Friday, February 1, 2019

Colors of Music

Playing the piano isn’t just about how fast your fingers move, or how you can line up the notes to match the marching beat of a metronome. It’s not just about how long you’ve been playing, how many competitions you’ve won, or how much music theory you know. Sure, that’s important too. But what’s really important is the stories you tell as your fingers hit the keys. The emotions that cannot be portrayed in words or ink. The soaring harmonies from the first note to the last, all captured in one breath of song that seems to last an eternity and yet a second.


I’ve been playing piano for 8 years. Not that it counts, of course, but I am very familiar with the instrument. I started when I was just five, and I plan to keep music a part of my life until I grow old. Piano has its ups and its downs. Since it is one of my passions, it requires a substantial amount of my time. Every day, I must practice at least an hour of piano. This can be tight to fit in a schedule of homework, sports, and other extracurricular activities. But it is worth it. Even when it seems like you want to quit, if you really want music as a part of your life, you must persist.


Everybody has their different ideas of being “good” at a musical instrument. It could be judged it on how long someone has played, how many competitions they’ve won, and many other aspects of being a musician. I think a good pianist is able to transport the audience into a story, whether it be one full of joy and bright colors or one of painful loss and sadness.



a splatter painted horse that I did

Art is a lot like piano. Sometimes music is even considered an art. Art has so many different pathways to take, and each has its own techniques and challenges. All kinds of art are enjoyable, but painting with watercolor is one of my favorites. The way the colors mix together and run off the page can be difficult to handle, but can also be used to your advantage. When painting, there are no mistakes. There is no going back. If I feel like I have made a mistake, I form it into something else. We learn from our mistakes, and they give us experience in what we aim for. From my errors, I have learned many different methods of watercolor. One of my favorite techniques is splatter painting. Splatter painting is when you have paint on your brush and you knock the brush against another hard object, such as a pencil. The paint splatters onto the paper and creates many dots. This is great for capturing the speckled foliage of a tree. It is also excellent for any type of abstract art.


Image result for earth without art is just eh
Piano and watercolor painting bring challenges and creativity to my life. Sometimes they can be frustrating, but mostly I am left feeling satisfied. Playing a musical instrument or creating art doesn’t just benefit you, but also all of your community that listens and sees your work. Music and art can comfort people in a way no words can. As the saying goes, the Earth without “art” would just be “eh”!


Sources:

14 comments:

  1. Piano and watercolor are the two interests you mention but it's evident that you are a talented writer. I also loved your clever "Earth" ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And yes, I love writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you wrote about good music lasting an eternity and yet a second. And that horse is amazing. How did you get the splatter to stay in the horse shape? Did you use a stencil to mask the parts of the page you didn't want painted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I printed out a horse picture and cut out a paper stencil. :)

      Delete
  4. Your creative brain is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Owl Feather,
    I agree with N. Matthews, you are definitely very good at writing. The photos are very good. How hard is it to splatter paint? I love the ending, it’s very true.
    -FoxelephantVioleta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Owl Feather,
    I really like how you connected art to piano/ music. I also have been playing the piano for 8 or 9 years. I can really relate to this post. Just like you, I love drawing. You are very talented and an amazing writer. How did your feelings about playing the piano change from when you first started to now?

    MM_Z

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Owl Feather,
    First of all, the title "Colors of Music" really drew me in as a reader! I really like how you wrote about two things that are important to you, and how they are connected. The way you describe how piano is more than just sounds really makes me understand how you are passionate about it. Also, I too am amazed with your splatter horse painting! What made you start the piano, and did you ever think about quitting? If so, what made you decide not to?
    -Snowleopard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Owl Feather,
    I really like how you talked about how art and music are related in your life. I think that is very true. I also thought it was interesting how you talked about how everything has it's ups and downs, but you keep pushing through it because you love it. That splatter paint horse is amazing! How long did it take you? Also, what style of art do you like the best other then splatter paint?
    Thanks,
    Hufflepuff Pride

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hufflepuff Pride,
      Thanks! The horse didn't take to long to paint, maybe about 15 minutes, but cutting out the horse also took about 15 minutes. I cut out a stencil so that the paint would only go in the shape of a horse.
      -Owl Feather

      Delete
  9. Owl Feather,
    I like the personification you used in the very first paragraph of your blog post. I saw your painting of a horse and it's amazing, BUT I don't know how to splatter paint. How do you splatter paint?

    Sincerely,
    Bozzy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Owl Feather,
    Your blog post was really cool! As an artist, I thought the splatter painted horse was really cool and creative. I love that you connected the two art forms, studio art and music, and contrasted them as well. I do different forms of painting and drawing, but am also a singer and do circus, and I feel like people don't think of those other forms, like music and dance, as art often enough. I like that your blog post does that. The title really drew me in, especially because it made me think of synesthesia. How did you come up with that title?
    Thank you and great work,
    FieryFeatherKitten

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi owl feather,
    i really enjoyed reading this post and could tell how much of a strong connection you have with music. how do you think your piano skills have evolved over the 8 years you have played?
    - bug

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Owl Feather,
    Your piece was absolutely amazing and the fact that you included your own artwork is absolutely extraordinary. The level of thought and detail put into this is absolutely astounding. Your words were like poetry in the form of prose. I also love how you included two of your favorite things (piano, and watercolor) and blending them together to create this blog post. After viewing your blog, I could tell you have strong artistic skills and talented piano skills. What's your favorite part of piano and drawing?
    -Teeny Tiny Fury

    ReplyDelete