"Skiing is a dance and the mountain always leads"~unknown. Skiing is a sport that I am very passionate about. The wind blowing in your face, racing down the hill is an action that I crave. Skiing has evolved so much over hundreds of years, from the from early skies made of wood, to the carbon fiber skies today, there are many differences.
The physics of skiing are not to complicated. Skiing relies mostly on gravity as gravity pulls everything around us to the center of the Earth. The gravity that pulls everything to the center of the Earth pulls skiers down the hill as well. It causes skiers to increase their speed. A skier's increase of speed is also affected by friction. Manipulating that friction gives a skier control. The types and styles as well as the materials used to make skies can help to have all these factors to make skier’s faster.
At the very beginning when skies were used, they were all custom made from single planks of wood. There were special ski makers who knew how to make the ski nicely and well. Other skies could be made by family members or neighbors.
In 1850 the cambered ski was invented. The cambered ski was invented by woodcarvers in the province of Telemark, Norway. After the bow shaped cambered ski the first Telemark ski was demonstrated. After a few more skies being invented and tweaked, in 1932 the first successful laminated skies with three layers were invented. They were invented by Bjorn Ullevoldsaeter in Norway.
Many, many skies have been developed over many years. All these skies made and designed all led to the skies today, the skies I ski on. At races, on the mountain I see hundreds of types of skies by themselves. I don’t know if I will ever see every type, but skiing is my passion and the physics and the materials used for skies all affect me. I hope to be skiing my whole life, the wind in my face, the feeling of the cold white snow. I don’t want to ever give that feeling up.
Watch these cool videos!!
Works Cited
“Elan RCG Waveflex Plate Junior Race Skis.” skis.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 Feb. 2016.
“let’s laugh at old gear.” New schoolers. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 Feb. 2016.
“A Short History of Skis.” International Skiing History. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 Feb. 2016. <https://www.skiinghistory.org/history/short-history-skis-0>.
“Skis.” On the snow. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 Feb. 2016.
“Vintage Ski Decor.” Vintage Winter. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 Feb. 2016. <http://www.vintagewinter.com/collections/vintage-winter-antiques-and-home-decor?page=11>.
Hi Sanne,
ReplyDeleteI loved your blog post. I have never skied before but now that I read how fun it is, I might want to give it a try. I thought it was really interesting about the different types of skies and the physics of skiing. My one question is that you said you never see your type of skies on the mountain. What type of skies do you have? Do you use different skies for different things?
Keep up the great blogging!
Your Friend,
Jade :)
Hey Sanne,
ReplyDeleteThe quote at the beginning of your post was really interesting. It was really cool that you wrote about something you're very passionate about, I could tell. It was also interesting that you wrote about how skiing works, I never thought about that before. Do people still ski on skies made of wood? And if so have you ever seen them?
Nice job!
Téa
Hi Sanne,
ReplyDeleteI never really enjoyed skiing but you made it sound very fun and exciting. My question is how were the first skis made?
Thanks Braden.
Hi Sanne,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about how the post affected you personally. My question is when was the first skis made?
Hi Sanne!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading about the technical side of skiing, which is a side that people don't get to hear about very often. Do you want to be a professional skier?
- Mikayla
Dear Sanne,
ReplyDeleteWhat a powerful article! One can practically feel the wind on one's face as you blow down the mountain. I especially like the brief history of Telemark skiing. My question for you is this, what type of skier are you?
Sincerely,
William
Dear William,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your compliment! I am an alpine ski racer for the MAC (Multnomah Athletic Club).
Thank you,
Sanne
Dear Jade,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your compliment! You should totally go skiing! Let me know if you do! To answer your question, I have two pairs of skis; GS (Giant Slalom)skis, for wider turns; and SL (Slalom) skis for smaller turns. How ever their are many more types for different styles of skiing for example; downhill skis, super g skis, and powder skis ect.
Hope that helps and see you soon,
Sanne
Dear Sanne,
ReplyDeleteI loved hearing about the history of skis! It's so cool to be led back to where all these awesome skies we have now originated from. How long have you been skiing? What are your favorite types of skis? Nice job!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Hey Sanne,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post. I liked how you combined your love of skiing, the history of it, and some of the technical components of the sport. How did you get started skiing?
Keep up the awesome writing!
Thea T
Hi Sanne,
ReplyDeleteI loved the way you opened with that quote, it really pulled me in. I also liked how you combined the scientific/historical part of skiing while at the same time showing your passion for the sport and how it has affected you. Who are some professional skiers that have inspired you?
Thank you!!
-Kelly
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Sanne,
ReplyDeleteThis post was awesome because you related to something you do a lot and now you know ski's? better and thats pretty cool, my question is do you think skiing is like dancing?
Sincerely Emma.
Dear Sanne,
ReplyDeleteThis post was awesome because you related to something you do a lot and now you know ski's? better and thats pretty cool, my question is do you think skiing is like dancing?
Sincerely Emma.
Dear Sanne,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post! You can clearly tell that skiing is something you are very passionate about. I was able to learn a lot from your post, but it was still entertaining to read. I also really liked the quote you chose to open your piece with. Are there different types of ski racing? If so, what types do you do?
From,
Riley
Dear Sanne,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you included very interesting pictures in your post. I also really liked how your title was a quote! My question to you is how long have you been skiing?
-Emma
Hi Sanne,
ReplyDeleteI love how you described how you feel when you're skiing, and it made this post a lot more personal and connected to you. The quotes you included were also great! I was wondering how you started skiing and why it stuck with you. Awesome job!
-Margot
Hey Sanne!
ReplyDeleteI love how you chose a topic that's so personal to you which made your blog post even more fun to read. I was also able to learn lots from it. The quote at the beginning really hooked the reader in. My question is what types of skiing do you do, and which is your favorite? Well done!
Sanne,
ReplyDeleteI know how much you love skiing and it was really cool that you were able to write about a topic that you are so passionate about! I also loved your quote as well as your visuals. Have you tried different types of skiing?
Great post,
Anushka:)
Sanne,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blogpost. I liked how you incorporated your passion of skiing into your piece. I also liked your quote at the beginning, "Skiing is a dance and the mountain always leads." Where is your favorite place to Ski?
Kyra
Sansan,
ReplyDeleteI love how you based your post off of a huge passion you hold close to your heart, skiing! In CnC, you are always eager to indulge us with your fascinating stories of your breathtaking experiences with skiing, and I love how some of your eagerness shows here in your post! Do you have any professional skiers that inspired you to take on such an awesome sport?
Follow your passion, everything is DOWNHILL from here,
-Flexi