To be told that my pain is not validated that my hurt is fake because, I don't try hard enough. That I don't do anything, because I'm a musician, and that's what musicians do. Musicians also practice 4 hours a day, wake up at 5 am, and get arthritis when they are 12 years old, because being a musician isn't just a hobby, it's a full-time job. It takes up your whole life. We go to practices like an athlete does, we go to concerts like an athlete goes to games, and we train like an athlete does, but yet, we are not treated as one. We are treated as though we are weak, lazy, as if our hard work doesn’t amount to anything. Because although we work and practice the same or even more than athletes, there is still a large bias against committed musicians. I asked Lizbeth Carreno and Shin Young Kwon, violinists from the Oregon Symphony, and they said that many people don’t believe that being a full-time musician is an actual job. They also think that every time you pick up your instrument, you feel immense happiness. While it is very rewarding in the end, to get there you have to go through a lot. Practice long hours, sometimes on a single measure. You will get hurt a lot; your fingers usually are riddled with calluses and turn black from the combination of the fingerboard and sweat. There is also the daunting fear that something will happen to your wrist or fingers that could end your career. As for me, I am also a committed violinist. I attended Interlochen, an intense arts academy in Michigan this past summer, and I plan to apply to high school there. During last season, as I was preparing for the many auditions it took, I started to feel tingling in my fingers which then spread to my wrist and eventually to my whole arm, which was from the long hours and stress of the upcoming auditions and competitions.
I was not able to play as long, or as much as I would’ve liked, and every morning and night I slathered my arm with muscle relevant gel, in hopes that it would slow the process that might one day prevent me from pursuing something that I love. During that time of uncertainty, I felt like I didn’t have anyone but my teacher, Shin Young Kwon, who understood. I was scared, and my parents pushed and pushed me to keep practicing, even if I was hurting. My teachers didn’t care, or in some cases pushed me even harder, in classes like PE, I was constantly being compared to my brothers, who are division 1 tennis players. I feel as though if my peers and people close to me hadn’t of labeled me, and supported me more, I would have gotten through this time more successfully, and come out as a better violinist and overall person.
Dear Mr Lucy,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I love your blog post title! Second of all, I love the way you wrote your blog post in a sort of poetic prose style. Your style of writing really suited the overall message you were sharing. What's the best part of playing violin?
-Teeny Tiny Fury
hi Teeny Tiny Fury,
Deletefor me it's just being able to get really into the music and knowing the story behind and that really changes everything. Is there something you are passionate about?
-gracie :)
Bravo Mr Lucy,
ReplyDeleteI loved the way you approached this topic in your blog. I really thought it was cool how yo talked about adjusting to your shoulder pains and how that effected you playing. I love your title and I feel like it really refelcts your post. I can tell that you are very determind and persistent to get too your goals. Congragulations on going to Interlochen. This is an amazing post, a story of persistence. After reading you post, I was wondering If you could give a person one tip on how to get to where you want to be, what would it be?
Yeehaw
PinkPather
hi pinkpanther4567,
Deletethank you so much! i really appreciate that, and i would say that setting a goal for yourself is really important, for me, i track how much i practice each day, and take the average every month, and i always set a goal for how much i want to practice and that really helps. what do you think?
-gracie <3
Dear Mr Lucy,
ReplyDeleteI love that you talked about something you loved, because it put a lot more passion into the post. when did you really realize that violin was the activity to you, and what made you think that you would be more successful in that than tennis?
Bananabunny
hi bananabunny,
Deletethank you! i think i stopped playing tennis after i got back from interlochen, and whenever i would train my heart wouldn't be fully in it, and i kept missing practices because i would go to competitions and camps and stuff, so it was really hard to continue both. After i stopped playing tennis thats when i got really serious about violin. when did you become serious about skiing?
-gracie :)
Hi gracie,
ReplyDeleteWow! I have never thought about how hard musicians must work and this post says it all. It must've been so scary to you to think that maybe your passion would be taken away from you because you got hurt and have no one to sympathize for you. Are there times when you want to give violin up?
-tinyelephant
hi tiny elephant,
Deletethanks! to be honest, it was really scary, even this week i haven't been able to practice for 3 days because when i woke up i wasn't able to move my fingers without pain. I have definitely felt that i wanted to give it up, but that was more when i was younger, but recently i have also felt that way just because ive put so much of my life into this and it might all collapse in on me. Have you ever felt this way about anything?
-gracie <3
Hello gracie,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog! I liked how you told everybody different stories about how hard playing an instrument is, because I think that most people think of it as a hobby instead of a passion, and that it's just something to pass the time so you don't get bored. Do you ever get really think about giving up playing the violin?
hi gatojuan,
Deletegod, i hope not. but to be honest, i have felt a like that might happen sooner than expected just because i have been having a hard time, like i said in my blog, but i really hope that never happens.
-gracie :)
Hi gracie,
ReplyDeleteI love your blog post and how you open peoples eyes on how being a musician is not just a hobby but a commitment that is hard work. Many people think of sports as hard work and music as something you do for fun, but you are really passionate about music and that super cool. Im sure you are an amazing violinist, and have a huge future ahead. What is one instrument you would want to learn?
Love you :}
crunchy lettuce
hi crunchy lettuce,
Deleteawww, thanks. i think i would want to learn cello, just because i really like string instruments.
love u more :}
gracie
Hey gracie,
ReplyDeleteI also play an instrument, the piano. I once pulled a tendon in my finger and had a joint or bone problem in another finger, but my teacher and parents still told me to keep playing even more. This was in my left hand and I had huge chords, well big chords for hands my size, and I was practicing for an international competition. I understand your struggle, but I know that you are an amazing violinist and this experience is one of many obstacles you will have to face. :)
What made you choose the violin rather than another instrument?
MM_Z