Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Learning to Love Golf

Yep, I play golf, and nope, I am not an old guy, and I definitely do not own plaid pants. When I started playing golf in fourth grade I had no idea how much it would change my life. I have found that it has helped me become more balanced in my sports and academic life. Soccer was starting to get more competitive, and school was starting to get more challenging. I really needed something fun, and not so serious, so that is when my dad suggested that I should try playing golf. I was very skeptical of the idea at first because I did not know very much about the sport, but once I started playing it a lot, and became more comfortable with it, I started liking it more and more.

I have learned that golf is just as much a mental game as it is a physical, if not more. Playing golf is like being on a rollercoaster. One second you’re bounding with joy, and the next you’re about ready to throw your golf club across the lake. That's what makes golf such a mental sport, because it is important to have the ability to forget a bad shot and move on to the next, or “flush it” as my dad says, because if you dig to far down into the hole of negativity, it is almost impossible  to climb out.

One of the things I love about golf is that my whole family plays, or at least engages in it. It is the perfect family activity because you can play golf no matter what age you are. Also, if you are visiting a new place, you can always explore the golf courses nearby because that's the beauty of golf, no golf course is the same!

From when golf was invented to now, there have been many advances in golf technology, including the invention of the golf tee. It started out that instead of using tees (because they had not been invented yet) golfers used mounds of sand to tee up the ball. This became a huge mess because people started using the sand from the bunkers so there was no more sand left! That is when Percy Ellis created the first prototype of the golf tee in 1892. This lead to Mathews' invention of the “Victor Tee” in 1897, and then to Dr. George Grant's invention of the first tee including a spike in 1899. The tee that was the first sold to the public was the Reddy Tee, invented in 1922 by William Lowell. The tee was the closest, of the four types, that looked like that modern tee today.


Even though I was doubted golf when I started, I still stuck with it and it has been one of the best things I have done in my life. I hope this is a good life lesson that even though something does not seem fun or interesting it can always catch you by surprise!

Credits:




22 comments:

  1. Hi Hamilton9,
    This was a great piece. I love your opening line. How often do you golf? I know some say golf isn’t a sport but in this piece you give clear points on how this is a sport. The part about the mental part of the game is very true in many sports.
    -FoxelephantVioleta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FoxelephantVioleta,
      I only golf once a week because of soccer practices and homework. Eventually I would love to golf more often, especially with my family.
      Thanks,
      Hamilton9

      Delete
    2. Hi Hamilton9,
      Does your family golf often? Do you think you would want to compete?(if you haven't already. I really liked reading this. It had nice facts, and was also funny.
      elephantsandslothsarecool

      Delete
  2. Hey Hamilton9,
    I really enjoyed reading that post! It gives me a unique view and I loved the part where you specify that you are not an old man with plaid pants! Do you ever want to join a golf team and do you see yourself playing golf professionally?
    good job!
    tinyelephant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi tinyelephant,
      I actually joined a golf team last year during the summer, but right now I am not currently playing on a team. Professional golf is a long ways away, so I am just going to focus on having fun with golf now!
      thanks,
      Hamilton9

      Delete
  3. Hi Hamilton9,
    I really like your post! You did a great job of turning a topic that you really care about into a funny and interesting essay. What is an example of something that would make you want to throw your club into the lake? :)
    -Luna Tuna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luna Tuna,
      There are many examples in golf when you want to throw your club in the lake. I think that if I almost made a putt but it just nearly came up short to the hole, I would be pretty mad.
      thanks,
      Hamilton9

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hamilton9,
    awesome, i liked how you were not afraid to talk about how you like golf, when it has so many different opinions. (thanks for making it funny too) what got you really interested in golf and when?
    Bananabunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Bananabunny,
      My dad was the one that suggested I try golf, and that kind of started my interest. I started playing golf between the summer of 4th and 5th grade.
      Thanks,
      Hamilton9

      Delete
  6. Hi Hamilton9,
    I loved your post! The first few sentences when you talked about old guys and plaid pants made me laugh. I can imagine someone like that playing golf! :)
    What got your family interested in golf?

    -Owl Feather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo Hamilton9,
    I love how you blog was written and how you chose to aproach this topic. I thought the humor in your blog was exellent. I agree that it is important to stick with things cause they could turn out to be great. After reading your blog I was wondering, what is another example of when you stuck with something in your life?
    Chao
    PinkPanther

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Hamilton9,
    I like how you wrote about one your hobbies, which has not bean done much on this blog. Why did you decide to write about golf.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Hamilton9,
    This was a really interesting topic, and I really liked it along with your writing. I thought your writing is really good and I learned a lot from it. I have never played real golf but now I really want to try it! What other sports do you play?
    Good job!
    -PortugueseGrape

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Hamilton9,
    I love how you talked about how golf is also a mental sport, because I've always just thought about it as a physical sport. I also loved your start, it really make me laugh. Have you ever considered playing for a golf team?
    Good job!
    -DogLover09

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hamilton9,
    It was interesting how there were different tees. I used to play golf, but I never knew that. Well written and informational. Do you play other sports?

    MM_Z

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Hamilton9,
    The was an article full of facts and experiences. It was really cool to see that people are trying many different sports and not just soccer and basketball. Are there golf club teams?
    -Soccer is Life

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hamilton9,
    I really enjoyed reading your post and liked how you stood up for what you like to do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi hamilton9,
    i liked how you wrote about something you are passionate about, and it really shone through! i liked how you wrote this and the pictures made reading it very exciting. How long have you played golf?
    -gracie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Hamilton9,
    I really enjoyed the first line about plaid pants (nice hook!) I really enjoyed reading your post because you included a lot of interesting facts about golf. It really showed how passionate you are about golf through your writing and it was all in all really fun to read. Do you ever think you'll play golf competitively?
    -Teeny Tiny Fury :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Hamilton9,
    I really liked how you started your peice with humor, it really drew me in. I also like how you explained your journey in golf and how it affected you. You had a structure and I really enjoyed reading this piece. How long do you think you will continue the sport? Do you recommend golf to others? Good job!
    Smiles,
    Cappuccino

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Hamilton9,
    I really like how you started your post (which was really intriguing) and I also like how you stated some of the stereotypes of being a golfer. It had a nice flow, and I could get what you were trying to bring across. What is your favorite part of golf? Also, you sound very enthusiastic and passionate about playing- would you choose golf as a future career of some sort?
    Awesome writing!
    RisingSun13

    ReplyDelete