Friday, February 26, 2016

The Sad but True Happy Ending


WWI was the reason for the Soviet Revolution. Many Russians lost their lives to the war. The revolution took place because the Russians wanted to overthrow the government who supported the war. There was a lot of poverty in Russia, the government was inefficient, and the war was already going on for three years; the people started to wonder why they were fighting in the war.


As I write this today I am inspired by the bravery of people who were sent to forced labor camps. What does this have to do with me? I was born in 2003, and the Russian Revolution ended in 1918. I am planning to answer that question with this paper.


Many small actions determine who I will be or if I will be. For example, if my great grandpa made a different decision and did not put a hat on a statue I would not be here today, I would have not existed. Everything you do affects the world in some way. That is the same as the Soviet Revolution. Such a huge event it can not be described in a one page essay. Though I will do my best with my family.




The effects on Russia after the revolution were very notable. Russia stretched out and became “the Soviet Union”. The focus on education in the Soviet Union led to a bigger population. The Soviet Union withdrew from WWI, because they saw no reason to keep fighting and dying. The Soviet Union became a socialist state.


Let’s get to my family. My great grandma (Basya) lived in Poland, part of the Russian empire in the early 1900s. Peasants, farmers, and middle class demanded change, they were sick of the poverty, people dying in the war, and the government. The answer was the Soviet Revolution in 1917. The Russian Empire broke in 1917 and Poland becomes a independent country. Russia was advertised as being a safe place for Jews and other religions and a place where everyone worked together. Basya wanted to be a Jewish actress, so she moved to the Soviet Union and applied to an acting school. In 1937 she was put into a forced labor camp, because she was accused of being against the revolution. She was sentenced to 10 years in the forced labor camp. There she met her future husband, Ivan. He was a jokester and put a hat on a statue of Stalin, but the Soviets thought is was a offensive so they put him into a forced labor camp for 5 years. He was given an additional 5 years, because while Ivan and others in the camp worked on a dam, Ivan knew it would not work, and told the officials. After the dam did not work the officials gave Ivan another 5 years in the forced labor camp. After Ivan and Basya got out, they married and had my grandma from my dad’ side.

.


So really I am directly affected by the Soviet Revolution. Without it I would never be in this world. Millions of lives were affected. If you want to know more about the Soviet Revolution be sure to research it. There's a lot material on the internet so try to sift through it.


By Sean Uan-Zo-li


30 comments:

  1. Dear Sean,
    I really liked the personal side of this article. To read a 3rd hand account of the Russian revolution is very interesting. I have one question for you, I have heard the two terms socialist state and communist state, is it possible for a state to be both?
    Regards,
    William

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sean,
    I really liked the personal side of this article. To read a 3rd hand account of the Russian revolution is very interesting. I have one question for you, I have heard the two terms socialist state and communist state, is it possible for a state to be both?
    Regards,
    William

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear William
    Thanks for the question. Here is what I hope will answer your question. According to Karl Marx, socialism is the first stage of communism. In other words every communist state is a socialist state.
    -Sean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sean,
    It was very interesting reading your blog post and how connected you are to the Soviet Revolution. My question is, was your mom's side of the family tied in to the Soviet Revolution at all?
    Great post,
    Kellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kellen,
      My mom's side of the family did not live in Russia. They lived in Belarus. In fact Belarus was barely considered a country. So they were not affected by Soviet Revolution.

      Delete
  5. Sean,
    I think that you convey your heritage and your inspirational figures very well in this post. I like how you talk about what your family did in the revolution and that is a great read and interesting post

    Great post!
    Rylan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Question: How do you think that socialism and communism relate to wars or revolutions in socialist or communist states?

      Delete
    2. Dear Rylan,
      I got a similar question from William. According to Karl Marx, socialism is the first stage of communism. In other words every communist state is a socialist state. So really I don't believe there is a answer to your complex question.
      -Sean

      Delete
  6. Sean,

    I think your story is a very interesting one. How many other people were in the labor camps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mr.Awesome
      According to this website http://www.britannica.com/place/Gulag
      About 10 million people were sent to forced labor camps.
      -Sean

      Delete
  7. Dear Sean,
    I think this is very interesting. It is cool that your great grandparents met in a forced labor camp because your great grandpa put a hat on a statue. My question is why were the camps still up after the revolution had ended.
    Thanks, Braden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Braden,
      I don't believe I said anything about the camps still being up in my blog. But if I did please be sure to quote me. Sorry if it was there.
      -Sean

      Delete
  8. Hey Sean,
    I thought your post was very interesting because of how you said that you would not be here today if your grandpa didn't do sepcific things. I wonder if you could maybe go into more depth about some things like the camps and what those did to people.
    thanks,
    MIchael

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear sean,
    I really liked your blog post. I liked all of your connections to the events that you familie and
    other families made to affect others and how you explained the big picture.
    Thanks,
    Parker A.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear sean,
    I really liked your blog post. I liked all of your connections to the events that you familie and
    other families made to affect others and how you explained the big picture.
    Thanks,
    Parker A.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sean!
    I really liked how you made it partly about yourself while making it also about the war
    I really enjoyed this post!
    thanks!
    -Alec

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sean,
    I thought this post was very interesting from the start. All your details about the Soviet Revolution especially because I didn't know anything about this before I read the blog post. My one question would be how did the camps affect what you thought of this history? Great post!
    -Rachel Y.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sean
    I loved the personal side to this story, I had no idea that your great grandparents were alive during the Soviet Revolution ! What do you think that your great grandparents would say about the current state of Russia ?
    Great post !
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sean!
    I really enjoyed reading your post because you put a personal touch on a real story. What did people do in some of these forced labor camps?
    - Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sean,
    I loved reading your post and hearing the personal touch you put on this true story. What would happen if they were taken to labor camps?
    Great work!
    -Anushka

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sean,

    I loved reading YOUR description of the Soviet Revolution. I feel like you summed it up really well. One question though. What did they do in the forced labor camps?

    Keep on blogging!
    Noah

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Sean,
    I really enjoyed reading your post and was interested in hearing how this subject effected you. My questions is not that so about your post but if wondering if your family Talk together about this subject a lot?

    Good job,
    Cai

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Sean,
    I really liked how you switched from talking about the war, to talking about your family's life. My question to you is what did your great grandmother do for a living?
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Sean,

    It was really interesting to learn about WW1 and how it affected you. I thought it was super cool that you were able to include a story about your family into your post, but still have facts about the war. Did your great grandma, Basya, ever become an actress?

    From,
    Riley

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sean,
    I really liked reading your blog about WW1 and how that made an impact on you. The story about your family was really cool, as well as all of your facts. What did people do in these forced labor camps? Nice Job
    - Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sean,
    I really liked your post. It was interesting to hear how the war effected your family and the people of Russia. To be honest, I know a lot about WW2 but not a lot about WW1, so it was really interesting to learn more about it.
    Nice job!
    Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Sean,
    I really enjoyed how you explained how everything is really interconnected and how if one tiny little thing changed, you wouldn't be alive and how much the Soviet Union affected the lives of you family members. How much do you think the Soviet Union affected people across the world and not just near Russia?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sean,

    What an incredible, interesting story! Thank you so much for sharing it here! It is so interesting to see how deeply the Soviet Union affected you family! One question though, how many other people were in the labor camps?

    Best,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sean,

    I feel so sorry for you. I never knew that your family was effecting by WW1. Nice work!
    Did WWL impact any other people related to you other than your grandparents?

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete