Who invented the telescope? Why is the telescope important to life as we know it? It is still unknown who invented the telescope, but the first person to apply for a patent for it was a Dutch eyeglass maker named Hans Lippershey (or Lipperhey), so he got the credit for it. One story goes that he got the idea of the telescope after watching two kids in his shop hold up two lenses that made a weather vane that was far away seem like it was closer. Others suspected, at the time, that he stole the design from another eyeglass maker named Zacharias Jansen.
Galileo had heard of the telescope and made one of his own with some improvements. He was the first person who decide to point it up at the sky to see what he could observe. It is thanks to these people that we have the technology we do today. Back then, before the telescope, we didn’t have solar panels, implantable heart monitors, water purification systems, and many more. It is simply the science of space that has improved our knowledge. 
It is thanks to these people that we have the technology we do today. Back then, before the telescope, we didn’t have solar panels, implantable heart monitors, water purification systems, and many more.
As technology evolved, scientists were able to see other stars. In the 19th century astronomers gathered information about the chemical composition and motions of celestial objects using a new instrument called a spectroscope. In the 1970’s people began to build what would later be known as the hubble telescope. On April 25th, 1990, the Telescope was launched into an orbit roughly 380 miles above the earth's surface.
Today we can use technology like this to observe other planets and moons, and other celestial objects. For me I don’t think life would be the same without the telescope. I would still think that there are only a few other planets. I would never be able to ask big questions, like what isn beyond the observable universe, how far can we travel, and most of all, is there other life somewhere out there? Without the invention of the telescope people like me would have never wondered about these questions because they thought they knew what was out there, but really they had no idea.
Sources Cited:
Dunbar, Brian. "Telescope History." NASA. NASA, 23 Dec. 2003. Web. 27 Jan. 2016.
Cox, Lauren. "Who Invented the Telescope? | The First Telescope." Space.com. N.p., July-Aug. 2013. Web. 27 Jan. 2016.
This is an interesting post and I like the story you brought to the telescope. Question: How would scientists research space without the telescope?
ReplyDeleteRylan
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI really liked this piece of writing!
Right now I am writing my children's story of Hans Lippershey.That story about the kids is super interesting! Thanks!
Great post!
-Tulip
Hi Zoe,
ReplyDeleteThis is a really interesting piece of writing. I'm doing my children's story (like tulip) on the scientific revolution, so it was really interesting to learn about other inventions. I think you are definitely right about the fact that we couldn't do much without the telescope. Who do you think actually discovered it?
Thanks,
Julia
Hi,
ReplyDeleteThis is a good blog post! I liked how you had lots of information yet it was fun to read. I am dutch and thought it was cool to hear a little bit about the dutch's participation to the telescope for me. I also liked the story of the kids that you included! What do you think our world would be like today if the telescope hadn't been invented?
-Sanne
Dear Zoe,
ReplyDeleteWhat a interesting article! It gives a clear idea of how the telescope originated and how scientists have used it to study the universe. My one question for you is, when and were was the first pair of glasses created?
Sincerely,
William
Dear Zoe,
ReplyDeleteI liked this post a lot, and it was a very good read! I didn't know that much about the telescope, but your post clearly states all the facts that need to be known about the telescope. I can relate to this post a lot also, because I agree when you say how we wouldn't know anything about space without it. My one question would be have you ever used a telescope yourself? Great work!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Hi Zoe!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post. It was very descriptive, and I learned a lot about the telescope. Have you ever used a telescope? What do you think modern day technology would be like if the telescope hadn't been invented?
- Mikayla
Dear Zoe,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post and I learned a lot about the telescope. There was a lot of good information. You give the examples of solar panels, implantable heart monitors, and water purification systems. Are these things made possible because of the telescope?
From,
Riley
Hi Zoe-
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your blog post! I learned a lot about the telescope. How would it affect you if the telescope hadn't been invented? Well done!
- Isabel
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey Zoe,
ReplyDeleteReading your blog definitely showed that a single of invention of something like the telescope was the result many people's efforts, not just a single person's. How do you think our everyday lives shift if the telescope was never invented?
Great Work!
-Kelly
Hi Zoe,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post. I learned a lot of information about the telescope that I didn't know before. It was a very important part of history. What about modern culture do you think would change if the telescope hadn't been invented?
Great post,
Anushka
Dear Zoe,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how even though you had a lot of information, your post was still fun to read, I also liked how you talked about how the telescope has impacted your life.
-Emma
Zoe,
ReplyDeleteWow, what an incisive blog post! It definitely showed that a single invention of something like the telescope was the result many people's efforts, not just a single person's. How do you think our everyday lives shift if the telescope was never invented?
Best,
-Flexi