During the state of nationalism in Europe the countries wanted a symbol, object or language that would truly represent their country. They wanted something that would hold the people together when they face horrific wars, like the war started between the government and the nationalist. The nationalist fought for the independence of their countries, they believed that each country should have its own government instead of having the entire country be ruled by one king.
The American revolution was the first revolution deflecting the European monarchy system. The American revolution was a hard fought battle, full of war and politics. The journey to finding America's independence was such a great battle that it lasted eighteen years. Once the hard fought journey had ended the new country created a seal in honor of their winning their battle. The seal was named The Great Seal because of the honor it holds. The seal represents America's freedom and their courage. The flag in the eagle's mouth says “one out of many” in Latin. The olive branch in the the eagle's left talon stands for peace. The thirteen arrows in his right talon stand for war. The number of arrows, thirteen, stand for the thirteen colonies, at the time. For more information on symbols during the American revolution visit this presentation: https://prezi.com/hp0f6bpft15b/iconic-symbols-of-the-american-revolution/
France took on nationalism. They were one of the first countries to fight, inspiring many other countries to follow in their wake. After the French won their war there was hope for the other countries. During the French nationalism period a symbol of a rooster was made, and is now very important and symbolic to the French culture. The rooster had been used before nationalism in art and furniture but it wasn't truly famous until it was used in the revolution. The French decided to use a rooster because of the play on the Latin words gallus meaning gaul and the French word gallus meaning rooster. If you would like to fing out more about the rooster, or the other French sybols you can visit this cite: http://www.consulfrance-jhb.org/Symbols-of-the-French-Republic
Catlin Gabel, the school I attend, has a original logo of three trees. The three trees stand for lots of things. In my opinion the three trees represent the unity of the people on our campus. You will always have somebody by your side, you just have to look. We dig our roots deep, so we will always stand by. We are tall trees that just keep growing taller and taller, with stronger roots. There is also a more literal meaning of our three tree symbol. We have lots of trees and nature around our campus. To find out more about Catlin Gabel visit: http://www.catlin.edu/page.cfm?p=498
Hi Katie I never really thought about symbols and this is really cool to read about because it has a lot of culture in it and you did three symbols and I didn't how important symbols were until now
ReplyDeleteSincerely Emma L
Hi Katie I never really thought about symbols and this is really cool to read about because it has a lot of culture in it and you did three symbols and I didn't how important symbols were until now
ReplyDeleteSincerely Emma L
Dear Katie,
ReplyDeleteYour article is very informative in that rather than just focus on one topic it tells the story of three symbols, each representing a revolution of a sort. I have one question for you. When you say that America's freedom fight lasted eighteen years are you including the War of 1812 and the French and Indian War?
Good Job,
William
Dear Katie,
ReplyDeleteYour article is very informative in that rather than just focus on one topic it tells the story of three symbols, each representing a revolution of a sort. I have one question for you. When you say that America's freedom fight lasted eighteen years are you including the War of 1812 and the French and Indian War?
Good Job,
William
Dear Katie,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog post, as William said, it was very informative.
I was wondering weather you could have ended it a little less abruptly.
-Tulip
Hi Katie,
ReplyDeleteI loved your blog post. I hadn't really thought about different symbols like that before. I was wondering if other cultures/revolutions/companies had symbols that were particularly meaningful. I was really impressed with this blog post:)
Awesome job,
Sophie
Hi Katie,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you were detailed with what the symbols stood for. My question is, when was the American symbol made?
Dear Katie,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post because it made me think more carefully about for example what the Catlin logo stands for. I've never even thought of it. I liked how you didn't solely focus on one topic but three. Do you think the person that came up with the first logo had this purpose set in there mind and to carry along a meaningful purpose?
Great job,
Adam
Thanks Katie,
ReplyDeleteI loved this blog post so much because of how you related things out in the world to things in your own personal life at Catlin Gabel. I wonder if you could go in to more depth about how these two are connected (Europe and Catlin.)
Thanks,
Michael
Thanks Katie,
ReplyDeleteI loved this blog post so much because of how you related things out in the world to things in your own personal life at Catlin Gabel. I wonder if you could go in to more depth about how these two are connected (Europe and Catlin.)
Thanks,
Michael
Katie,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you talked about the symbols because I had never thought about that before. Your post was very informative and I liked how you included what you thought about the Catlin Gabel symbol. I also like how you went into detail to describe the symbols because that helped me understand them better. Who made the flags and symbols and when were they made?
Great post!
-Thea
Dear Katie,
ReplyDeleteI love how you analyzed our school symbol in addition to some more well known ones. My question is, was there a vote to decide what was going to be on the Great Seal ?
Thanks
Eric
Katie,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your post! I learned so much about revolutions! I found it interesting that you wrote about your own school's logo. My question to you is: What happened to the first American logo? Was there one or was it mass produced?
Keep on blogging!
Noah
Katie,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog post! I liked how you showed what the symbols meant. I hadn't really thought about different symbols before. I liked how you included your opinion about the Catlin Gabel symbol. Who decided the symbols and how were they decided on?
Great job!
Mara
Katie,
ReplyDeleteI really like your topic in this blog post. All the different symbols are so cool and they each represent different things or places. The Catlin Gabel logo is trees, like you said, and has been one of my favorite symbols for a long time. What is your favorite thing about the Catlin Gabel symbol? Great work!
-Rachel Y.
Hi Katie!
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you talked about Catlin Gabel as one of your symbols. If you had a symbol for yourself, what would it look like?
- Mikayla
Katie,
ReplyDeleteI loved how you talked about lots of symbols but how you included Catlin Gabel. I really liked how you talked about the three trees; I have never thought of what they represented. What is your favorite symbol?
~Sanne
Katie,
ReplyDeleteI loved how you used Catlin Gabel throughout you post, and added a personal touch. I enjoyed when you talked about the tree, it's very meaningful.
Keep up the good work!
-Anushka:)
Dear Katie,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you put pictures of the symbols and described what each part meant. I also really liked how you included Catlin Gabel and what it's symbol means to you!
-Emma
Dear Katie,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you connected Catlin to your blog post. I liked hearing what you thought the Catlin Gabel logo meant. I also like how you added an image of each symbol. Why did you choose those particular symbols?
From,
Riley
Hey Katie!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post and I liked hearing your opinion of the Catlin Gabel logo. The pictures really added to your blog. Who made all of these flags and symbols? Well done
- Isabel
Katie,
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting blog post! I was wondering if other places held symbols that were particularly meaningful as well. The beautiful visuals added even more to the aesthetic!
Lovely post,
-Flexi