Tuesday, February 26, 2019

The Hard Life of a Middle Kid

The Hard Life of a Middle Kid
Related image

Most people think it’s hard to have a brother or sister. They’ll complain about how it’s annoying to have their younger sibling get all the attention, or have their older sibling get all the cool new stuff. Well, I “get” to complain about both. I’m the middle kid. I have a sister that’s five years older than me, and a brother that’s three years younger than me.

I have two friends that are also middle kids, and sometimes I feel like they’re the only people that understand my struggles. My friends that have one younger sibling complain about how annoying and bratty their younger sibling is. My friends that have an older sibling complain that they have to have hand me downs and that they don’t get new things, ever. They say they feel for me, but they don’t really understand, they just think they do.

My brother gets all the attention and I have to sit there while my parents interrogate him about his day, not looking at me once. Or, they’ll talk to my sister, who’s applying to college, about when the decisions come out, not even asking me how I did on my math test that day.

As much as I hate being the middle kid of three, I know that some people have it worse. During the American Revolution, people had about 7 or 8 kids. I’m glad that I’m not the middle kid of 7 because those unlucky kids probably didn’t get very much attention, if any.

I know I’m very lucky to be living in the time that I do and to have so many great things in life. I know I shouldn’t be complaining, but sometimes I wish I wasn’t stuck in the middle. I also know that studies have shown that middle kids grow up to be the happiest in life, so I have that to look forward to. I hope that I grow up to be very happy, and that my time in the middle gets better.
Image result for family with 7 kids black and white
Source:
Why Women Have Fewer Babies. www.livescience.com/4333-women-babies.html.

21 comments:

  1. Hi DogLover09,
    I may not understand what's like being a middle child but I get that people always complain about being a younger sibling or older sibling. I do! This was a really great blog post.
    -FoxelephantVioleta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you rather be a younger sibling, an older sibling, or stay a middle child?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather be a younger sibling. I don't really know why, but it just seems better. Actually, it's probably because I'd rather be the annoying one, and not get annoyed.

      Delete
    2. Hi DogLover,
      That's funny. I am a younger sibling, and I get that. I do think that older sibling can also be annoying but in a different way(a I am older so I am better, and I will annoy you with that fact). How hard is it to have both an older sibling and a younger one?
      elephantsandslothsarecool

      Delete
  3. Hi DogLover09,
    I love the part where you talk about how people don't understand how it feels to be the middle child, because I completely agree that you really have to be in a position to understand it. I am wondering if you could choose, would you rather be an older sibling, or a younger sibling, as opposed to being the middle child?
    Great job!
    Hamilton9

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi DogLover09,
    I am an only child so I have no idea what it is like to be a middle child, let alone have any siblings. Although I can't understand what it is like to be a middle child, I do understand what it is like when people say "I feel you" when they really don't, they just think they do. Your post was very interesting and fun to read. Good job!
    I also am wondering, along with Hamilton9 and FoxelephantVioleta, if you would choose to have a younger sibling, older sibling, or stay a middle child?
    -Owl Feather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ni Hao DogLover09,
    That’s sweet of you to think about the kids in the American Revolution. I also wonder why you think that there were more kids in a family in the revolution then now? Nice Job.
    You Don't Suck,
    My Name’s Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi DogLover09,
    what a post, enjoyed when you were talking about your feelings on being the middle child (pretty much the whole blog) because it is very common thing to be a middle child and to know really feel much of it besides the fact that you do not like it. Overtime how has you perspective changed on being the middle child in your family, and do you think as you get older you will feel differently on being the middle kid?
    Thanks for the good post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi DogLover09,
    I enjoyed reading when you basically called out more than %50 of the population for being annoyed with having an older or younger sibling. :) I personally can not relate to being a middle child but I was wondering isn't it nice not to have your parents constantly asking you if you did your homework or how your day was?

    Thanks for the wack up call,
    Snow Flack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Snow Flak,
      It is annoying to have your parents constantly nagging you about your day, but for me it's the thought that counts. It's knowing that they don't care about my day as much as my other siblings' days that I don't like. However, after they read this blog they've started asking me about my day more, which is a little annoying, but I like it.
      Thanks for reading my blog!
      -DogLover09

      Delete
  9. hi doglover09,
    i very much enjoyed reading this and had a lot to relate to. I am also technically a middle child, having an older half sister and a younger brother. even though i did not grow up with my sister in the house 24/7, I still remember thinking that she got to do all the cool stuff. I know middle children like to complain about being a middle child (including me), but what do you think are some positive parts about it?

    nice job,
    frog ribbit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi frog ribbit,
      One positive thing is that middle kids grow up to be happier and more successful than the other kids, but we'll just have to wait and see. It's good to know that there are other people in my situation.
      Thanks for reading my post!
      -DogLover09

      Delete
  10. Dear DogLover09,
    I loved reading your blog post! I can relate to the older sister thing but otherwise, I can't relate. If you could be the oldest, youngest, or in the middle, what would you choose?
    Great job!
    -PortugueseGrape

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi DogLover09,
    I really liked this post and though I am an older sibling, I can see have you have it worse. Do you think that there are any benefits of being a middle child or is it all bad?
    -tinyelephant

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Doglover09,
    As the oldest of three, I do not know what it is like to be a middle child. My younger brother is always complaining about not getting anything he wants. After reading your article, I now have more sympathy for him and all other middle children. If you had to choose between being an only child or being the middle of three, what would you choose?
    Nice Job,
    Soccer is Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Soccer Is Life,
      That's a really interesting question. I think I'd rather be the only child because I'd get all the attention and it seems like only kids are kind of spoiled, and who doesn't like being spoiled? I'm glad I didn't have to make that choice though, because that'd be really hard and I'd probably regret whatever I chose for the rest of my life.
      Thanks for the interesting question!
      -DogLover09

      Delete
  13. Doglover09,
    I really like your ending. I'm not the middle child, well I have only one big sister. I really do hope and I know that you will grow up the happiest :) Woul dyou rather be the youngest or the oldest?

    MM_Z

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi doglover09,
    I can sort of relate to this because I am not the middle child but my brothers are a lot older than me so my parents visit them a lot, and are away a lot just in general. Do you think that there are positives to being the middle child?
    -gracie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Doglover09,
    I think it's cool how you wrote about being a middle child because a lot of people are also middle children. If you could change your age how old would you be?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Doglover09,
    I can't really relate because I'm a younger sibling, but I thought that you were very descriptive describing how hard it is to be a middle kid. I really like the photos too, they were very pretty and helped show some of the things you were talking about in your post. If you could, would you rather be an older or younger sibling?
    -Teeny Tiny Fury

    ReplyDelete