Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Car Crashes

Car crashes, they happen all over the world. So what causes these car crashes? What are car companies doing to avoid them? How does alcohol influence people’s ability to drive? These are all questions I have asked myself. So why do car crashes happen?
photo credit
In order to answer this question, we should know how car crashes happen. The number one cause of car crashes is not drunk drivers, speeding, or running red lights but by the number of distracted drivers. In 2013, three thousand one hundred and fifty people died in distraction-related car crashes and 42,000 people were injured. In 2016 263 drivers ages 16-19 were involved in distraction related fatal crashes in the U.S.Why teens ages 16 - 19? The reason is teens of this age group are usually the ones who are involved in distraction related crashes because the parts of their brain that control their decision making is not fully developed until early adulthood. Therefore they are more likely to crash.
Now that we know what causes the most car crashes we can move onto which distractions caused the crashes and how we can avoid them. To begin with, we can all be off our phones while we drive. Even if we are just talking on the phone, or using voice to text, the part of our brain that should be focusing on not crashing the car is instead focusing on talking on the phone, or thinking about what we're going to text.
photo credit
The more advanced technology gets, the more car companies build that tech into our cars. The way most companies are starting to make self driving cars is by using cameras, LIDAR and radar. What if the cameras get foggy? What happens if the LIDAR laser is broken? What if the radar stops working? What if all of these things happen at once? Then what are we supposed to do? Even though there are upsides to self-driving cars there are still disadvantages too.
Now the third step of figuring out why crashes happen.Alcohol. I have wondered for a long time why alcohol affects people's driving. It turns out that the alcohol slows down the neural connections in your brain. Alcohol also affects the amount of oxygen in your blood. This is called oxygen deprivation or hypoxia.Hypoxia usually starts with the inability to perform normal physical activities, such as climbing a short flight of stairs without fatigue or driving your car. There are other symptoms that come with hypoxia such as lack of appetite, vomiting, headache, distorted vision, and fatigue.
photo credit
Now how many people die from car crashes each year? Well in 2015 five thousand three hundred and sixty seven pedestrians were hit and killed either by the hit or later from injuries. Each year there are fewer deaths and fewer injuries. With the exception of 2007, there were still fewer deaths but there were 9,000 more injuries.So why are the numbers less each year? Well, car companies are using more and more technology to create a wider and more accurate system for detecting other cars and pedestrians. With this new technology fewer and fewer people are hit by cars. Although this helps in some ways it is also not helpful because the tech teaches us to rely on that teach but like I said earlier what happens if we are taking a nap in a self driving car then the LIDAR and radars die and the car crashes? Would the person in the car die because they weren't paying attention? Or what if during your nap the car is forced to make decision that isn’t in its programing? Or that only human brains can think logically enough to solve?
After learning about these crashes what can we take away? Well for starters we can be more aware of the effects alcohol has on us. We also know that the cause of most crashes is distraction related and the most common distraction is our phones so we should stay off of them while we are driving. Thirdly we learned why it is that teenagers ages 16-19 make such bad decisions about driving.

25 comments:

  1. Dear Bristol,
    I love how detailed your explanation of this topic was. It was really interesting to read through your blog post and to learn so much. I really enjoyed how you used such interesting facts and statistics. How did you decide to write about car crashes?
    -Teeny Tiny Fury

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I was doing a project about dangerous jobs, and I thought about car crashes driving your car isn't really a job but it gets you to your job. then I just wanted to do more research so I wrote this blog post.
      Bristol

      Delete
  2. Dear Bristol
    I really enjoyed reading this blog. You clearly did a lot of research on this topic. Why did you want to wright about this topic?
    bilbo the cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was working on a project about the most dangerous jobs, a lot of people just googled the question. instead I thought "what causes a lot of deaths?" I thought of serving in armed forces, police, firefighters. then I was like you know something we do everyday is driving in our cars, it's not really a job but it's how we get to our jobs. I was still thinking about this topic when I submitted my proposal.
      Bristol

      Delete
  3. Dear Bristol,
    I loved how you had a lot of evidence and reasoning, about how car crashes happen. What inspired you to write about car crashes? Have you been in a car crash?
    -Blue shirt guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been in minor crashes.
      I was doing a project about dangerous jobs and I thought about car crashes, I was still thinking about the subject when I wrote my proposal.
      Bristol

      Delete
  4. Dear Bristol,
    I really like how you asked many questions at the beginning, and then answered all of them with a lot of evidence. I like how you describe why, how most car crashes happen, since I would have always thought that it was because of drunk drivers if I hadn't read your post. What is one thing that America should do to prevent car crashes?
    -Snowleopard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I always thought it was drunk drivers too until I did the research. In Portland I think people should obey the law, because we actually have a law that says you will get a ticket if your on your phone while your driving. other states like California, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York and some other east coast states have the same policy.
      Bristol

      Delete
  5. Dear Bristol,
    I thought it was amazing how you asked a lot of questions and then strived to answer them! Your blog was really well written and nice to read. Before starting research, what did you think was the number one cause of car crashes?
    Keep up the good work!
    PortugueseGrape

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. before I did the research I thought the number one cause was drunk driving although I did think distraction related crashes would be close behind that.
      Bristol

      Delete
  6. Dear Bristol,
    I could tell that you did a great deal of research on this subject, and have a great deal of information on this subject. I learned a lot from this paper, and I was wondering how many car crashes happen a day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. on average 3,287 people die everyday from car crashes.

      Delete
  7. Hi Bristol,
    You wrote this very well. There was so much good information. I enjoyed reading this. How did you decide to write about this? What do think causes more death than this? Once again, this was so good!
    elephantsandslothsarecool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I think certain illnesses cause way more deaths than car crashes.

      Delete
    2. Hello Bristol,
      I thought this was such an interesting thing to write about(in a good way!) My dad says that they should raise the driving age, what do you think? I loved all the good infomation!
      -SlinkyMuffin

      Delete
  8. Dear Bristol,
    It seems like you put a lot of work into this blog. I've been in a car crash and it was hard to find out whose fault it was. What could you do to make it easier to deal with problems like these?
    Peace,
    Soccer is Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in order to figure out who's fault a crash is you have to go through a checklist of things, like have the drivers been drinking, were they on their phones, were their children in the car, etc, but in order to make this work there would also have to be a document that said things like "if the driver who hit the other car was driving drunk then it's their fault".

      Delete
  9. Bristol,
    This blog post was information packed and I learned a lot. I have been in two car accidents oen of them we had to total our car and buy a new one. If I hadn't been lazy and sat on the left side seat of the third row (there were only two seats), I wouldn't gotten hit in the head. Now I am terrified of that road. Do you think that we should raise the minimum age of people being allowed to drive?

    MM_Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry. No I do not think we need to raise the minimum age of driving, I think people should be more responsible while they are driving. in 2010 32,999 people died and in 2017 about 40,231 people died, I think this is because people are being less and less responsible while on the road.
      Bristol

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi bristol,
    i enjoyed reading your blog post because it is a current thing happening in our world. Do you think there are things that could make people more responsible? Is it becuase of drinking, age etc.?
    -gracie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for reading my blog! If we do raise the drinking age maybe there will be less crashes but only because the part of their brains that makes the decisions will be more developed, but then the drinking age would have to be raised by kind of a lot. I also think people should just have the thought to stop drinking, and have more self control to not drink that much.

      Delete
    2. hi bristol,
      i agree, but if people are told not to drink that would make them drink even more, so many people already start drinking before they are 21, so i think you are right, but maybe a different thing, like a stricter rule with how much alchohol.
      -gracie :)

      Delete
    3. I agree, maybe the drinking age shouldn't be raised. maybe something else would have to change.
      Bristol

      Delete
  12. Bristol,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog post, and I have a question for you. What is a LIDAR, and what does it do?

    ReplyDelete