I am not alone when I say that I don’t want to grow up in a country where my gender can negatively impact my future.
“Like a girl”, what does that mean? Where did all the negativity in that short simile come from?
I have two brothers, both older than me. Of course, as a younger sibling, whenever their friends came over, I had to be a part of the game. As a five year old, I had no fear of failure as I threw the ball with all the power my arms could muster, at the basketball hoop. Silence; followed by the raw sound of a basketball hitting the ground; a clean miss. “Oh my gosh, she throws like a girl,” one of them says. I could feel the temperature of my face taking off, as the dam that was holding my tears back began to collapse. Before anyone could say anything else my short legs carried me up the driveway, where I slammed the door of the house and burst into tears. I don’t think I touched a basketball for about a year after that.
Later, I was sharing my thoughts with my brother about how nasty his friends were.
“He said that I threw like a GIRL!” I exclaimed, as if it was a total put down.
“Why is that bad?” he replied.
This response completely baffled me, and to this day I am thankful for that conversation. At the same time, it makes me so sad, that at such an early age, society had already molded my mind into thinking that being compared to a woman makes me less, instead of more.
If we limit people by things they can’t change, and if we silence their voices, all of those beautiful ideas and stories, that could have bettered the world, are lost. In 1792, Mary Wollstonecraft introduced her beliefs and ideas of feminism in her book, A Vindication of the Rights of Woman, to the public. The critics of the time silenced her voice, but they did not silence her ideas. She continued to share her beliefs and stand up for women’s rights.
When we stride towards the finish line, we run like girls. When we tirelessly criss-cross up and down the soccer field, we kick like girls. Whatever sets our souls on fire, we pursue: just like girls do.

I really weard that our generation says these kinds of things and that you where baffled by him saying that "Throwing like a girl" is not a bad thing
ReplyDeleteNice!
Hi Kelly!
ReplyDeleteYour post really made me think deeper about the expression "like a girl". Your brothers response to you was really interesting to me. Why should it matter if someone says that you do something like a girl? Doing something "like a girl" is not an insult, and some would even take it as a compliment. I really enjoyed reading your post. Keep up the good work!
- Mikayla
Table of contents: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZgdJOC-uZ04a8AhneO9xICWONfQWW-FQUJgXAIUDjBw/edit#
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI really like your post because it brings in an emotional part. You talk about "Like A Girl" but then bring in a personal story that really helps connect with the reader. And I agree when did "Like A Girl" become negative, and how can we just simply accept that in our social lives today without talking about what this does to girls growing up in this time of period. Overall, I really like your post because it has a personal touch to it that deeply strengthens it.
Sincerely,
Adam
Dear Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI really like your post because it brings in an emotional part. You talk about "Like A Girl" but then bring in a personal story that really helps connect with the reader. And I agree when did "Like A Girl" become negative, and how can we just simply accept that in our social lives today without talking about what this does to girls growing up in this time of period. Overall, I really like your post because it has a personal touch to it that deeply strengthens it.
Sincerely,
Adam
Dear Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI really like your post because it brings in an emotional part. You talk about "Like A Girl" but then bring in a personal story that really helps connect with the reader. And I agree when did "Like A Girl" become negative, and how can we just simply accept that in our social lives today without talking about what this does to girls growing up in this time of period. Overall, I really like your post because it has a personal touch to it that deeply strengthens it.
Sincerely,
Adam
Dear Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI really loved your post! It was very deep, and I can relate to how you felt when somebody said "Like a girl."
I think that like your brother said, Like a girl does not have to be bad, it can instead be a super good shot, or a super fast person. Not the opposite.
Also I think that in some cultures people just have that as a norm. People need to start changing these norms.
Really great post, Kelly!
-Tulip
Dear Kelly,
DeleteI really loved your post! It was very deep, and I can relate to how you felt when somebody said "Like a girl."
I think that like your brother said, Like a girl does not have to be bad, it can instead be a super good shot, or a super fast person. Not the opposite.
Also I think that in some cultures people just have that as a norm. People need to start changing these norms. And why do you think that these norms run so deep in our society?
Really great post, Kelly!
-Tulip
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteKelly,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post, I liked how you used a story from your life because it made me think more about the expression "like a girl" and your brothers response in your conversation with him. It really has a personal connection, great work!
Mara
Kelly,
ReplyDeleteWow! I kept wanting to read more about your opinion on women's rights. It's really interesting how you pointed out that even young girls have this fantasy about that being a girl is bad or wrong is some way. Who or how do you think these ideas/fantasies get into young girls heads, do you think it's media, parental, or peers that influence girls to think their inferior? I also loved your ending, it gave a good, strong message what you were trying to say.
-Linnea
Dear Kelly,
ReplyDeleteIncredible! What a well thought out and impactful piece. It really speaks to the self destructive and pointless gender bias in this country. It is also nice to hear the voice of a child in a article about something so encompassing and important. As your article was straight and to the point I have but one question, in your article you mentioned a women named Mary Wollstonecraft was she part of the suffrage movement?
Sincerely,
William
Hi Kelly,
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! After reading this, I almost don't have words. Apart of me wishes my writing was better and the other part of me is thinking you should be published professionally. A Countless number of times, I have heard the term like a girl. Your writing is so powerful it makes me have shivers. I love the photo of Ayla, Katie, & Linnea. It adds so much to your post. Do you want to personally change the way people think about girls?
Great Job,
Julia
Hi Julia,
DeleteThank you so much for reading my post! Yes, I do, because I feel like many people share a set stereotype for how girls are "supposed" to be, and stereotypes definitely keep people from expressing themselves.
-Kelly
Hi Kelly!
ReplyDeleteI LOVED your post!!
I really liked how you analyzed the stereotype and insult that is heard pretty frequently and brought it to our attention that it was a problem. I really enjoyed reading your post and I had read it before I knew we had to do blog comments because it caught my eye and was very interesting. I REALLY liked how you told a personal story from when you were little because it really gave me something to grasp and relate to. After reading your blog, I have no suggestions or question for you because I think your blog was OUTSTANDING!!!
-Hannah
Oh! I forgot to add that I really liked that you took the photo yourself because I could see the people I knew and know their personalities and seeing them in the picture was really cool.
ReplyDeleteKelly,
ReplyDeleteI really loved your post and I can totally relate to when people say "like a girl".
I think you did an amazing job talking about the stereotype and insult and I really like your perspective on this because it taught me more about what "like a girl" means. I also really like that picture because I know the people in it and you took it yourself. The story from when you were little was really creative and it shows that even when you are young things you hear, such as "like a girl", can have an influence. I also love how you ended it because girls are strong and can pursue what ever dreams we have. This post was truly fantastic!
Nice job!
-Thea
Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI really loved your post and I can totally relate to when people say "like a girl".
I think you did an amazing job talking about the stereotype and insult and I really like your perspective on this because it taught me more about what "like a girl" means. I also really like that picture because I know the people in it and you took it yourself. The story from when you were little was really creative and it shows that even when you are young things you hear, such as "like a girl", can have an influence. I also love how you ended it because girls are strong and can pursue what ever dreams we have. This post was truly fantastic!
Nice job!
-Thea
Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI felt that because you used a story that happened to you it made me think more about what "like a girl" means. Your post made me think about how many people use that expression to judge that way that girls do things. My question is do you think that in our society lots people will eventually use the term "like a girl" as a good thing? Or do you think that most people will keep using the term as weaker than other people? This blog post was really interesting and I enjoyed it. Great work!
-Emma
Kelly
ReplyDeleteThis was a really touching and inspiring post. "Like a girl" is not a insulting term, to be a girl isn't something to be ashamed of. Your post really makes me wonder if our largely masculine society needs to change it's ways. Have you ever been put down due to your gender ?
Amazing Post !
Eric
Kelly
ReplyDeleteThis was a really touching and inspiring post. "Like a girl" is not a insulting term, to be a girl isn't something to be ashamed of. Your post really makes me wonder if our largely masculine society needs to change it's ways. Have you ever been put down due to your gender ?
Amazing Post !
Eric
Kelly
ReplyDeleteThis was a really touching and inspiring post. "Like a girl" is not a insulting term, to be a girl isn't something to be ashamed of. Your post really makes me wonder if our largely masculine society needs to change it's ways. Have you ever been put down due to your gender ?
Amazing Post !
Eric
Kelly,
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, this was such an amazing post. I loved how you were writing about how to be a girl isn't an insult. How do you think that gender inequality has affected young girls around the US, and around the World?
Awesome job!
Sophie
Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI loved your post!!!!!!! It was so good!! I loved how you talked about that "Like a Girl" is a good thing! I loved your story! I have heard like a girl so many times in my life that this was so cool to read! Have you ever been told you did something "like a girl", what did you think?
Keep up the great blogging!!!!!
~Sanne
Kelly,
ReplyDeleteThis was an awesome post! The depth was so good and the details in this post really showed what you thought about "like a girl." My one question would be was there anything elsewhere that someone said you did something like a girl? If there was, what did you do about it? Great work!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Hello Kelly,
ReplyDeleteThis was a great post! I loved how you made me think about what it means to hear "like a girl." It was really nice how you included what you thought about it. My question is do you think this phrase will ever go away or will this happen for many years?
From,
Imara
Dear Kelly,
ReplyDeleteWhen I was reading my friend was over and it made her cry she was really touched by you phenomenal writing my question is Have you know anyone who has called another person "a girl" and if you have what did you do.
Sincerely Emma.
Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post and I thought I could really relate to it. I also have an older brother and I would always try to play with his friends when they came over as well. I think that it is important for young girls to have good role models in their lives to help them learn that doing things "Like a Girl" is never a bad thing. Great post!
Anushka:)
Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI really loved reading this post. It's really inspiring to girls that might have been looked down on because of their gender. It's disappointing that females are associated with stereotypes that are degrading to us. This post is very uplifting, and I could personally connect to your writing. Have negative stereotypes towards girls affected you recently? Amazing work!
-Margot
Dear Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI really liked the story and how your brother asked you why it was bad to throw like a girl. I really liked how you connect " like a girl" to your own life.
-Emma
Dear Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your blog post. You were able to make strong personal connections and your introduction really pulled me in and made me want to keep reading. And I am glad I did! your post was very inspirational and something many people can relate to. Why do you think that gender stereotypes are such a big issue?
From,
Riley
Dear Riley,
DeleteI'm glad you enjoyed reading my post!
I think that gender stereotypes are a big issue because it limits people's freedom for who they want to be, and what they are able to achieve.
-Kelly
Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI really like your blog, in particular the last line and the part of your story when you describe running into your house crying, and then having the talk with your brother. If you told him that his friends said you threw like a girl today do you think he would have the same respons?
Great Job,
Katie
Hi Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog. The fact that you were able to connect personally really well made it more enjoyable. Your blog post was very inspirational and I'm sure many can relate to it. Do you think that someday gender stereotypes will go away or do you think they'll forever stay? Well done!
- Isabel
Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI loved your post! It reminded me a lot of a commercial I watched (I forget what it was for) that asked young boys and girls to do things "like a girl" and they worked hard, and did their best, then they did the same thing for older boys and girls and they acted fake. I think this was a great post, and I totally can relate! I think that gender stereotypes are awful!
Great job!
Meagan
Hi Kelly!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful and inspiring post! I could really feel your message and think that this needs to be a better known subject. I have definitely faced awful gender stereotypes as a girl, and though boys have bad gender stereotypes as well, I think most of the girl's ones are aimed to be negative. I loved how personal that story was as well. I could connect a lot.
Very well done!
- Patina
Kelly,
ReplyDeleteThis was quite a sad post. These words you portrayed shows how awful these gender stereotypes are. Let's be honest, not all girls are weak!
Have you ever believed in any of these gender stereotypes surrounding women?
-Lion
Kelly,
ReplyDeleteWhat a well thought out, beautifully written, and impactful piece. It puts a big red stamp on gender bias in this country, and I love how you chose to write about something so encompassing and important. Do you think we will ever achieve true equality to our "male superiors?"
Fight for your beliefs,
-Flexi