Monday, February 8, 2016

b'nei mitzvah

For many people their bar or bat mitzvah is their biggest day in their life. When I think of my bar mitzvah, I think of all the work that my parents, grandparents and great grandparents put into theirs. When the Rabbi (leader of a service) takes the torah (bible/scroll) out of the ark at bar or bat mitzvah  he invites up parents and grandparents to pass the torah down to the student.

As the Rabbi passes the torah down from each family member he says that we are all a link in the chain of our jewish ancestors. I believe that this means that we all create a bigger part of the community. My torah portion is about after the Israelites left Egypt and where wandering in the desert moses commands them to build a tabernacle to hold the scroll and commandments. Everyone either brings something or contributes by building it. This shows that everyone was trying to be a part of community. Everyday I work on my torah portion to practice for my big day.
http://cdn.charismanews.com/images/archives/stories/featured-news/Torah-Jewish.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5258/5434942575_1c52b2fbf6.jpg

21 comments:

  1. Dear Maxen,
    I liked your post because it's personal and talks about your own experiences. I have never known what this tradition really is until this year, when I experienced someone else's. It's amazing how much work has to be put in and after reading this post, I understand what the traditional purpose of this ceremony really is.
    Sincerely,
    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Maxen,
    I liked the story and the images and I liked how you shared a story about you and some information as well. Did you ever do research on your torah portion ever? I think it would be interesting.
    Sincerely,
    Grant N

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Maxen,
    This post was really great to read, because you shared how determined you are to follow in your ancestors footsteps and do a good job at your bar mitzvah. I thought it was interesting how your torah portion is going to be about the people building a tabernacle. I think it's awesome how you're going to present all of your hard work to people, and I hope you do amazing!

    Keep up the good blogging!
    --Grant U

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maxen!
    I really liked reading about your experience as someone who will do a bar mitzvah. Do you think that it will be the biggest day of your life?
    - Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maxen,
    It was very cool to read about how other cultures experience ceremonies, up until now I really did not have much idea of how bar/bat mitzvah worked. One question I have would be how much preparation goes into a traditional ceremony
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maxen,
    I liked reading about your experiences and I found it interesting how cultures do ceremonies. It made me think about the interaction of different cultures around the world. Question: Do you know of other ceremonies like bar or bat mitzvahs in other cultures?

    Good Post!
    Rylan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Maxen,
    What a nice post! It is so nice to look at an inside opinion of the bat mitsvah process. Your post is short and to the point. My one question is, are there any other really important Jewish holidays and if so what do they celebrate?
    Regards,
    William

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maxen,
    I liked how you explained bat/bar mitsvah because I had been to a few but never really heard bout the process of making one happen. I liked how you included detail and talked a little about your own bar mitsvah. My question is when do you start preparing for a bat/bar mitsvah?
    Keep writing,
    Sanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Maxen,
    I really liked reading this blog post, especially because I'm jewish too. Your post really had me reflect on how important a bar or bat mitzvah is, and you had powerful descriptions of why there important. My one question is how long do you study before you have a bar mitzvah? Great work!
    Sincerely,
    Rachel Y.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Maxen
    I it was interesting to hear about such an important day in your culture. I was surprised that so much went in to making it happen. My question is: is it challenging to study the Torah ?
    great post !
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Maxen,
    I loved your story. You put so much detail and imagery into your writing! I was wondering how long the bat mitzvahs last?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maxen,
    I liked the personal touch you added to you piece and I thought that it was really interesting to hear the detail you added.
    Great post,
    Anushka:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Maxen,

    I really liked how you chose a topic that was very important to you. I have been to a few bat or bar mitzvahs, but I have never fully understood how much work goes into them. Have you already started working on yours, and are you nervous or excited?

    From,
    Riley

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maxen,

    I really like how you showed how the topic affected you very personally. My question is, when did you start preparing for this momentous occasion?

    Great Post,
    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maxen,
    I really liked reading your blog post, and how the topic you chose is very important to you. I've only been to a couple bat/bar mitzvahs, but I never knew about all the work put into them. Are you excited for yours? Nice Job
    - Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Maxen,
    I really liked how you included a lot of information, but your post was also a fun read! My question to you is how long have you been studying for your bar mitzvah?
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maxen,
    I like how you talk about every body in the torah helping out and you relate that to your practicing for your bat mitzvah with all of your relatives. How long did it take the Israelites to build the tabernacle?
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Maxen,
    I really enjoyed your blog, it was really interesting to learn about a big part in your culture. My question is what is the main thing you have to study while getting prepared for your Bar Mitzvah?

    Great Blogging,
    Cai

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Maxen,
    I loved hearing this post! I was pretty emotional during it and I can relate for practicing for something big, but not as big as this. My one question is, how long have you been practicing for this day?

    Thank you for your time,
    Andrew Jacob Nemecek

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maxen,

    I absolutely loved this post! It was extremely interesting to learn about and dive into a huge part of your culture! What is the main thing you have to study while getting prepared for your Bar Mitzvah?

    Indulge me,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete