Monday, February 4, 2019

How Taekwondo Affects School


Image result for catlin gabel schoolTaekwondo and school are both big parts of my life. Both make me who I am and affect how I act and what I do. If I am having a bad day at school I will go to taekwondo to calm down and focus. If taekwondo is particularly hard one day then school will be a bit of a relief. There are many ways that school and taekwondo affect each other. Homework is the most obvious example. When I have a lot of homework at night, I will have to skip taekwondo. If I have to go to taekwondo to prepare for a competition, I will have to either email my teachers to ask for an extension or stay up late trying to finish. Staying up late makes me more tired at school so I get less done causing more homework for me at night and the endless cycle begins. To break this cycle I would have to skip taekwondo, therefore decreasing my chance of doing well in a competition.

Taekwondo competitions are a whole other story when it comes to school. They are on the weekends which makes them big homework conflicts. Thankfully, they normally only take one day out of the weekend but it’s still a lot of wasted time. The taekwondo is not the boring part. The boring part is all of the waiting. My most recent competition was on February 3rd and it was the Oregon state championship and national qualifier. My group was scheduled to compete at 1:00pm along with three other events. There were only three rings in the whole place so everything took longer because there was limited space. I arrived at 12:00pm, as instructed, and proceeded to warm up. At 1:00pm I went into the staging area but my division hadn’t been called yet. I watched my friends compete, and cheered them on, but I still wasn’t called. At 3:30pm we were finally called to start competing. I went 2nd. In total, I spent 5 1⁄2 hours at the competition. I was competing for only 3 minutes of that time. Of course I had fun watching my teammates, but I also wasted over 5 hours that I could have been doing homework.
Image result for taekwondo world championships 2018 taipei
Taekwondo affects school as much as vice versa and not only because of the homework. Taekwondo changes how I’m viewed at school. When someone asks me what sports I do, I usually
answer, “Taekwondo and soccer.” Most of the time, the kid who wanted to know proceeds by trying to talk to me about soccer. I think this happens because most kids either play soccer or
watch it and therefore find it a comfortable talking point. If I had just said taekwondo then the kid probably would have said “Cool,” and moved on to another topic. This is because a lot of people don’t know what taekwondo is and find it weird and foreign. If I just said that I played soccer then I would be viewed as “normal.” Since I have decided to respond with both of my hobbies, some kids will inevitably think of me as “the girl who does taekwondo” if they don’t know me very well.

I love taekwondo so I don’t care what it does to my life in school. It will always be a part of who I am even if I don’t do it as much in the future. It will be a fond memory for me and I will look back on how much I enjoyed it.

Example of one of my taekwondo competitions: https://youtu.be/RZGjS-7ppLw 
Photo credit for 1st pic
Photo credit for 2nd pic

21 comments:

  1. Dear Luna Tuna,
    I think that it was a great idea to talk about how sports can affect school life, and vice versa. I really like how your narrative voice shines through, and how the conclusion really sums up your love for Tae Kwon Do. Do you think your still going to do Tae Kwon Do in high school or college? All in all, it was an amazing piece of writing that was very detailed and descriptive.

    Amazing job!
    Teeny Tiny Fury :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teeny Tiny Fury,
      Thank you! I am planning on continuing taekwondo in high school, but I'm not sure how is might work into my schedule in college. I know you did taekwondo in the past. Did you agree with my statements?
      Smiles,
      Luna Tuna

      Delete
    2. I did. And I do. I think it's great how you are going to pursue Tae Kwon Do in high school. Also, is master Ha's hair really orange? I hope you continue to enjoy Tae Kwon Do for a long time, and that you can find a balance between it and school.
      :)Teeny Tiny Fury

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Luna Tuna,
    I agree with everything teeny tiny fury said. This was a cool idea for something to write about. The second paragraph rings true to a lot of things I have gone through. A lot of times people say that sports only affect school but that’s not true sports are really important and school makes it hard to do it. How long have you done Tae Kwon Do? How did you start Tae Kwon Do/ what gave you the idea? This was really good and I enjoyed reading it!
    FoxelephantVioleta :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FoxelephantVioleta,
      Thank you! To answer your questions, I have done taekwondo for about 8 years and I started it when one of my friends introduced me to it. Do you experience anything that I talked about in any sports or activities that you do?
      Smiles,
      Luna Tuna

      Delete
  4. Hi Luna Tuna,
    You did an amazing job writing this piece. I felt like this was about something very near and dear to you heart. I really liked your whole piece especially when you talked about people's reactions when you told them the sports you did. I was wondering if Tae Kwon Do and school have always effected each other like this? What inspires you to keep doing Tae Kwon Do?
    Thanks,
    Frappuccino

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frappuccino,
      Thank you! (I know I start all my author replies off like this, but I mean it every time!) Taekwondo and school have always affected each other, but it has gotten more noticeable in middle school because I have more work to do. I get inspired to keep doing taekwondo because it's really fun and it's a good way to just focus on one thing instead of multitasking which is what I do a lot of the time at school and at home. Do you do any sports?
      Smiles,
      Luna Tuna

      Delete
  5. Hey Luna Tuna,
    This was a great example of how after school activities affects school. I felt really relatable to this topic except that instead of doing Tae Kwon Do, I do soccer. I don't really feel normal by playing soccer, I feel special. It amazed me how you juggle between competitions and homework. Would you rather do homework or go to your competitions?
    -Soccer is Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Soccer Is Life,
      Thank you! I have played soccer too and I know what you mean. I would definitely rather compete than do homework, but it's still a bit of a waste of time. Would you rather do homework or play soccer?
      Smiles,
      Luna Tuna

      Delete
  6. Dear Luna Tuna,
    This was an interesting topic to write about mostly because not that many people take Tae-Kwon-Do. I play soccer and when you're doing something that you love, you don't want to stop. How do you stay engaged for 5 1/2 hours?

    Sincerely,
    Bozzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bozzy,
      Thank you! I stay engaged by just stretching out and warming up. Also, the adrenaline keeps me ready and focused. Do you ever end a soccer game wanting more time to play?
      Smiles,
      Luna Tuna

      Delete
  7. Hi Luna Tuna,
    I really enjoyed reading your piece, you did a really good job conveying what taekwondo means to you. Doing a sport takes up a lot of time, and I was wondering what taekwondo consists of. You seem to be really committed, but who do you stay on top of your work(when you are on top of it)? Good job!
    Smiles,
    Cappuccino

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cappuccino,
      Thank you! Taekwondo consists mostly of self defense. We learn what to do it we are attacked, but it is also an art form. For competitions we perform series of movements called a poomsae which means form in Korean. Then we are judged on both presentation and accuracy which contributes to our final score. I stay on top of my work by trying to get it done efficiently. (Which works sometimes.) I also just keep working until it is done so that I don't have to work about cramming it in right before the class it is due. Do you have any good strategies for staying on top of work?
      Smiles,
      Luna Tuna

      Delete
  8. Hey Luna Tuna,
    I have never done 태권도 (tae-kwon-do) before. It seems very hard to mster and to get to a black belt takes years of training and practice.
    What got you into 태권도?

    MM_Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM_Z,
      I started taekwondo because one of my friends introduced it to me. Do you do any sports?
      Smiles,
      Luna Tuna

      Delete
  9. hi luna tuna,
    I really enjoyed reading this blog post because I did taekwondo in first grade so it was interesting to read about someone who has continued to invest in the activity. how do you think your skills have evolved over the years?
    - bug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi bug,
      Thank you! As I progressed everything got more precise and accurate, and I also learned more techniques. How did your taekwondo experience compare to mine? Did you experience the same things?
      Smiles,
      Luna Tuna

      Delete
  10. Dear Luna Tuna,
    I loved reading your post! Good Job! I was wondering, if you didn't invest your time in taekwondo, what sport would you be doing? Once again, Great Job!

    Sincerely,
    SummerSpring612

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi SummerSpring612,
    Thank you! Most likely I would play soccer because I already play soccer and I would have more time to pursue it if I wasn't doing taekwondo. Is there a sport that you do where you experience the same things as I have discussed?
    Smiles,
    Luna Tuna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Luna Tuna,
    I lobed reading you post! It was really informative. how does taekwondo affect other sports you play?
    Love,
    Snow Flack

    ReplyDelete