reading your blog post and liked how you were able to connect personally to the music you play and the music played back then. Are there any similar instruments from Baroque music and music these days? Nice Job
- Isabel
Hey Michael,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you gave information about modern music using baroque era type music. Why do you think it's not incorporated more into today's music.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMichael,
ReplyDeleteWow I can completely relate! As a musician I to have played in the baroque style. I love how concise this post it is, yet still shows so much interest and passion! Great work!
Do you prefer Jazz or Baroque style music?
-Lion
Michael,
ReplyDeleteThe connections you made with the music you play and the music from the baroque time period are impeccable! Do you think that you will learn to play another instrument in the future?
Best,
-Flexi