Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Life on a Vineyard


In this blog post you will be reading about life on the vineyard, my older siblings, and life with my dogs. The vineyard is called Apolloni Vineyards, and it’s it’s in the Willamette Valley in Forest Grove, Oregon. My dogs are Samson, 11, a black Lab mix, and Etch, 18 months, a black doberman pinscher with brownish-red patches on his chest and temples. With my older siblings gone at college, my dogs help keep me company when I get lonely.

It’s quiet on the vineyard because it’s large piece of land, and neighbors are somewhat far away. When you’re working on a vineyard, everyone needs to chip in, or the work does not get done. I have multiple jobs. One job is to pick out leaves on the conveyor belt assembly line. The leaves then go into a bin for compost. The worst part about being on the assembly line is that my hands get wet and cold, and I sometimes get stung by a wasp or two. The best part is getting to eat the grapes, even if they are bad! I also like punch-downs because we get to use a humongous plunger to smash the grapes until a foamy layer forms on top. I also help my mom make food for the workers and for people who come for tours. My mom is also in charge of the tasting room. My Dad does the most on the vineyard. He is in charge of all the wine-related processes, like the fermentering bins, the types of barrels used for each type of wine and how many times they have been used. He also manages the workers. There is a cave where we put barrels, drums, tanks, and kegs. We go in there to check on stuff every month or so and top them off. On the vineyard we work 7 days a week, early in morning for picking (in the fall) when it’s hot outside. This is what life on a vineyard is like.

My older siblings, Laura and Adolfo are away at college, so that changes the way the house and the vineyard feels. Being an only child at home for the past year has been weird because I’m used to being with people all the time. My sister is at Santa Clara University in California, and my brother is at University of Michigan. At home, it’s lonely, and I do more work on the vineyard to make up for my siblings being away. It’s also a lot more stressful because I’m the only here to do chores and I have more responsibilities now. This is how my life has changed now that my older siblings are both away at college.
Dogs are a big part of life on the vineyard, and they help me feel less lonely when i miss my brother and sister. Samson is a Black Labrador mix. He is a big snuggle buddy on the couch or on the bed. He seems like an “emotional support dog” for me. Etch is a Doberman. He is very crazy and loves to run, which is a good thing because he’s on a farm. These dogs are a big part of my life on the vineyard from being snuggle buddies to working dogs.

Living on a vineyard is not just fun and games. We have to do hard work to get the final product, wine. Not having siblings around all the time can be both disappointing when I feel overwhelmed with chores, or a blessing when I need the quiet and calm. Dogs are super fun, but they can also be a challenge because we need to train them. Telling them to stay at the house even if I want them there with me can sometimes an be hard to do. There are pros and cons to living on a vineyard, but doing it with my family makes it all worthwhile.

13 comments:

  1. hi leftysdad,
    i really enjoyed reading your blog post. you included some really nice photos that made it interesting to view. I liked your topic a lot because it gave me a new perspective on what that kind of life would be like. You also didn't just go on blabbering about random things, you really stuck to your topic and kept your writing fun. you also brought in emotion which made it more relatable. do the pros out rule the cons? or would you rather not live on a vineyard? again, great post!
    thanks,
    liv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment about the quality of the writing. Well... Living on a vineyard can be fun at times but also annoying and frustrating because you don't get to do as much socializing with your friends.

      -mr.samsonRA (leftysdad)

      Delete
  2. Hi leftysdad,
    I don't know many people who live on a vineyard, but reading your post, I now understand that there is definitely work involved. I like the pictures you included, especially the leaf! Having a lot of land and space sounds nice, but also a lot of work. Is it hard to include homework and extracurricular activities while also doing work on the vineyard?
    Great job!
    -Owl Feather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! It really depends on what extracurricular activities you want to do. I do choir and horse back riding. Like choir is a little harder for me to do because I live so far away from where I practice, but easier to get from school; and horse back riding is really close to my house so I can do it a lot more if I want to. But even though I live on a vineyard doesn't mean I don't have life outside of that.

      -mr.samsonRA (leftysdad)

      Delete
  3. Hi leftysdad,
    I really liked how you said what you were going to be talking about at the beginning of the blog. Your blog really showed me how much work you and your family must put into this vineyard. If you had a choice would you choose to live on a vineyard? Also is it hard fitting in the vineyard with homework and other activities you might have going on?

    -horses11

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great comment! It really depends on what extracurricular activities you want to do. I do choir and horse back riding. Like choir is a little harder for me to do because I live so far away from where I practice, but easier to get from school; and horse back riding is really close to my house so I can do it a lot more if I want to. But even though I live on a vineyard doesn't mean I don't have life outside of that. If I had a choice I would live closer to world I would like to be in, friends, and school.

      -mr.samsonRA (leftysdad)

      Delete
  4. dear leftysdad,
    I really enjoyed your blog! it was interesting to read and I always wanted to know more. what are some of the disadvantages to living on the vineyard? would you choose to live somewhere else like maybe in a city?

    -Bristol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment! The major disadvatige of living on a vineyard is mostly, the work because you neeed to get stuff done and not just twiddle your thumbs. If I had a choice I would live closer to world I would like to be in, friends, and school but I would still live on a vineyard.

    -mr.samsonRA (leftysdad)

    ReplyDelete
  6. leftysdad,
    Thank you for writing this blog post. Living on a vineyard really seems to be a lot of hard work. I think that there are a lot of life skills that you can learned from living and working in a vineyard.
    DO you sometimes wish that you didn't live on a vineyard? if you have then why?

    MM_Z

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi leftysdad,
    living on vineyard seems like a lot of fun but a lot of hard work. What's you favorite part?
    -gracie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi mr. samsonRA,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post because it gave me a taste of what living on a vineyard would be like. I thought your blog subject was very interesting and I thought your blog was very well-written and easy and fun to read. I also loved the pictures especially the one of your dog. How long have you, or your family, lived on the vineyard?
    -Teeny Tiny Fury

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Leftysdad/ mr. samsonRA,
    I loved reading about your life on a vineyard. It seems pretty hard. Do you want to have your own vineyard? I love your ending, it really wraps it up. I agree with Teeny Tiny Fury this was very fun to read. What’s your favorite part of your vineyard? Your least?
    Slinkymuffin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi leftysdad,
    Living on a vineyard must be pretty hard, but i like how you wrote about it! what is you most and least favorite part?

    ReplyDelete