Mayonnaise
"I have a fear of mayo, so I've actually gotten pretty good at it over the years."
"You have a fear of mayo?"
She nods again."It's in my top three or four."
"What are the others?" he asks with a grin. "I mean what could possibly be worse than mayonnaise.” Jennifer E. Smith
I absolutely love mayonnaise. Most people hate it but I don't see what's so bad about it. You can put it on bread to make the sandwich more delicious. Plus it's not only good to eat, you can also use to it relieve sunburn. You can also condition your hair with it. So where did this smooth, creamy, yellow-tinted condiment come from?
| mortar/pestle they used |
A french chef, Marie-Antoine Careme, founder of haute cuisine, called mayonnaise “magnonnaise”. She claimed it meant "to stir” in french. It's from the old french word meaning "egg yolk". In the 1800s there were questions about if the name was actually Bayonnaise. The sauce back then was just made with garlic, oil, and salt mixed together in a pestle. Mayonnaise now adds a little more eggs and vinegar.
We know where the name mayonnaise came from but who invented it? It was invented in 1756 by the chef of Duc de Richelieu. The Duc beat the British at Port Mahon. After he created a victory dinner which included a sauce made with cream and eggs.
Where is mayonnaise now? In 1905 the first mayonnaise was sold at Richard Hellman's NY deli. Did you know that the US squanders 2 million dollars worth of mayonnaise each year? It’s one of America’s favorite condiments.
Sources:
Sources:
Dear parisvolleyball101
ReplyDeleteI love how you describe the uses of Mayo in your first paragraph, I never knew you could use it to treat sunburns ! Also, why is modern day Mayo made with eggs if when it was first invented it was only made of garlic, oil, and salt ????
Sincerely, Eric
"I mean, what could possibly be worse than mayonnaise?" To be honest, I don't like mayonnaise, although I guess it's pretty useful (especially when you run out of conditioner and/or sunscreen.) I'm just wondering if the original mayonnaise were made with eggs, since they weren't listed as an ingredient. Also, if it didn't have eggs in it, then why is "mayonnaise" from the word "egg yolk?"
ReplyDeleteThanks,
Charlotte
"I mean, what could possibly be worse than mayonnaise?" To be honest, I don't like mayonnaise, although I guess it's pretty useful (especially when you run out of conditioner and/or sunscreen.) I'm just wondering if the original mayonnaise were made with eggs, since they weren't listed as an ingredient. Also, if it didn't have eggs in it, then why is "mayonnaise" from the word "egg yolk?"
ReplyDeleteThanks,
Charlotte
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI like how you included all the different uses for mayo, because it shows how mayonnaise can be beneficial even if you don't like to eat it. One question I have is who is Jennifer E. Lee, the person you quoted?
-Margot
Hi Margot,
DeleteJennifer E. Lee is an American journalist. She writes a lot of quotes. Thanks for reading my blog post. It was very cool to learn different things to do with Mayo. I really want to try it now!
From,
Imara
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI like how you talked about the different uses for mayonnaise other then just eating it. My question is does mayonnaise stick in your hair when you use it as conditioner?
From, Braden
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you went into detail on how exactly mayonnaise was made and used. My question is when did the Duc beat the British, and why were they fighting them?
Imara,
ReplyDeleteI personally don't care to put mayonnaise on my sandwiches, but after reading your'e blog post it kind of made me want to give it a try and see what's so good about it!
Why did the name of mayonnaise get changed so much?
Thanks!
-Ayla
Dear Imara,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your article for several reasons. First, you started your article out with a nice lighthearted conversation about mayonnaise, Next you gave a brief summery of some fun facts about this condiment, finally you gave a history of mayonnaise. My question for you is, are there any ways to flavor mayonnaise a flavor that it would not ordinarily taste like?
Sincerely,
William
Imara,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post first of all the beginning really drew me in because it was a conversation people had about mayonnaise. That's also cool that you enjoy eating mayonnaise, so is that why you decided to write about it? I had never heard the history of it before and I really liked hearing about that.
Great job!
-Thea
Imara,
ReplyDeleteI thought it was so cool how you wrote about mayonnaise because it is such a different topic. I liked how you included what mayonnaise can be used for; I never knew that! What made you choose to write about mayonnaise? Did you know in holland people eat mayo with fries instead of ketchup?
Keep up the good blogging,
Sanne
Imara,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading about mayo. It's so cool to learn about where this unique food came from! I don't normally like to eat mayo, but on hearing the ingredients I might give it a try. My one question would be have you ever used mayo to condition your hair? Great work!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Imara,
ReplyDeleteReally interesting and cool topic. I liked how you not only talked about this history of mayo but you also shared your opinion!
What is in mayo that relives sunburn?
-Selina:)
Hi Imara!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog post because you talked about something that most people don't know very much about, mayonnaise. Have you ever used it to condition your hair or relive sunburn?
- Mikayla
dear Imara,
ReplyDeleteI really loved your blog post it made me laugh and you really went into detail with explaining Mayo and my question is how do you think Mayo will change over the next years?
Sincerely Emma L.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Imara,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post. I loved how you somehow incorporated humor, information and history all into one post. One question I have is: how has mayo evolved since 1756, when it was invented? Great job!
Kyra
Dear Imara,
ReplyDeleteI like how you talked about the history of mayo and some facts about it, but you also included a personal connection. I also thought it was cool how you mentioned the different uses for mayo. What does mayo have in it that conditions your hair and relieves sunburns?
From,
Riley
Dear Imara,
ReplyDeleteI really liked all of the interesting pictures that you included in your post. My question to you is where was mayo invented.
-Emma
Hi, Imara
ReplyDeletei liked how you had a conversation to start off your blog post. My question is what is Mayo now made out of? has it changed?
Hi Imara,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about the history of mayo, but also included a personal connection/opinion. The uses of mayo really surprised me. Would you use mayo to treat your sunburns or condition you hair? Nice Job!
- Isabel
Imara,
ReplyDeleteYour post was funny, relatable, and informative: a perfect blend! I loved the detail you went into and how much depth you got out of such a seemingly simple topic. Do you think you would ever consider actually using mayo to help your hair?
Great work!
Anushka:)
Hey Imara,
ReplyDeleteI liked reading your blog post. The title really drew me in. During the Super Bowl, how much mayo is bought?
Parisvolleyball 101,
ReplyDeleteIt's so interesting people actually use the revolting substance as conditioner or sunscreen! I can totally relate to when you say "I mean, what could possibly be worse than mayonnaise?" In my opinion, mayonnaise is the optimum of disgusting, although I guess it's pretty useful if you enjoy it.Do you like mayo?
Best,
-Flexi