Thursday, February 28, 2019

Why are Guns a Thing?

Why are Guns a Thing? That is what I am going to try to answer. I’m going to talk about how they were invented, how they've changed over the years, and if they should exist.


How were guns invented? Guns were invented in China in 142 A.D. when it was first mentioned as it would “fly and dance”. At first, people were trying to make a potion that let you live forever, but they ended up inventing gunpowder. In 33 A.D. a scientist by the name of Ge Hong wrote down the ingredients for gunpowder-
When gunpowder was first invented no one really had a true use for it, and for a while, it was pretty useless. But then people started using then in fireworks which would make parties or celebrations very exciting to be at. Then in around 900 A.D. the first “guns” were invented. They looked like a mini cannon on a stick and back then they weren’t always super reliable. Also later then cannons were invented and gunpowder started to spread.


Guns first started to spread across the globe in around 1100 A.D.. At first, gunpowder was just supposed to be a secret weapon, but after a while, the Romans and Islamic empires started to figure out how to use gunpowder for guns. So slowly over time guns spread all over the world. But in my opinion, England was the most affected by guns when they arrived. In around the 1300s, England got guns and used them to fight. The three main advantages to guns were-
  1. Distance
  2. More power
  3. Fewer people needed to operate
For a ram back then you would usually need around ten people to operate it but for a cannon, at most, it was three. Eventually, all people really fought with was cannons or guns. So about one thousand years in the future now we basically only use guns to fight. The US has around 393 million guns, which is 42% of all the guns in the world.


Should guns exist? I think not. Now if guns never were discovered who knows how many wars and battles wouldn’t have happened. But then again if they didn’t happen then what would our world look like without guns? No one can really guess because so many things have happened because of guns. In 2015 13,286 people died from firearms, and around 900,000 people die each year. So according to that around 1% of people in 2015 died of guns. Which even though it's a small amount, it's too many. In addition, guns are now basically apart of our culture. Think about all the video games in the world that involve guns, there's a lot, and it's to the point where guns are probably sometimes why people buy games, for the thrill of “holding” a weapon. So with all these school shootings, it's showing that this is really not good. That is why in my opinion guns should not have been invented.

Main source: https://quatr.us/china/gunpowder-ancient-china.htm

20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johnsmith234,
      I liked how you made connections from the beginning and end of guns. Are you just focused about guns in the U.S. or other countries to?
      From Jesus

      Delete
  3. Dear Johnsmith234
    I really like the data about how many guns america has. Why did you chose this topic?
    From bilbo the cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Johnsmith234,

      Good blog! I was wondering what might happen if guns were not there? I think that guns aren't the problem, the people are.

      peace!

      -Fufa

      Delete
  5. Hi Johnsmith234,
    I really liked how the pictures you added in added to the topic of guns. The question you asked," Should guns exist" made me think of pros and cons of why they should exist. When you mentioned that they were first mentioned that they would fly and dance, it made me wonder what they meant about them flying and dancing.
    Sincerely,
    Soccer is Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Johnsmith234,
    I really like how you included multiple pictures into your blog post. As Soccer Is Life said, when you said "should guns exist" it made me think of pros and cons of guns. According to your graph, Brazil has over 40,000 deaths just because of gun violence. If that is so, how did this happen?

    Sincerely,
    Bozzy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Johnsmith234,
    I like how you stated your opinion on guns. According to you, 900,000 people die a year from guns. Do you think this is mostly from wars or some from mass shootings. Also, do you think that guns being a part of our culture is bad?
    Sincerely, Theawesomeperson

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi Johnsmith234,
    I liked how you included your own opinion but also left room for the authors opinion and provided them with interesting facts and statistics that made me think. you stated that the world would be different without guns in our past and present, HOW do you think it would be?
    thanks,
    liv

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Johnsmith234,
    Your own opinion was nice to hear throughout your blog because it had me think even more. I sort of agree with you about why guns should not have been invented but also I think of self defence and then I think more about war and what it's like with guns. This was a nice blog to read because it was well written and I think overall smooth writing. Do you think it is bad that the U.S. has so many guns?
    Keep up the good work,
    PortugueseGrape

    ReplyDelete
  10. Johnsmith234,
    Hearing about your opinion made me think about what the other side would say. I have never really thought about this topic and I learned a lot from reading your blog. How was gunpower discovered?

    MM_Z

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Johnsmith,
    First of all, nice Fortnite photo. I agree guns are not something that we can allow. I like your start. I don't understand why guns are a thing either. What do you think is a good way to get rid of guns? I know in Australia they did a buy back. Do you think that would work?
    elephantsandslothsarecool

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi johnsmith234
    i really liked this because you wrote about something you were passionate about, and it really shone through. it was very detailed and overall was a great post. how do you think the world would be different without guns?
    -gracie :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi johnsmith234,
    i really liked your post because it really made me think. when you talk about diminishing guns are you talking about just the us or international?
    -gracie :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi johnsmith234,
    I really enjoyed your blog post and how much information you put in there. I especially enjoyed your images because they helped explain your blog post. Do you think there are any benefits of guns or are guns just a negative thing in general?
    -Teeny Tiny Fury

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi johnsmith234,
    I thought your blog post was really interesting. Reading that changes my whole perception on guns. Do you think that if there were no guns, then would the United States be here today?
    -Lebron James

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi johnsmith234,
    I think that you have a valid point, but it is good to remeber that even if we did not have guns we would still have wars, we would just have them with swords instead. So I am wondering why you think that if we did not have guns we would not have wars?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Johnsmith234,

    I really liked how you wrote in two perspectives. It made me think about both sides of the argument. If you were to create a new weapon instead of using a gun, what would it be?

    Thanks,
    AwesomePig

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jesus, bilbo the cat, TTV.fufa, Soccer is Life, Bozzy, Theawesomeperson, liv, PortugueseGrape, MM_Z, elephantsandslothsarecool, gracie :), Teeny Tiny Fury, Lebron James, Awesomepig, and pinksheep,
    Thank you all for the questions and thoughts! All my responses are below next to your name-
    Jesus- I am focused on all countries, and I’m wondering what side you are on in the gun debate.
    bilbo the cat- in another unit called fame we got to choose inventions and ideas that changed the way people lived and the topic I chose to study the invention of guns. So after that unit I decided, since I had the opportunity to write this blog I decided to expand on it more.
    TTV.fufa- that is true and if I could I would continue to talk about not just guns but weapons in general which would be a whole other blog. What do you think of the idea of weapons?
    Soccer is Life- for the “flying and dancing” I think that he meant how the fire would spark. Also for pros and cons I believe that guns have many of both but that overall there are more cons. What do you think of the pros and cons of guns?
    Bozzy- that graph actual came from=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/02/22/if-video-games-spur-gun-violence-its-only-in-the-united-states/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.432e0c2c7c69 and after quick research it seems that brazil is just really dangerous in terms of guns for some reason. In addition, there's laws that are trying to enforce more guns. What is your thoughts on brazil’s situation?
    Theawesomeperson- I do think that guns being apart of our culture is bad and that guns in video games and movies and more can influence bad things, and I think that the 900,000 deaths a year is hopefully from wars. What do you think is worse wars or shootings?
    Liv- I think that there would still be a lot of problems in the world but it would help a lot to not have guns to add on to the problems. What do think of the idea of no guns?
    PortugueseGrape- In my opinion the amount of guns in the U.S. is bad and we should work on lowering that number. What would you think of the idea of no guns?
    MM_Z- gunpowder was discovered by combining sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate .
    Elephantsandslothsarecool- I think that a slow ban of guns would be the best way to get rid of guns, by getting rid of machine guns then pistols and then slowly getting rid of all of the gunnd I’m wondering what you think of my idea of a slow ban?
    gracie :)- I think that there would still be a lot of problems in the world but it would help a lot to not have guns to add on to the problems. What do think of the idea of no guns? And I am talking about the whole world not just the U.S.
    Teeny Tiny Fury- In my opinion there are no benefits of guns and they are a negative. What do you think the benefits are?
    Lebron James-I think that the united states definitely would still be here but just a lot different, in a good way. What do think would happen in a world without guns?
    Awesomepig- hopefully if no there were no guns there would also be no weapons at all. If you could think of an alternate weapon what would it be?
    Pinksheep- like I said to awesomepig hoefully there would be no weapons at all.

    ReplyDelete