Monday, February 22, 2016

The thermometer: by James Corrick


The Thermometer


In 1724, Gabriel Fahrenheit invented the thermometer. A thermometer is a device that measures the temperature. The thermometer contains mercury inside of a glass tube. The mercury reacts to the temperature and rises or lowers and tell the temperature. People most commonly use Fahrenheit, but a lot of other countries outside of america use Celsius.
                





The thermometer effects me because it helps we know what weather to prepare for, and what clothes to where. If there was no thermometer, I might where shorts on a snow day, or pants on a hot day, which in most cases is uncomfortable.

sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermometer#Types_of_thermometer

40 comments:

  1. Dear James,
    I like your article because it gets straight to the point, it also contains a lot of useful information that it imparts to the reader without any confusion. My question is this, what countries outside of the US use fahrenheit?
    Sincerely,
    William

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi William,

      No countries outside of the US use fahrenheit.

      James

      Delete
  2. Dear James,
    I like your article because it gets straight to the point, it also contains a lot of useful information that it imparts to the reader without any confusion. My question is this, what countries outside of the US use fahrenheit?
    Sincerely,
    William

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello James,
    I really liked how you took a simple piece of life that I usually take for granted and turned it into a blog post. I also liked how you got to the point really fast. Maybe next time you could add a little more cushion so the blog post is a bit more interesting but other then that It was a really good blog post. I was just wondering, where you came up with the idea to write about the thermometer?
    Thank you for taking your time to read this,
    Kellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kellen,
      I appreciate the time that you put into this comment. It is hard to take something as boring as a thermometer and making it interesting but I will try

      James

      Delete
  4. Hi, James
    I really liked how you took something that effected the world but isn't usually noticed.
    Maybe next time you could add something about what has changed today. Are there other methods that you can predict the weather with

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey James,
    So nice to learn about a utility that we all use, but might not know that much about!, Is there a particular reason that you chose the thermometer?
    Thanks,
    Bowen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bowen,

      I chose the thermometer because nobody really knows anything about it!

      James

      Delete
  6. Hi James,
    I really liked your post, it was super informative.
    Doesn't every other country besides The United States Of America use Celsius.
    Great job!
    -Tulip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tulip,

      When I said that most countries use celsius I meant all of them!

      James

      Delete
  7. Hi James,
    I think this is a really cool post. I think it was nice that you wrote about how it works and it was funny when you talked about how you might wear shorts on snow days and pants on hot days. My question to you is why is the mercury in thermometers red but in the picture it is a silver color?
    Thanks, Braden

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi James!
    You did a really nice job on your post!
    I thought it was very informative and it showed that you had done some research on it. I liked how you explained how the thermometer worked and that you talked about mercury. One suggestion I have for you is that you could expand more about how the mercury reacts with the temperature because as I was reading your blog post I was wondering if there was a chemical reaction or if it was some other for of science.
    Nice job!
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  9. James,
    I really liked reading your post!
    It was very informative and I thought it was great that you talked about how it works. I also liked how you said the ways it effects you.
    Do you use the thermometer a lot?
    Great job!
    -Thea

    ReplyDelete
  10. James,
    Your post made me think about what Gabriel Fahrenheit did for the modern world and how it affects everyone. Question: Where would modern people be without the thermometer?

    Good Post!
    Rylan

    ReplyDelete
  11. James,
    Your post really got me thinking! I love knowing what to wear so I'm not uncomfortable all the time. One question though: how did he come up with the idea?

    Keep on blogging!
    Noah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi James,
    I think your blog post was really good. I have a question about how much you use a thermometer. Also, do you think that a lot of people use thermometers or just their phones.
    Nice job,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  13. James
    I totally agree! The thermometer is so important this day in age. What happens during the reaction of Mercury and the temperature (Which we wouldn't have if Fahrenheit hadn't invented the thermometer.)?
    Milo

    ReplyDelete
  14. James
    It's amazing how you took an ordinary object that we take for granted and turned it into a blog post. Why do you think the US uses Fahrenheit instead of Celsius ?
    great post !
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  15. James,
    Nice job with this blog post! The thermometer really brings out the comparisons from how we use it now to when it was invented and how much it's affected you. A question I have is how would you tell the temperature now if we didn't have the thermometer? Would you just guess the temperature? Great post!
    -Rachel Y.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi James!
    I really liked how you were able to put into perspective something that most of us take for granted. What did people do to determine (or guess) the temperature before the thermometer was invented?
    - Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello James,
    Great job with this blog post. I liked how you showed the differences between what places use Celsius and Fahrenheit. My question is how did people get the temperature before the thermometer was created?

    From,
    Imara

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello James,
    Great job with this blog post. I liked how you showed the differences between what places use Celsius and Fahrenheit. My question is how did people get the temperature before the thermometer was created?

    From,
    Imara

    ReplyDelete
  19. James,
    I liked your blog post and how you described how it worked. I never actually knew how it worked before. I also liked how you included examples. Why do we use fahrenheit instead celsius?
    ~Sanne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear James,
    I really enjoyed your post and the detail you put into it. I think it is so cool that we use Fahrenheit and that was Gabriels last name. Where was this invented?

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, James!
    I really liked how you showed how it effects you in everyday life and how it is made

    I did not know how thermometers worked!
    Great post!
    Thanks!
    -Alec

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, James!
    I really liked how you showed how it effects you in everyday life and how it is made

    I did not know how thermometers worked!
    Great post!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi James,
    I really enjoyed reading your post because of the pictures and detailed facts. I never knew that there was mercury inside of thermometers. My question is that is Mercury a gas, liquid, or solid? Keep up the great blogging!

    From,
    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  25. James,
    It was really interesting to see your detail and visuals, and I though your post was really well thought out. It was really interesting to learn how thermometers work.
    Great post!
    Anushka:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. James,
    I thought it was interesting that you wrote about the thermometer. I never really think about it but its really important. How do you think things would be different today if there wasn't a thermometer?
    Nice Job!
    Essie

    ReplyDelete
  27. James,
    I thought it was interesting that you wrote about the thermometer. I never really think about it but its really important. How do you think things would be different today if there wasn't a thermometer?
    Nice Job!
    Essie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear James,
    I really liked how you added some nice pictures to your post. My question to you is where was the thermometer invented?
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  29. James,
    I liked how you included how the thermometer affects your every day life. One question I have is, how did Gabriel invent the thermometer?
    -Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear James,

    I like how you were able to add a personal connection. I also like how you kept your piece concise and got strait to the point. It's cool how you wrote about such an important object that so many people overlook. Why does America use Fahrenheit when the rest of the world uses Celsius?

    from,
    Riley

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi James,
    I really liked you blog post. I think the thermometer is under-appreciated. How has the thermometer evolved over the years?
    Thanks,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  32. James,
    I liked how you added a personal connection and how you wrote about something overlooked so often. Do you prefer Fahrenheit or Celsius? Nice Job
    - Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  33. Dear James,
    I liked how you explained the importance of the thermometer to your life. How often do you use an invention like the thermometer in your daily life?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fascinating!
    I had no idea what mercury is until reading this post! I loved the way you showed how the thermometer and mercury work. My one question would be, do you not know when it is snowing outside?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dear James,
    I enjoyed your blog post because it was short and sweet. You gave us good information in such a short time period and I am amazed by that. My one question is, Who inspired Gabriel Fahrenheit to create the thermometer?

    Thank you for your time,
    Andrew Jacob Nemecek

    ReplyDelete
  36. crockinmyrari,

    It's amazing to learn about a utility that we all use, but might take for granted or leave unrecognized! The thermometer is like the Schwa's paperclips! Is there a particular reason that you chose to write about the thermometer?

    Best,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete