The Small Difference of a Daily Routine Can Make a Big Difference
By Julia Druker
“The secret of your future is hidden in your daily routine,” Mike Murdock. No matter what we do in the morning, we always try to have some sort of pattern. It can get chaotic if we don’t stick to a routine. Everyone’s daily routines are different. Try as we might, we can’t completely copy someone else’s routine. Everyone’s routines are different, and they don’t define us, but they are a big part of us.
It’s the time of the American Revolutionary war. Imagine a ten year old boy, named Jim, living in Alabama. Jim’s family is living on a wealthy family’s land. His parents work everyday for food. Jim wakes up at 4 am from sleeping in the barn. He rubs his eyes to see his to-do list. Thirty things on his list, and only eighteen hours to do it. He gets up, because he knows he has to get moving. He grabs the food he can find. It’s a race to finish his work in time, everyday. A never ending community service project. He wishes he could join the army to at least be a message carrier, but he knows he can’t. Even though he dreams about leaving, he wants to be obedient and loyal. After he has finished his work, it is very late. Off to the barn he goes to sleep, and dread the next day to come.
Now, go into the present time. I wake up to my mom bringing in my cat. I hold him till I feel ready to get up. I tell my mom what I’m feeling like for breakfast, and start getting ready. After figuring out my outfit, I go downstairs to find a hot breakfast waiting for me. Eating my delicious breakfast gives me strength for the day. Hopefully by then, my brother is out of the shower. If he is not, I yell at him. If he is, I go in and brush my teeth. I fix up my hair, and get my phone. If I have time, I’ll do a quick check of my notifications. Otherwise, I just get my socks, jacket, and shoes on. It depends if my mom or dad is taking me if I leave now. If my mom is taking me, we have a good ten more minutes left. If my dad is taking me, chances are, he’s probably already in the car. Even though, I have school starting soon, I try to rest on the car ride. I put in my headphones and tune out the sound of cars at rush hour.
Once at school, I talk to my friends. I dread the moment that Chris Bell puts on her headphones and walks to the enormous bell. After five classes, my school day is done. I either go to one of my activities or go home. Eventually I come home, and start my homework. Usually, it doesn’t take me very long, so I’m done before dinner. After dinner, I just relax and enjoy the fact that my day is done. I watch tv and go to bed.
As you can probably tell, our lives are very different today. We still deal with controversies. With the internet, we can see what is going on in the world, by a push of a button. Children, in our world, are in general more lazy than children in the Revolutionary War. Boys joined the army as soldiers at 16 and boys at the age of 7, could be message carriers or drummers. Even though we have a better education system now, children worked harder. What would you rather do? Spend a day in different classrooms and getting breaks or eighteen hours of work in the hot sun?
Sources:
"American Revolution." For Kids: Daily Life During the Revolutionary War. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Feb. 2016.
Photos:
"A Point of View: Why Gardening Is Really about Digging Your Own Grave - BBC News." BBC News. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Feb. 2016.
"Alarm Clock." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 01 Feb. 2016.
Hi Julia!
ReplyDeleteYou did a really awesome job on your blog!
I really liked how you used a quote that related to your topic as the hook, that you ended with a question for the reader, and that you tied in a little story you made up! The image of your story was really clear in my mind and when you talked about your daily routine it gave me something to relate to. One suggestion I have for you is that you could maybe explain a little more about what the differences are between those two lives, give a few specific details and then expand on them. But over all, you did a really thorough job on your post and I can tell you put a lot of time into it.
-Hannah
this blog really creates a clear description of how living in different eras can create such different lives, especially morning routines. I was also just wondering about how other people lived in the time that Jim lived, was Jim's way of life the only way of life, or was there another kind of living?
ReplyDeleteNice job,
Zoe
Hi Julia,
ReplyDeleteI think it was really interesting to see how the time period and the location globally of people changes the way we function. I could really imagine a lot of the things you described. I love the way you end the post with a question.
Great Post!
-Sophia S
Hi Julia,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you talked about Jim's hard working routine then your own routine which sounded a like it was a lot easier.
Were all morning routines like Jim's? Or did it depend on what area you live in?
Good writing,
-Ayla
Hey Julia,
ReplyDeleteIt is very interesting to see how someone in the past maybe a hundred to two hundred years had such a different day than we do. I know in the state I'm in, I wouldn't last a day like that. We take our lives for granite and don't have to undergo the hardship of that kind of labor. My question is do you prefer to live the way you do now or in the past?
Dear Julia,
ReplyDeleteI liked your blog post on how you talked about your routine and a boy during the revolutionary war. It really made me think what is my routine? I liked how you laid out your writing and talked about your whole day. I was wondering if you would you change anything about your routine if you could?
-Sanne
Dear Julia,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your article, it showed a lot of creativity in coming up with a imaginary daily routine for a fictional person is no mean task. Also your articles ability to show both the differences and (surprisingly) the similarities between the life of a seventh grader at Catlin and a farm worker during the revolutionary war. My one question is, how long was school during the revolutionary war? That is for those who could afford it.
Sincerely,
William
Dear Julia,
ReplyDeleteI really loved reading about the comparisons between the two daily routines. In a way, the differences are extreme, and their are few similarities for these two daily routines. I can relate to your daily routine a lot, especially the hot breakfast and shower, but I can barely or even at all relate to the boy's daily routine because it's so much different. My one question would be did the boy go to school like you at all? Great work!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Hi Julia!
ReplyDeleteYou did a really good job on your post! I liked how you compared your life and Jim's very accurately. Were children able to go to school during the revolutionary war?
- Mikayla
Julia,
ReplyDeleteNice job on your blog post! I liked how you wrote compared Jim's daily routine to your daily routine. During the revolutionary war, were people's daily routines more similar than our daily routines?
Kyra
Dear Julia,
ReplyDeleteIt was a really good idea to compare your daily routine to what might have been someones daily routine from the American revolution. This was really entertaining to read and extremely well written. Where many kids able to go to school at this time, or where they forced to work all day like Jim?
From,
Riley
Hey Julia!
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog post, and the way you described the difference between now and back then. How is your daily routine different from theirs? Nice Job!
- Isabel
Hi Julia,
ReplyDeleteI thought you did a really nice job on your blog and your description of daily routines now and then was really interesting to read. It was well written and fun to read.
Great post!
Anushka:)
Dear Julia,
ReplyDeleteI really liked all the descriptive words that you used. I also really liked how you compared your daily routine to jim's!
-Emma
Julia,
ReplyDeleteWhat a creative idea! Comparing your daily routine to what might have been someones daily routine from the American revolution, BRILLIANT! Not to mention really entertaining to read and extremely well written! Where many kids able to go to school at this time, or where they forced to work all day like Jim?
Best,
-Flexi