"Yes."
This is what I hear every time I meet one of my sister's acquaintances. Hearing this so often has made me believe that people expect me to be just like a mini-version of her.
"Did you hear Alyssa's performance? Wasn't it beautiful? Alyssa is so talented, don't you agree?"
" Yes, it was. The best she has ever played. She gets better and better."
I smile and laugh. I agree and nod my head. Alyssa is very talented in many ways and she deserves to be recognized for her talent. However inside my thoughts are running in chaos. "What about me? Did you even listen to me play? What do you think? Was I good enough to be praised?"
At home, when I play the piano. After finishing a piece, hands limp, wrists numb, sweating, instead of hearing "Good job! You play so well!" I hear "Wow, who is playing? Alyssa, is that you?"
Every time I try to shine, my polish gets clouded by the fingerprints of my sister's success. I love Alyssa so much and, yes, she is very smart, talented, outstanding, and much more, but what am I? Am I good enough to be recognized for my own talent, for my own success?
Some days I wish that I could just be known for who I am as an individual and not for just being related to my amazing sister. I love my sister very much and I always look up to her for advice and help of things that my friends or parents can't provide. I am thankful for having someone to look up to, to relate to, to vent and spill my problems or spill "The Tea" to. My sister is my role model, and I can learn from her mistakes and succeed from her success. But, I all I want sometimes is to just be "Xxx" and not "Alyssa's little sister." I want to be recognized as my own being and not just a "thing" related to Alyssa. Even though I am constantly compared to my sister, as we have gotten older, Alyssa and I have become closer.
I have so many fond memories with her. Sitting at the piano, sharing the bench, four hands one piano, playing in unison, creating a melody and harmony floating in the air, echoing in the house. Walking, talking, holding hands, creating a story of old teachers that we disliked, laughing, letting the happiness take over our bodies. Identical smiles on our faces as we hid the candy wrappers, giggling and eyeing each other as our mom walks away after checking on us. We would stay up late into the night, trading funny stories, listening to music onAlyssa's mp3 player, playing hangman, cuddling together fighting off the cold. Being shaken awake early in the morning, sneaking downstairs to make my parents a special Saturday breakfast. Skiing down the runs on Mt.Hood, trying to beat each other to the lift line. As we grew older, we talked less, though whenever we had the rare chance to have a "sleepover" in my sister's room, our conversations started to shift from funny stories to real-life advice. No matter what we talked about, I love spending time with Alyssa. Now, she is already a junior in high school and soon going to be leaving for college. Even though there is still almost two years left, time flies by and before I know it, she will be off to the east coast or even farther.
I love you my sister, my best friend, my role model, my 姐姐, my Alyssa. Thank you for always being there, or helping me, for letting me learn from your mistakes and succeeding from your successes. I hope that in the future we get to spend even more time together, and thank you for everything that you have taught me and for always being there for me.
Big Sister Quotes
Sister Quotes
Some days I wish that I could just be known for who I am as an individual and not for just being related to my amazing sister. I love my sister very much and I always look up to her for advice and help of things that my friends or parents can't provide. I am thankful for having someone to look up to, to relate to, to vent and spill my problems or spill "The Tea" to. My sister is my role model, and I can learn from her mistakes and succeed from her success. But, I all I want sometimes is to just be "Xxx" and not "Alyssa's little sister." I want to be recognized as my own being and not just a "thing" related to Alyssa. Even though I am constantly compared to my sister, as we have gotten older, Alyssa and I have become closer.
I have so many fond memories with her. Sitting at the piano, sharing the bench, four hands one piano, playing in unison, creating a melody and harmony floating in the air, echoing in the house. Walking, talking, holding hands, creating a story of old teachers that we disliked, laughing, letting the happiness take over our bodies. Identical smiles on our faces as we hid the candy wrappers, giggling and eyeing each other as our mom walks away after checking on us. We would stay up late into the night, trading funny stories, listening to music onAlyssa's mp3 player, playing hangman, cuddling together fighting off the cold. Being shaken awake early in the morning, sneaking downstairs to make my parents a special Saturday breakfast. Skiing down the runs on Mt.Hood, trying to beat each other to the lift line. As we grew older, we talked less, though whenever we had the rare chance to have a "sleepover" in my sister's room, our conversations started to shift from funny stories to real-life advice. No matter what we talked about, I love spending time with Alyssa. Now, she is already a junior in high school and soon going to be leaving for college. Even though there is still almost two years left, time flies by and before I know it, she will be off to the east coast or even farther.
I love you my sister, my best friend, my role model, my 姐姐, my Alyssa. Thank you for always being there, or helping me, for letting me learn from your mistakes and succeeding from your successes. I hope that in the future we get to spend even more time together, and thank you for everything that you have taught me and for always being there for me.
Big Sister Quotes
Sister Quotes
Loved many of your descriptions ("my polish gets clouded"). Your bond as sisters will be a treasure as the years roll by. I suspect your special talent will be writing!
ReplyDeleteYou will be richly rewarded for your patience and understanding. As you move through life, the scales will balance, and many many people will think of Alyssa as YOUR sister.
ReplyDeleteDear MM_Z,
ReplyDeleteThis is amazing! The level of detail you put in your writing really shows. I love the way you used such descriptive words ("After finishing a piece, hands limp, wrists numb, sweating") I think that the level of detail and purpose you put in this piece is exceptional. I love how you wove your personal relationships with your sister, in two voices, the good and the bad. All in all, beautifully written!
Great job!
Teeny Tiny Fury (Shorty)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteN.Matthews, Ellen, and Teeny Tiny Fury,
ReplyDeleteThank you. I have really grown to love my sister though we do fight over silly things sometimes, but she is an amazing sister and I couldn't ask for better. :)
Sincerely,
MM_Z
Dear MM_Z,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you give credit to your older sibling right of the bat, that's pretty cool. I also like how you had quotes throughout the blog post. Why do you think you guys get along so well?
Sincerely,
Bozzy
Bozzy,
DeleteThank you! I think that we get along really well because we trust each other a lot. SUre we might fight over something really small and unimportant once in a while, but we can always go to each other and ask for help if we need to. I feel like as sisters, we can give each other advice that no one else can. I know my sister better than her friends and like if there was a problem that was important to my sister, but seemed silly to her friends, she could come to me and I would know that it is important rather than have my sister's friends unintentionally hurt her.
Thanks for reading my blog! :)
MM_Z
MM_Z,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you gave two sides to the story. How you wish you could be seen as your own person, but also how many happy memories you have with your sister. I loved how you described things you did with your sister so well. I could really imagine what was happening. How do you think your relationship with your sister has changed as you get older?
Thanks,
Hufflepuff Pride
MM_Z,
ReplyDeletei loved reading this and it gave me such a deep and meaningful understanding of you and your sisters relationship. do you ever wish you were in alyssa's shoes? being the older sibling?
- bug
Hey bug,
DeleteI do sometimes wish that I was in Alyssa's shoes. Then I wouldn't be seen as the trouble maker and I would also be really smart. My sister is very smart :) but sometimes it's nice being the younger sibling because then my parents think that I'm innocent and then my sister gets the blame. 😁
MM_Z
Hi MM_Z,
DeleteI have an older brother and sister. I hate those moments when your compares to them or people accidentally call you there name. I definitely understand everything your saying. I thought you wrote this very well! Would you rather be an older sibling, middle child, younger sibling, or only child? I really like your intro!
Slinkymuffin
Hi SlinkyMuffin,
DeleteThank you!
Honestly, I'd rather be the Older sibling because I wouldn't have anybody to be compared to and I would be respected and given privileges that maybe the middle or younger siblings might nto get. Because I would be the oldest I would be trusted more too. So overall, I would like to the the oldest, but then there are the cons. Like, having annoying siblings and other things like that.
:)
MM_Z