
Everyone could think of something they love to do, but would they really know the history of it? I’ve been dancing since I was about five years old, and I never really took the time to think about where dance could have come from. Until now I hadn’t thought that maybe the revolutionary time period helped jumpstart this art. Every time before I go onstage I go over the choreography (dance steps) in my head. I get prepared to perform what I was taught, although where did these steps actually come from? For instance dance was invented a long time ago, and has been developed over time. In the revolutionary time period, Baroque dance and music was a big thing and lots of people knew of it. Today in the 21st century dance is very different, although there actually are quite a few similarities. The dance steps in the Baroque dances are pretty much the same as the ones today, they were just executed differently, mostly by the style of the steps. Back in that time period the dances tended to be more grounded and connected to the floor, whereas the dance done today (specifically ballet) is more light on the feet with the emphasis going up. For me it’s really weird to now think that every dance I’ve done wasn’t actually original, it had to come from somewhere and that would be the Baroque dance steps. Although these dance steps seem a little weird to me at first, I can definitely recognize that the base of the step is still used today, but tweaked a little. Also the dance is usually done with a partner and in really elaborate outfits (in my opinion), which has changed a lot today. Thankfully :)
Here is a link to an example of the Baroque dance:
Sources:
Photos:
Dear Isabel,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you started with what you thought of dance before you knew, then moved on to what you learned and how it changed your mindset. So did knowing this help memorize dance moves?
-Sean
Thanks Sean, I wouldn't say knowing this helped me memorize dance moves. I've known the dance moves I do for a while so knowing this only helped me understand where they came from.
Delete- Isabel
Hello Isabel,
ReplyDeleteI like how you had a personal aspect to your blog. What are some steps that originated in baroque times that are used today?
Great job ;),
Katie
Thank you Katie!
DeleteIt's hard to really explain the steps still used today because they've been changed so much, although some of the basic ones are still used.
Dear Isabel,
ReplyDeleteI love how you talk about all the different baroque dance steps, and how you dance differently than the orginial dance moves. I've always thought about where different dances originated from, and this makes it easy for me to understand how they differentiate from each other. One question would be why do you think the dance steps are lighter now than they used to be? Great work!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Thank you Rachel!
DeleteI would say that they are lighter because we've changed the way they are executed and just in general that's how it ended up to be.
Hi Isabel!
ReplyDeleteI loved your post! Now that I think of it, I don't really know where gymnastics originated from! Thanks to your reminder in your lovely blog post, I wouldn't have thought of it. I really like that in your blog post you made lots of comparisons to dancing today, and how you told us you even recognized some of it. My question to you is, have you ever done a baroque or older dance influenced performance? Once again, great job!
Sincerely,
Francesca
Thanks Francesca!
DeleteNo, I have not done a Baroque influenced dance or an older influenced dance.
Hey Isabel,
ReplyDeleteI am not a particular fan of dancing. I do think it is a wonderful art that takes time and patience to master. My question is, was Baroque the only thing that made dancing popular? If so, what made it so "attractive"?
Thanks Connor,
DeleteI wouldn't say it's the only thing that made dancing popular, there were many other dances done, but this kind was one of the original.
Hi Isabel,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you shared your personal view of dance and how baroque dancing was connected to modern day dancing. One question I have for you is what other types of dance (besides ballet) originated from Baroque dancing? Great job on your blogpost!
Kyra
Thank You Kyra!
DeleteI think it was mostly ballet because ballet is what every style connects to.
Dear Isabel,
ReplyDeleteI really liked the depth of feeling that you imparted to your article. It really expresses your love of dancing. My one question for you is, where did dancing originate?
Sincerely,
William
Thanks William,
DeleteI not so sure where dancing directly originated.
Dear Isabel,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog post and how you had lots of detail! I liked all you opinions in your post! Why did you start dancing? What was your favorite dance you have performed?
Keep dancing,
Sanne
Thank you Sanne! I honestly don't know why I started dancing all I remember is walking past the studio I'm at right now and thinking that what they were doing in there was so amazing. My favorite dance I've performed is probably the competition piece we did last year as a group.
DeleteIsabel
ReplyDeleteI like how you told the readers about how you relate to the dances back then. I know I feel the same way when I am about to go on stage before I play a piano piece at my share days. What styles of dance did they use back then?
Thanks Milo,
DeleteThey used the style of Baroque dancing.
Hi Isabel!
ReplyDeleteI liked how you took a piece of your life that is important to you and added some interesting history to it! What different kinds of dance have you done, and what is your favorite?
- Mikayla
Thank you Mikayla! I do many types of dance like ballet, pointe, lyrical, contemporary, hip hop, musical theatre, jazz, tap, and tumbling. I enjoy all of these, but my favorite would probably be contemporary. Although I do many types of dance I don't do the kind we're doing in PE.
DeleteHello Isabel,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you compared the dancing then to now. It was fun to read about this because I love to dance. My question is what inspired you to dance?
From,
Imara
Thanks Imara!
DeleteI don't know what inspired me to dance, it just sounded really fun to me.
Dear Isabel,
ReplyDeleteYour piece was very well written and I liked the pictures you chose. You can tell this is something you are very passionate about. There was a lot of interesting information, but was also entertaining to read because you were able to make personal connections. What types of dance do you do, and what is your favorite type of dance?
From,
Riley
Thank you Riley! I do many types of dance like ballet, pointe, lyrical, contemporary, hip hop, musical theatre, jazz, tap, and tumbling. I enjoy all of these, but my favorite would probably be contemporary. Although I do many types of dance I don't do the kind we're doing in PE.
DeleteHi Isabel,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post. It was very interesting to read about something you are so passionate about. It definitely had the personal aspect to it. After learning about Baroque dancing, is it easier to compare your dancing to it?
Great Job,
Julia
Thank you Julia!
DeleteI wouldn't say it's now easier for me to compare it, but maybe a little bit.
Dear Isabel,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you deeply compared dancing during the revolution time period to dancing now. My question to you is how long have you been dancing?
-Emma
Thanks Emma!
DeleteI've been dancing for about 8 years.
Dear Isabel,
ReplyDeleteI really like that you wrote about something that you love and have been doing since you were five. When reading your post I realized that I do a lot of sports and extracurricular but I don't really know the history of any of them. I love that you added a video link and picture! Do you know what the first dance form was?
Great Post
Essie :)
Thank you Essie!
DeleteI don't know what the first dance form was.
Isabel,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post. I think that its cool that you wrote about what you were passionate about! Reading this made me think about how much of our daily lives come from a long time ago
Meagan
Thank you Meagan!
DeleteIsabel,
ReplyDeleteI loved your post, it was extremely relatable! I used to do rhythmic gymnastics, so I really recognized the similarities derived from baroque that is in rhythmic. Have you ever done something like a baroque? Outstanding job!
Dance to the ends of the Earth,
-Flexi