Thursday, February 18, 2016

Food Now Vs Food in the American Revolution

Food in American Revolution vs Food Now


Everyday, we might take going to the grocery store for granted. It’s only a 15 minute drive, and it has everything you would need. A seemingly endless supply of basic necessities. You can pretty much buy anything you would want. Fruits, veggies, bread, and much more. The people of the American Revolution were rationed to very little per day and per week. Imagine if you had to share molasses and other food with 99 other men, well that’s what people in the American Revolution had to endure. Many other basic needs were cut down to very little for soldiers, and for other people who weren’t on the war. It was very far from gourmet.



There certainly weren’t an McDonald's or any restaurants for that matter. Most people ate things they hunted or grew. Milk, fruits, veggies, eggs, and grains were common to trade and eat. Most people at a lot of stews of meat and vegetables. Woman spent a lot of their day cooking because they had to milk the cow, build a fire for cooking, bring water from the well, and get the meat ready to eat. There was a big meal each day that was served around 2pm.


Nowadays, there are restaurants, grocery stores, and farmers markets that you can get food without working very hard. Many women now have jobs, and don’t spend half their day cooking. You can go to grocery store and get all the things you need to cook a meal, or to make it easier you can go to a restaurant and order a dish, without doing any work; it’s prepared for you. We normally eat three meals a day with snacks in between. For most families, dinner is probably the biggest meal. Most families don't have huge gardens, I know for sure that my family doesn't really know how to garden. We have a couple strawberry plants, but that's about it.



The reason it’s easier to get food now, is because it’s more accessible. We don't have to slaughter our own food. When I was three, I certainly didn't help kill the chickens for dinner. Technology has also played a role in making it more accessible. We now have cars, planes, and boats that help food get transported from around the world into one place. In the American Revolution they didn’t have those privileges of having foods get transported from around the world, right to them.

Even in the last 100 years, things have changed dramatically. In 1900, a small child would know how to kill a chicken, and older kids would know how to grow their own food. Today, in kindergarten, I'm pretty sure most kids grew their own little pea plant or a small vegetable. Most people would agree that eating your food that you grew, was awesome; however, you probably don't want to know how your chicken, that you're eating for dinner, was killed.

In conclusion, food now has gotten much more complicated. We can go to a grocery store and get food from right here, Japan, or Morocco. Food has become more accessible and because of that, the food and dishes that you can make have changed.

36 comments:

  1. I really liked the part where you said "When I was three, I certainly didn't help kill the chickens for dinner."
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very contrasting topic and it made me think about what we eat in a new way.
    Question: What do you think that other cultures with revolutions within them would have done with their food at that time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sophie,
    I liked how you used a quote in your piece, it adds a lot of character. My question is, where there any restaurant in the revolutions period?
    Well done,
    William

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophie,
    I loved how you compared the two time periods, it really makes you grateful for what you get and not (or try not to) take everything for granted. I really liked the quote and how you made it personable. Great job!
    Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sophie,
    I really liked how you compared what food you might eat in the revolutionary era and now. This really brought everything you said together, and makes you wonder how much the food has changed in the past years. My favorite sentence was how you say that " when I was three, I certainly didn't help kill the chickens for dinner," because it's very true that people don't slaughter animals anymore for dinner. Nice work!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sophie,
    I loved this post because of the clarity of who were talking about and how it made me think about how easy it really is to go to the grocery store. I wonder if you might want to go into more clarity about how specifically hard it would be for those people to get their food?
    Thanks!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sophie,
    I loved this post because of the clarity of who were talking about and how it made me think about how easy it really is to go to the grocery store. I wonder if you might want to go into more clarity about how specifically hard it would be for those people to get their food?
    Thanks!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Sophie,
    I loved this post because of the clarity of who were talking about and how it made me think about how easy it really is to go to the grocery store. I wonder if you might want to go into more clarity about how specifically hard it would be for those people to get their food?
    Thanks!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Sophie,
    I loved this post because of the clarity of who were talking about and how it made me think about how easy it really is to go to the grocery store. I wonder if you might want to go into more clarity about how specifically hard it would be for those people to get their food?
    Thanks!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sophie,
    I really enjoyed reading your post!
    It was really cool how you talked about how food has changed and what people ate in the American Revolution and what people eat now.
    When did restaurants become popular?
    Really great post!
    -Thea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sophie,
    I always knew that people A long time ago would have to make every single scrap of food that they eat, But I did not realize that they would spend so much time on preparing it! Do you think that one day we won't even have to step outside to get food? Such as ordering it online and it appearing on our doorsteps?

    Thanks!
    -Ayla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayla,
      I think that that could definitely be a possibility. I hadn't really thought of that, but that definitely seems that it could be of something in out future.
      Thanks,
      Sophie

      Delete
  12. Sophie
    I was really surprised and humbled by your post. It really made me feel lucky for all the access to food that we have and the variety of food that we can taste. My questions is, do you think that food has gotten healthier or unhealthier in modern times ?
    Great post !
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eric,
      I think that it definitely has gotten more processed. It depends on where or what you eat, but probably unhealthier.
      Thank for your comment,
      Sophie

      Delete
  13. Hi Sophie,
    I must say as a member of Portland I am a foodie at heart and enjoy a wide span of food. I couldn't imagine having to go out and try and hunt something food dinner all week. Question: what is your favorite food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connor, I think my favorite food is probably pancakes, or any Italian food.
      -Sophie

      Delete
  14. Sophie,
    I liked your blog post with all your facts. I liked how you compare then and now and not only talked about then. I liked the line you used "When I was three, I certainly didn't help kill the chickens for dinner." Good Job! Would you want to grow most of your own food? What would you grow?
    ~Sanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sophie,

    I like how you clearly showed the perspectives between us and kids from a century ago. My question is, were there any sizable markets at the revolutionary war period?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sophie!
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I was eating at the time, and it made me think about the food I was eating more! You were very specific and provided good examples. What do you think food might be like in the next 100 years?
    - Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Table of contents: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZgdJOC-uZ04a8AhneO9xICWONfQWW-FQUJgXAIUDjBw/edit#

      Delete
  17. Wasup Sophie,
    I thought you're post was really interesting you took a new perspective of food and comparing fast food to "old food" most people would just compare it too four years ago and my question is
    if the past came to the future would you gather food or go to Mcdonalds.
    Sincerely Emma L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasup Sophie,
      I thought you're post was really interesting you took a new perspective of food and comparing fast food to "old food" most people would just compare it too four years ago and my question is
      if the past came to the future would you gather food or go to Mcdonalds?
      Sincerely Emma L.

      Delete
    2. Wasup Sophie,
      I thought you're post was really interesting you took a new perspective of food and comparing fast food to "old food" most people would just compare it too four years ago and my question is
      if the past came to the future would you gather food or go to Mcdonalds?
      Sincerely Emma L.

      Delete
  18. Wasup Sophie,
    I thought you're post was really interesting you took a new perspective of food and comparing fast food to "old food" most people would just compare it too four years ago and my question is
    if the past came to the future would you gather food or go to Mcdonalds.
    Sincerely Emma L.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wasup Sophie,
    I thought you're post was really interesting you took a new perspective of food and comparing fast food to "old food" most people would just compare it too four years ago and my question is
    if the past came to the future would you gather food or go to Mcdonalds?
    Sincerely Emma L.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Sophie!
    I really liked your blog post! It made me really think about how lucky we are when it comes to getting food at the grocery store. I was wondering if there were restaurant type areas back then? Well done!
    - Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isabel,
      I don't think that there were any restaurants, I think it's because of the war.
      Thanks, Sophie

      Delete
  21. Hi Sophie,
    I love food and it was really interesting to hear your perspective on it. Your post reminded me of how lucky we are to have such easy access to food.
    Great post,
    Anushka:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sophie,
    I really liked how you talked about food and how the proportions had changed so much. You reminded me of how much we take food for granted. One question though. How did our lunch time move from 2pm to around 12pm?

    Keep on blogging!
    Noah

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Sophie,
    I really liked how you added pictures of delicious food! My question to you is when was the first restaurant created?
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Sophie,
    I really like all the detail and description you put into your blog. I a lso really like that you added pictures of food today compared to food along time ago. I. cant even imagine having kill or collect my own food.
    Amazing blog!
    -Essie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Sophie,

    I really liked reading your piece. It was very informative, but still interesting to read. I also liked how you talked about how the food has changed since the revolutions. Why did you decide to talk about food in the American revolution instead of a different one such as the Industrial or French revolutions?

    From,
    Riley

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Sophie,
    I really liked reading your blog post, it was very interesting and I really liked the pictures you used. My questions his that since now we have more food and places to get food, do you think this makes us greedier?
    Great blogging,
    Cai

    ReplyDelete
  27. To Sophie,
    This was such a unique and cool blog post! I love how you compared and contrasted foods at different time periods? Do you think that the food is increasingly unhealthier over time or healthy?
    Nice job!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sophie,

    I loved the compared you made with food eaten in the revolution versus now! It really made me try to wrap my head around how much the food has changed. I was literally falling out of my seat when you said "when I was three, I certainly didn't help kill the chickens for dinner," thanks for the laugh! Do you think food has gotten progressively unhealthier as we get farther in time? Fabulous work!

    Eat more chicken,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete