Batteries: They Power my Everyday
![]() |
| voltaic pile |
Batteries power a lot of things. from flashlights and clocks to cars and computers, they are everywhere in modern life. But how did batteries rise to power? (pun intended) the first battery was made in 1800 by Alessandro Volta (which the electrical measurement alessandr was named after. [jk, there called volts]) his first "battery was a stack of alternating zinc and copper plates separated by cloth or cardboard soaked in brine (very salty water). these first batteries had about an hours worth of life.
so how did we get from that to batteries today? in the next section, I will be talking about lithium and lithium-ion batteries. after that, I will talk about common household batteries.
![]() |
| lithium-ion battery |
Common household batteries are the batteries that you think of when you hear the names Duracell or Energizer, the ones you pair with a pink bunny. and yes, the pink bunny works for both. in the US and Canada, Energizer has a pink bunny, but everywhere else, there is the Duracell bunny, who's also pink. confusing, right? but those little bunnies aren't all the things that these batteries power. they power anything from flashlights to tv remotes, electric razors, to instrument tuners and more! they are very versatile, but they can't be recharged.that's why they use these bad boys in smaller electronics, rather than your phone.
Batteries are important to my, and everyone else's, life. they power most of our cordless devices, allow us to reach new and unexplored places, and free us from the confines of a wall socket. they are important to me, and they help me be free and go and have fun.
Image credits:
Voltaic pile
Lithium-ion Battery
Common Batteries


HiroGrace'sdragon,
ReplyDeleteThis was an interesting post on batteries! I did not know this much. I like your ending(the last paragraph thing). How do you think people came up with the idea for batteries?
-FoxelephantVioleta
Thanks FoxelephantVioleta!
DeleteI think that the idea of batteries came from necessity, and from some very creative thinking by Alessander Volta! here is a link to an article i read about why he created his first battery :https://www.vox.com/2015/2/18/8056095/how-alessandro-volta-invented-the-battery-and-won-over-napoleon
-HiroGrace'sDragon
Hi HiroGrace'sDragon,
DeleteWow, thats really cool. It's werid to think that people actually had to come up with all these ideas and shape them. I usually just sit here using batteries not diving into how they were created. Why do pink bunnies get paired with batteries? They are two different things. That part was confusing. Other than that, this was so good!
elephantsandslothsarecool
Hi HiroGrace'sdragon,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you turned a post about something not very interesting in my opinion, (batteries) into an interesting informational read. Nice job!
-Luna Tuna
Thanks Luna Tuna!
DeleteI wanted to write my blog about an under appreciated household. I'm happy that you liked it!
-HiroGrace'sDragon
oops!
Deletei ment unapreciated household item! :p
Hello HiroGrace'sdragon,
ReplyDeleteI like your examples, they intrigued me. After reading this I wonder how do batteries work?
-Bozzy
Hello HiroGrace'sdragon,
DeleteI like your examples, they intrigued me. Especially the one about the car battery and candy crush :) After reading this I wonder how do batteries work?
-Bozzy
Hello HiroGrace'sDragon,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you included the images of the different batteries. For starters, i thought there were only two types of batteries. You made batteries a lot more interesting to me. If you were to choose the design of batteries, what would they look like?
Sincerely,
Raul
Thanks Soccer is life!
Deletebefore I did the research for this, I thought there was only two too! I think that if I could make batteries any shape, I would make them square so they wouldn't roll away from me, but that might break the mechanism.
-HiroGrace'sDragon
Dear HiroGrace'sdragon,
ReplyDeleteI read your post and I learned a lot about batteries and how their important. I was wondering what you would think would happen if the world ran out of batteries?
Sincerely,
NWfury
Thanks NWfury!
DeleteI think if we ran out of batteries, we could make more. but I don't think that's the answer you were looking for. i think that if no batteries were ever made and all of the current batteries were destroyed, i think society as we know it might break down. I hope that doesn't happen though!
_HiroGrace'sDragon
Dear HiroGrace'sdragon,
ReplyDeletei liked the title for some reason, it really pulled me in to read your blog. what inspired you to write on this topic?
Bananabunny
Thanks Bananabunny!
DeleteI wanted to write my blog about an under appreciated household item, and batteries are pretty unappreciated. Also, if we didn't have batteries, the world might be much different than it is now.
-HiroGrace'sDragon
Dear HiroGrace'sdragon,
ReplyDeleteThis was a nice topic to read and I learned a lot, but after each sentence you might want to capitalize the first letter. Besides that, really nice work! What would today be like without batteries?
Good job!
-PortugueseGrape
Thanks PortugeseGrape!
DeleteI guess I'm to used to writing on google docs. :p
i think that if we didn't have batteries today, it would be a lot more work to text someone while walking, and i think there might be some sort of sliding cord system through ought cities.
-HiroGrace'sDragon
Dear HeroGrace'sDragon,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you told us about the most overlooked thing in our lives, and I say that because they power all of our phones and computers, and yet we just hope they work. What inspired you to write about batteries?
-GreyWolf19
HeroGrace'sDragon,
ReplyDeleteI never really thought about batteries only when my device (phone, iPad, etc.) was low and I would have to charge it. I like how you took something that most people don't think about in our daily lives and wrote about it and I learned a lot from your blog post :)
Would you change anything about the batteries we use?
MM_Z
hi hirogracesdragon,
ReplyDeletei really liked how much i learned while reading this post, and your pictures made it really interesting. how did u decide to write about batteries?
-gracie :)
Hi Hirogracesdragon,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your post, it was very interesting. I thought your post was very detailed and was very informational. What's your favorite thing powered by batteries?
-Teeny Tiny Fury
Hello Hirogracesdragon,
ReplyDeleteYour post was really interesting. I didn't know so much about batteries. Why did you choose the topic? I partially agree with your ending statement, my phone's battery sucks, and I still have to constantly charge it. I was wondering what would happen if you cooled down or heated up a battery, how it would affect the lasting power of the battery.
Let us grieve existence together.
Missy Unicorn