One of the revolutions that I am most interested in is the American Revolution. Why? I was born and live in America, but I'm also British. My predicament: I'm British and American so who should I support? My family are British, but I was born in America so when you think about it I could be on both sides. Do I care what happened or who won?
Researching history gives me the answer. I am interested in the things that happened during the Revolution and after it was over. For example the Declaration of Independence or the Boston Tea Party (which I honestly think started all the fighting against England).
So let's think about the Boston Tea Party: one of the main events that started the fighting in the war. What happened? We don't know every detail. But we know that American colonists dressed as native Americans, boarded a British tea ship and dumped all the tea in the water as a rebellion against the tax laws that the British had made.
So were the Americans right to dump the tea into the harbor, or do you think that it was an awful thing to rebel against the British? Let's analyze why they did it. The tax laws were bad. They were unfair. Citizens were angry and it was hard to pay the taxes and many of them couldn't afford to live in their houses. And what made them even angrier was the money from their taxes wasn't used to help Americans. But there was an even bigger issue. They did not have freedom for themselves and their families. Freedom is the most important thing for any society. If I think about the Boston Tea Party in isolation it makes me think that it was tough for the British, but if you consider the way the Americans were denied their freedom, their actions were correct and understandable.
Why did I pick the Boston Tea Party personally? Well I chose this event in the Revolution because I think that it talks a lot about me being British and American. I thought it wouldn't matter to me who won. But after a while, I started to analyze the information I found in history and realized that there is a right and a wrong. Colonization is wrong because all deserve freedom.
http://go.galegroup.com/ps/retrieve.do?inPS=true&prodId=MSIC&userGroupName=catlin&resultListType=RELATED_DOCUMENT&searchType=ts&contentSegment=&docId=GALE|CX3048900082&it=r
http://www.oldsouthmeetinghouse.org/history/boston-tea-party/frequently-asked-questions-about-boston-tea-party



Hi Cai,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post. I have always been interested about the Boston Tea party, so I liked that that was your topic. I followed one of the links you had, and I found a lot more information. Did the British tax laws affect businesses? If so, for better or for worse? I think it was cool that you talked about something that relates to the Revolutionary time period, but is also personal to you.
Thanks,
Julia
Hi Cai,
ReplyDeleteNice blog post! It was very straight forward. Do you think that in the overall revolution the British had a better chance of winning, and they got overly cocky? It would be hard to chose sides if you were both American and British!
Great writing!
-Tulip
Hi Cai,
ReplyDeleteI liked that you added in how this relates to you personally and I thought that was cool. My question is do all revolutions change history?
Thanks, Braden
Cai,
ReplyDeleteThis was a really great blog post. I never really knew much about the Boston Tea party so it was nice to get to learn more. I enjoyed that you put your own perspective into your blog, it made me think about my own perspective. My question is who did the Boston Tea party start with?
-Emma
Dear Cai,
ReplyDeleteI see your predicament with who to support British or American. I also like your well thought out description of the Boston Tea Party. My one question is, are there any other revolutions that you find interesting?
Sincerely,
William
Cai,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog post and how you asked questions to the reader it made me stop and think about each question. I also liked how you explained your predicament. Which side do you think you support after your research?
-Sanne
Dear Cai,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading about your relation to the Boston tea party. It's really cool to hear how your British and about your thoughts on the Boston Tea Party. My one question would be is this the most interesting thing you like of the revolution? Great work!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Cai,
ReplyDeleteI loved how you incorporated yourself into your post by telling me or any other reader that you are half british half american. Why were taxes and stuff in America? I hope I'm reading this correctly. Sorry if I'm not.
Milo
Hi Cai!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post. I liked the title! I liked how you added some personal history to your post, and how you gave your own opinions on the matter. I liked how I learned about you and the Boston Tea Party. Your writing was eloquent but had a casual tone at the same time. Good job! If you had been alive in that time, what side would you have supported?
- Mikayla
Cai,
ReplyDeleteI thought your post was interesting and the title really pulled me in. I liked the personal touch you added to your piece.
Great post,
Anushka:)
Dear Cai,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your blog post. The title was really good. I also like how you included a lot of information. I did not know much about this topic before reading this post. I also liked how you were able to make a personal connection. What side do you think you would have taken?
From,
Riley
Dear Cai,
ReplyDeleteI thought your blog post was really interesting. My question is if you had been alive at the time, what do you think you would've done?
Nice job,
Sophie
Cai,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog post, the title was really good, as well as all of the information you included. Which side would you support? Nice Work
- Isabel
Dear Cai,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you included your family in your post. I also liked how creative your title was.
-Emma
Cai,
ReplyDeleteWow, the Boston Tea Party was a very interesting topic! Although I don't share the predicament with you being both British and American, unable to choose a side, I understand it deeply! If your life depended on choosing a side, which one would you pick?
Best,
-Flexi