Life Of An Amerikish (American and Turkish)
First of all, I want to clear up some stuff. No, making jokes about eating turkey in Turkey. It’s getting really old. Please don’t even try.
As a kid who grew up with only two (three when my sister was born) people living with you within a radius of more than 4,000 miles, I wasn’t exactly being exposed to the culture or language of Turkey. My mom and dad were both born in Turkey, I was born right next door to Catlin at St Vincent Hospital. I don’t really remember or know how, but I just learned English and Turkish about at the same time.
At the time, my dad and mom were 20 years old. My dad went to graduate school and so did my mom. Back then, my dads and moms families did not make a crazy amount of money. Both of them came straight from Turkey to the USA for college and did not have a place to live. They both had to get full scholarships so they could study and live in the USA. In college, my dad and mom were lucky enough to meet each other and got married. My dad decided that he wanted to work at Intel and studies and designs future cpu’s, and so he moved to Portland. My mom got a job at Pacific Foods and later on (like 8 years) got a job at Tillamook Dairy Factory.
I was later born on July 5, 2006, at St. Vincents. When I was about three, my sister was born on May 13, 2009. At first, I didn’t really understand how far away my cousins and grandparents lived, so I didn’t usually recognize them. When I started growing up and learned how to speak pretty well for a kindergartener though, I started face timing them. I had always gone to Turkey to visit my grandparents and they had always come to visit us, too. Once I had really started to interact with them, we would always play card games and do math together.
My grandma and grandpa both are math teachers, and luckily for me, numbers and operations in Turkish are the same in English. My grandma already knows a little bit of English, but my grandpa has a very hard time. We can all easily communicate even if it means it is harder for me to talk Turkish.
I started to have lots of connections with the people around me. We had lots of Turkish families that we had to know for a while. The closest one was the Kaval Family. They had two kids who were at the time (2015) 5 and 4 years old. We would go to their house and they would come to ours like every two weeks. Every year all of the close Turkish families would have a new year, Thanksgiving, or special occasion parties at someone's house (50 percent of the time it would be at ours). Now just this Thanksgiving, I had my first real turkey Thanksgiving dinner WITH the Ozlam family!
Speaking of food, I love it! Sunflower seeds are very popular in Turkey. I don’t know this is hard to believe, but I actually had to stop eating snacks because I was getting overweight from SUNFLOWER SEEDS! I love them! I also really like food called shakshuka. It is a mix of tomato-y sauce, eggplant, and potatoes. It is delicious! I think that food makes a difference between turkey and the USA for me.
So yeah, my life is not exactly a super rollercoaster ride. I thought that this might be a good thing to write about because of the different culture. If you enjoyed please consider leaving a comment, and if you didn’t, please also consider leaving a comment. Thank you!
First of all, I want to clear up some stuff. No, making jokes about eating turkey in Turkey. It’s getting really old. Please don’t even try.
As a kid who grew up with only two (three when my sister was born) people living with you within a radius of more than 4,000 miles, I wasn’t exactly being exposed to the culture or language of Turkey. My mom and dad were both born in Turkey, I was born right next door to Catlin at St Vincent Hospital. I don’t really remember or know how, but I just learned English and Turkish about at the same time.
![]() |
| Me, Dad, Mom, and Sister |
I was later born on July 5, 2006, at St. Vincents. When I was about three, my sister was born on May 13, 2009. At first, I didn’t really understand how far away my cousins and grandparents lived, so I didn’t usually recognize them. When I started growing up and learned how to speak pretty well for a kindergartener though, I started face timing them. I had always gone to Turkey to visit my grandparents and they had always come to visit us, too. Once I had really started to interact with them, we would always play card games and do math together.
![]() |
| My sister, dad, and Grandparents |
I started to have lots of connections with the people around me. We had lots of Turkish families that we had to know for a while. The closest one was the Kaval Family. They had two kids who were at the time (2015) 5 and 4 years old. We would go to their house and they would come to ours like every two weeks. Every year all of the close Turkish families would have a new year, Thanksgiving, or special occasion parties at someone's house (50 percent of the time it would be at ours). Now just this Thanksgiving, I had my first real turkey Thanksgiving dinner WITH the Ozlam family!
Speaking of food, I love it! Sunflower seeds are very popular in Turkey. I don’t know this is hard to believe, but I actually had to stop eating snacks because I was getting overweight from SUNFLOWER SEEDS! I love them! I also really like food called shakshuka. It is a mix of tomato-y sauce, eggplant, and potatoes. It is delicious! I think that food makes a difference between turkey and the USA for me.
So yeah, my life is not exactly a super rollercoaster ride. I thought that this might be a good thing to write about because of the different culture. If you enjoyed please consider leaving a comment, and if you didn’t, please also consider leaving a comment. Thank you!


Dear TTV.fufa,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading about the differences between Turkish and American culture especially the difference in foods. I also hadn't realized that there were so few Turkish families in your community. What's your favorite thing to do when you visit Turkey?
-Teeny Tiny Fury
Dear Teeny Tiny Fury,
DeleteI am really happy to hear that this made a difference. I have to say that My favorite thing to do in Turkey is to eat Media. No! Not that type! In Turkish muscles (the food) is called Media (mee-dei-eh). Why does every thing have to be spelled the same?!
peace!
-Fufa
Dear TTV.fufa,
ReplyDeletegreat job! I liked how this post could really reach out to many people about living with a family that speaks different languages, as someone who speaks also speaks another language, sometimes I used to have a bit of trouble with my english skills, has Turkish ever gotten in the way of your skills revolving around english work?
Hello Bananabunny!
DeleteMost of the time, no. One time though, I was coming back from Turkey during the summer and I went to Olive Garden to eat dinner. When I was ordering my food, I accidentally said "May I have some spaghetti?" in Turkish! The waiter was so confused!
Thanks!
-Fufa
Dear TTV.fufa,
ReplyDeleteI loved how you described how your parents moved to American and how there life was different here than Turkey. What do you think is the difference between Turkey and America?
-Blue shirt guy
dear TTV.fufa,
ReplyDeleteI liked how much you talked about food near the end, cause I myself love it. sunflower seeds are amazing, I can relate. your photos were very interesting and your writing gave me new perspective. thanks for splitting up your writing into paragraphs, it made the post easier to follow. what is your favorite difference between turkey and the US? what language do you prefer to speak?
thanks,
liv
Dear TTV.fufa,
ReplyDeleteI thought that was super cool to read and it was well written and smooth. Sunflower seeds are good so I totally understand. I mean, how could you not love snacks? Do you like knowing two languages?
Really good job!
-PortugueseGrape
P.S. I'll be sure to check you out on twitch!
I think that knowing two languages is fine, even though it's sometimes hard to speak Turkish with my family.
DeleteSnacks are cool,
-Fufa
P.S. My twitch username is Shrewdyshuk if you wanna check me out. ;)
TTV.fufa,
ReplyDeleteYour beginning is really good. Does your whole family know two languages? DO you speak turkish at home? I also like your ending. You did a good job with writing this!
elephantsandslothsarecool
TTV.fufa,
ReplyDeleteIt was really well written and and had a nice flow to it. I love how you talked a little bit about what foods were popular in Turkey. How many languages do you speak?
MM_Z
TTV.fufa,
ReplyDeleteGreat job! I really liked how you talked about all the diffrent foods in Turkey and how much it means to you and your family. Why is shakshuka and sun flower seeds so important to Turkish culture?
mr.samsonRA
hi TTV.fufa,
ReplyDeletei really liked reading this because it flowed really well and was well written. I also liked how you really talked about the culture of Turkey. Do you ever go back to Turkey?
-gracie :)
I usually go back to turkey every other summer or so.
DeleteSeeyah
-Fufa
Dear TTV.fufa,
ReplyDeleteI think that it is really amazing how you wrote about something so personal. Also i love sunflower seeds as well, there so good=)! So my question is, have you ever gone back to turkey