Speaking of scoring, when you get points in a game today they are all from making baskets. However, the original rules said that if a team got three fouls in a row the other team would get a point. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had 4,657 personal fouls in his careers - that would have been 1,552 points awarded to his opponents. I imagine this would have upset his teammates and made teamwork more challenging. In a game like basketball, a lack of teamwork could spell disaster.
Teamwork is an essential element in any team sport. You must work together to accomplish your goal. No one person can score every basket, defend every shot. When I am out on the court I know that my teammates are there to help me and I trust that we will all work together to win the game. Teamwork requires that you trust your teammates and that they trust you - trust you to make smart decisions. Trust you to know when to shoot or when to pass, when to avoid fouls at all costs and when a well timed foul can help you get the win. Teamwork makes the (basketball) dream work, but failure to work as a team could very well end up costing you and your team the game.
Sources:

I really liked the title. It definitely made me interested in reading about Basketball.
ReplyDelete-Emma
Hi Emma,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you connected something you do to something that happened in the 20th century. It's cool to see how sports now were played.
Nice job!
Téa
Dear Emma,
ReplyDeleteThis is fascinating! A fruit basket? This blog post was really fun to read because I can connect to basketball. Your heartfelt comment about teamwork was a great connection between the whole foul rule, and Kareem Abdul-Jabarr huge amount of fouls. My one question is how large were the fruit baskets on average?
Sincerely,
Miles
Dear Emma,
ReplyDeleteThis is such a compelling article it shows a clear and precise history of basketball, and it has a distinctive voice which I really like. My question is where was the first basketball game played?
Sincerely,
William
Emma,
ReplyDeleteIt the old basketball rules and how much they have changed are very interesting to read about in your blog post. My question is why did they use fruit baskets and where the games played inside or outside?
Great job!
Mara
Hi Emma,
ReplyDeleteGreat blog post! It was super great at comparing the two basketball games together. Also really interesting facts!
I had no idea that basketball was invented by somebody! I always figured that it just kind of evolved.
Nice work!
-Tulip
Hi Emma,
ReplyDeleteGreat blog post! It was super great at comparing the two basketball games together. Also really interesting facts!
basketball was invented by somebody? I always figured that it just kind of evolved.
Nice work!
-Tulip
Hi Emma,
ReplyDeleteIt was very interesting to read this article! I never knew the old rule about getting too many fouls and having the other team be given a point. One question when did basketball become available for women?
Great Work!
-Sophia S
Emma,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your post and I never would have thought basketball, or any sport, could have been invented by a person. Your idea of writing about basketball was really interesting and cool. That is also very weird that it used to be played with fruit baskets and now is played with a hoop. Why didn't they just cut a whole in the bottom of the basket?
Great post!
-Thea
Hi Emma,
ReplyDeleteThat was a great post! You explained a lot of very interesting history behind the sport of basketball. I can imagine how tedious it would be to have to always get a ladder out after every single basket. How long did it take for the hoop itself to evolve into what it is right now?
Sincerely,
Adam
Hey Emma,
ReplyDeleteI thought that your post was very well written, and I was able to be able to connect to many of the points that you made about teamwork. I've noticed that the typical person mostly just cares about scoring, but not about the important mechanics of the game, like teamwork. Why does a basket count as two points (or three points) instead of the typical one-point-per-one-basket ratio that most other games have?
Great post!
Thea T
Emma,
ReplyDeleteI found this very true. Although I do not play Basketball, I do play soccer and your post got me thinking: How much have other sports changed? One question I have is: when did Basketball get so popular?
Keep on blogging!
Noah
Dear Emma,
ReplyDeleteThis was a really good blog post. I like how you brought up one of the most important factors in basketball, teamwork. Like you said, teamwork is really important. I can relate to you when you say how much basketball has changed over the years. What would you have done if the game was still for men? Great work!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Hi Emma!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post. Your writing was very clear and concise. The fruit basket was an interesting idea. I am sure glad they changed that! Are there some original rules that you wished would have stayed?What about rules that you think they should have?
- Mikayla
Dear Emma M,
ReplyDeleteYour writing really explained the depth of basketball and really brought my understanding of basketball to a new level. My question is would you rather play basketball in the Past or the Present ?
Sincerely Emma L.
Dear Emma M,
ReplyDeleteYour writing really explained the depth of basketball and really brought my understanding of basketball to a new level. My question is would you rather play basketball in the Past or the Present ?
Sincerely Emma L.
Dear Emma,
ReplyDeleteI loved you style of writing and your post really made me think about basketball on a deeper level. The history is really interesting!
Great post,
Anushka:)
Hi Emma,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post. It was especially fascinating when you talked about how they used to use fruit baskets! What turned basketball in to such a popular sport, especially in the United States? The part where you talked about the importance of teamwork at the end, was like the icing on the cake. Great Work!
-Kelly
Hi Emma,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading you post. It was really interesting to learn that they used fruit baskets. I just have two questions; when and how did basketball get popular? Was it in the US? This was an excellent piece to read.
Thanks,
Julia
Dear Emma,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you talked about the rules of Basketball back then to the rules now. My question to you is where was Basketball first invented?
-Emma
Dear Emma,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading you post. I don't know very much about basketball, but you were able to explain the rules very well and made your post easy to understand. I liked the images you chose to include with your blog post. Why do you think basketball has changed so much?
From,
Riley
Hey Emma,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your blog post. You explained basketball very well considering I don't know much about it. The pictures you chose really helped as well. What's caused basketball to change so much? Well done
- Isabel
Dear Emma,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog, I also like it because it was about something I do also. I really like how you had the information about Kareem. My one question is do you think we should have kept some of the rules that they got ride of for todays game?
Great blogging
Cai
Emma,
ReplyDeleteGreat job on your blogpost! I like how you incorporated your passion for basketball into the piece. You caused me to think more about basketball and understand it on a deeper level. In the your piece you mentioned 13 original rules, what are some other rules that have changed? What are some rules that have stayed the same?
Kyra
Emma M,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this :)
Wow, who knew that the hoop was a fruit basket. Shows how the sport has evolved so quickly! What are the 13 rules that were there back then?
Nice post!
-Lion
Emma M,
ReplyDeleteWow! I love how you incorporated both solid information and your ever growing passion for basketball in this post! Who knew the basketball hoop started out as a fruit basket?! Do you think we should bring back some of the discarded rules in the game you talk about?
SHOOT for the stars,
-Flexi