Swimming has always been a big thing for the both of us. Ashley started swimming when she was 4 years old and swam competitively when she 7 years old until she graduated high school. I started swimming when I was 4 years old and have been swimming competitively since I was 6 years old. My sister's best stroke was breaststroke, and when I was little, I wanted to be just like her. Whenever someone asked me what my best stroke was, I would say breaststroke. Later at one meet, I got my first A Time (State Championship cut) in the 50 meter butterfly, and I decided that my best stroke would be fly. I started focusing and training harder in fly, and two years later, I broke my first Oregon State Record in the 50 yard butterfly. To this day, I have broken 9 Oregon State Records. It hasn't always been easy though. I always have to be self disciplined and determined to win, but there is something else that is extremely vital to my success in the water: my family. My dad, mom, and sister are always there in the stands, cheering me on the entire meet. My parents record every single race, and now they're all saved on a computer at home. They are always packing my swim bag, making my snacks, buying the newest fastest tech suits, and driving me everywhere. I can't explain how grateful I am for all of them.“Sometimes life seems unfair. It always rains the hardest on the people who deserve the sun.” -Unknown
Like most siblings, not everything is easy or fair. Sometimes my sister and I disagree on things which lead to arguments, and sometimes she gets to do things that I can't do yet, and vice versa. Life isn't always fair and doesn't always go your way. In the end, we always get along though. My sister and I are happy together a lot more than we are mad at each other.

My sister graduated from high school in 2015. Before she left for her first year of college, everything went by so quickly. I wasn't ready for her to leave. I felt like I was forlorn because I've never lived without my sister being at home with me every day. The day we said bye to her and left her dorm room, I was only thinking about what to do next. How to live a good life without my sister back at home. It was a rough transition at the beginning, but later I got used to it, and became excited for the days when she would come back home for Thanksgiving, a 5 week winter break, and a long summer vacation. Even though she wasn't physically here with me, she was always with me in spirit. Last year for English class, we had to write a sonnet, and I wrote one about her:
My Awesome Sister
My sister, Ashley, is swell and the best
But she is leaving for New York right now
But she is leaving for New York right now
She’s going to a college, a tough test
I hope she does amazing and says wow
It feels strange seeing only two sweet kins
It is unusual to not see her
I peek in her room, and see empty bins
I crave to go back to how great things were
My family and I’ll not at all stress
It has been almost three years since she left
We are all celebrating her success
She’s doing well and is still very deft
I know I’ll have to wait another year
But when she graduates, we will all cheer Sometimes I think about what it would be like to be her for a day. Would life be easier or harder? More fun or more stressful? Occasionally when I don't know what to do next, I ask myself "What would Ashley do?" and I get through hard times just like that. Being a younger sister is a little stressful when being compared to my older sister, but at the end of the day, we both know that we will be on each other's side, love each other, and laugh together, just like we always do.
Sister's Cheering
Graduates Throwing Caps
Heart

And, little sister, you can ask your big sister, "what would Ashley do?"
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi AwesomePig,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you described what made your sister so special to you. When you did this it almost seemed like I got to know her. I also like how you included more than one main idea, swimming and your big sister, while explaining how they were connected. Does your sister still swim professionally? Overall, I really enjoyed reading your post!
-Snowleopard
Hi Snow Leopard,
DeleteThanks for reading my post! My sister doesn't swim anymore. She stopped swimming once she graduated high school.
Thanks,
AwesomePig
Hi AwesomePig,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your blog post. It was such a well-written post and it had a lot of imagery about your relationship with Ashley. I loved that you talked about the things you have in common and how strong your relationship with your sister is even with the age gap. I love how you interwove swimming and your sister and connected them so we could better understand you and your relationship with your sister. Have you adjusted to life without your sister yet?
-Teeny Tiny Fury
Hi Teeny Tiny Fury,
DeleteThanks for reading my post! Yes, I have adjusted to life without my sister. It was hard for the first couple months, but now I'm used to it. I still get super excited when she comes home though!
Thanks,
AwesomePig
Dear AwesomePig,
ReplyDeleteI think that you did a really great job explaining how close you and your sister are. Your blog post illustrates the similarities between y'all and I think that your connection from the way that you describe it is awesome and actually quite intriguing. It is really amazing that you are so much younger than her but you two are still so close. You connected your personal life and achievements to your family and I think it is really sweet that you wrote a sonnet about her. I was also wondering which records you have broken and has your sister broken any. Also, is there somewhere that you inherit your swimming skills from (such as a parent)? This is a really nice blog post. Good job!
Cordially,
ABellPepper
Hi ABellPepper,
DeleteThanks for reading my post! I've broken records in the 50 and 100 yards and meter butterfly (then kept beating my best time), and the 50 meter backstroke. My parents were not swimmers. It was just me and my sister.
Thanks,
AwesomePig
Dear AwesomePig,
ReplyDeleteI really like your poem about your sister Ashley and the fact that there even was a poem. From your perspective, what do you think it would be like to be the role model?
Sincerely,
Bozzy
Hi Bozzy,
DeleteThanks for reading my post! Wow. That's a really good question. I would feel a lot of responsibility and care on my shoulders! My sister was a great role model to me because she was always there for me and was always making great achievements, so it would be pretty hard to do what she did for me.
Thanks,
AwesomePig
Hi AwesomePig,
ReplyDeleteI loved your poem, it added another great part to your writing that gave us an even better feel for your sister Ashley. I love the connection you have to your sister, it is defiantly something special. I also really liked how you contradicted a general statement that being a younger sibling is a bad thing. I'm a younger sibling as well, and don' think it is a bad thing. Have you ever though about being an older sibling? What do you think that would be like?
smiles,
crunchy lettuce
Hi crunchy lettuce,
DeleteThanks for reading my post! Sometimes I actually do think about being an older sibling! I think it would put a lot of responsibility on my shoulders, and I would always have to be looking out for my younger sibling. I don't do that too much because my older sister is capable of doing and helping me with a lot of things I can't do yet, so it would be pretty hard to be a role model like she was.
Thanks,
AwesomePig
Dear AwesomePig,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you included the poem in your post. It really showed how much you love your sister and how you miss her as well. The part about swimming was really amazing! I like how you talked about your favorite stoke vs your favorite stroke and how you wanted to be just like her. Does your sister still swim?
-Hufflepuff Pride
Hi Hufflepuff Pride,
DeleteThanks for reading my post! My sister does not swim anymore. She stopped swimming after she graduated from high school.
Thanks,
AwesomePig
Dear AwesomePig,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post! I have three younger sisters, and being one of the younger ones sounds fun from your point of view. If you could, would you want to be the older sister? Overall, your post was really well written, and I really enjoyed reading it.
Sincerely,
SummerSpring612
Hi SummerSpring612,
DeleteThanks for reading my post! I don't think I would want to be the older sister because it would put a lot of responsibility and care on my shoulders. I could be an older sister, but I think I'll enjoy being a younger sister more because I get to look up to someone and follow them.
Thanks,
AwesomePig
hi awesomepig,
ReplyDeletei really enjoyed reading this post, especially the poem at the end. i have a sister who is 10 years older than me, so this was also fun to read because i could definitely relate. what are some ways life with your sister in college has affected your day to day life?
- bug
Hi bug,
DeleteThanks for reading my post! My sister was always at home doing her homework when I got back from swim practice everyday, but after she left for college, I never get to see her doing homework in the homework room. I've gotten used to it now though, and I still look forward to the times when she comes back home!
Thanks,
AwesomePig
hey awesomepig,
ReplyDeleteI also have a sister and it can be hard to shine when I have my sister constanting doing amazing things. Congradulations with breaking 9 state records! One day you will break world records :)
What got you into swimming?
MM_Z
Hi MM_Z,
DeleteThanks for reading my post! Swimming is essential to life because you'll need to know how to swim to be able to do a lot things, and also since my sister was already swimming before me, my parents had me do swimming too. After I took lessons and stuff, I was so into swimming that I soon became a competitive swimmer. Thanks for believing in me!
Thanks,
AwesomePig
What’s up awesome pig,
ReplyDeleteI also have a older sister. My sister is always impressing people and then I am here the little kid like ugh again! I love the photo of you as a young girl. I think this was very well written. Are you ever glad to have your sister at college? Is it hard having her gone? What is some tips to people who will have siblings going off to college? Congratulations on your success in swimming!
Slinkymuffin