Friday, February 8, 2019

A Graded Life




When I go to school every day I worry about an upcoming assignment or test, it doesn't matter if I have completed the project or if I know all of the material on the test, I just stress and stress. Even when I am prepared for school and playing ping pong, pool, or foosball with my brother I still can’t focus on anything except for school. Now you might be thinking “concentrating on school is super important and if you can focus on academics what’s the problem?” Well the problem is that I feel like I have to worry about my grades all of the time, no matter what because Middle school grades help prepare for high school and those grades affect where you can go to college and that influences you job and the rest of your life. I know that at thirteen people tell us “You're in 7th grade make mistakes and learn from them.” or “Don’t be afraid to mess up.” As well intended as those words may be, if you want to be successful there are a very short and limited list of mistakes that you can make, or at least from the perspective of someone who is thirteen.
I am lucky to have extremely committed and supportive teachers at Catlin Gabel, because if I didn’t school would feel impossible on top of the fact that I am constantly worrying about grades. Yes, I do believe that grades are very important and working hard is also important because that can open new doors and create amazing and unique opportunities that may alter your life, but do you need to stress about that when you are in middle school? On average about 83% of teen stress comes from school, so that leaves only 17% for the rest of you life that you live outside of school.312726-the-growing-teen-epidemic-stress Additionally, on a 10 point scale the average stress of an adult is about 5.1 and the average stress of a teen is 5.8. American Psychological Association Survey Shows Teen Stress ...https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2014/02/teen-stress.aspx If you would like to read more here are two great articles that might interest you. I also value the fact that I am lucky enough to go to school and learn, so that I can one day become an active participant in our vastly developing society. I realize that “doing well in school” is a concept to help us learn and to help us to strive to do well so that when we are pushed out of the nest into the real world we can take off and have the ability to support ourselves or our family. I also know that I and many other teens like me need to focus on what we are doing right now and what is going on the world around us at this age. Once we are older we never get to have this time back and we will never learn to take our first steps, read our first book, get our first A, or be thirteen ever again. The average human lives for about 80 years, and I don’t want to spend 10 of those years that I have worrying about grades only to have to worry about college and work after I am no longer young and full of energy. That’s not to say that I don’t love school, I do, but I don’t love to worry about school when I am trying to win nationals or relaxing with my friends during summer vacation. Every day I strive to do better that the day before and to learn more that the day before, but if I am too scared of the consequences of making a mistake, how am I supposed to be the best me that I can possibly be?

16 comments:

  1. I am going to try to steer clear of a lecture on the dangers of obsessing over anything, including academic achievement. I will share three thoughts on the subject of success and failure.

    1. My all-time favorite message in a Chinese fortunes cookie: Nothing teaches success like failure.

    2. No matter how good you are, how much you study, or how badly you want to succeed, sooner or later you are going to take on something at which you will fail. That you have failed says nothing about who you are. The only thing that will define you at that point is how your deal with the failure.

    3. Despite a nearly perfect SAT score in math, I managed to fail trigonometry in high school. Fast forward a few years and a good bit of maturing, and I earned a Masters degree from a nationally recognized university and subsequently rose to be a national leader in my chosen field of endeavor.

    I am not advocating that you lose the drive to succeed. I am simply suggesting that you try to not let it overwhelm the rest of your life. You’ve got a lot of living to do, and sometimes that will include some failures. Relax and enjoy the ride.

    I enjoyed reading your blog. I am guessing that you will ultimately succeed at whatever you choose to do in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bubble Tea,
    First of all this is not related to your blog post but great name(Bubble tea). I love bubble tea. Anyway, I need to stay on track. I agree that there is a lot of pressure to do wel and I have a hard time dealing with it. Did this start for you in MS or before then? Great writing!
    -FoxelephantVioleta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bubble Tea,
    I agree that middle school is really stressful! It was really surprising that one average teens have more stress than adults. What do you do to relive the stress?
    nice post!
    tinyelephant

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bubble Tea!
    I totally agree that school is stressful. sometimes i have problems falling asleep because i'm stressed about my homework and tests and its to much! i also agree with your ending message. If i'm stressed, i can't live up to my full potential. i'm going to frame that. Is there anything that helps you destress?
    -HiroGrace'sDragon

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bubble Tea!
    awesome start, i liked how you talked about a very relatable topic, and wrote about when 17% is for other purposes, it brought more facts in and seemed more real. when did you realize that this meant so much to you?
    Bananabunny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bubble Tea,
    I often think about how school will effect my life, and how important it must be to take up a third of it. sometimes I worry and stress, sometimes I dont. but deep down im always wondering if its really worth it. if we only live once, do I want to take up 1/3 of my life in school when I could be traveling the world with the people who mean the most to me? ive never been able to figure this question out. have you? would you give it a shot?
    thanks,
    Liv

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi bubble tea
    i can relate to this post a lot because i often feel stress from school but sometimes i just don't care, it's kind of polar opposites, i know. Is there anything you could suggest t handle this better?
    -gracie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey guys,

    I feel that the most important way to deal with stress is to find an outlet away from school and maybe even away from family if you need. I am lucky enough to have a place outside of school and family that I can go to and just have fun when I need a day off from the rest of life. I hope that school does not end up being my life, but education is important no matter what. On the other end of that living your life and being happy is important. I first started getting stressed out, or at least noticing it when I was in 4th grade. I feel like we are pegged based off of things in life that can make you sucessfull, but not happy. If any of you want to talk about this more I am always here to talk just let me know. I'm here for you.

    Sincerely, Bubble Tea

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's up Bubble Tea,
    This post was well written and well organized. It seems like you spent a lot of time and work writing and researching this topic. I see the need to stress in school but that shouldn't be what you are thinking about 24/7. You should find a place that makes you forget all about school and just have fun. Do you think that it was less stress in 6th grade than it is now? Will it ever get better?
    Good Job,
    Soccer is Life

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yo Bubble Tea,
    I can totally relate. I feel like I have stress to do well in school from my parents and my peers. What do you think would be the best way to handle stress if you are in a stressful situation?

    Sincerely,
    Bozzy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Bubble Tea,
    I can really relate. I stress a lot about beign the best at eveything, though of course I'm not. I have the pressure of being as good as or better than my older sister when she was my age, plus the pressure from my peers to be seen as the smartest in the grade. Sure I'm in "smart" math,btu I'm not good at Science, French, English, Social Studies, and a lot of other things. But, as long people support you then it's easier to take in.
    what do you do when you are stressed?

    MM_Z

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi bubble tea,
    I don't think I've ever read something more relatable than this when it comes to schoolwork and basically just school in general. what are some strategies you personally use to stay on track, help out, or simply just make you feel better about school?
    - bug

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello all,

    When I’m stressed I like to make a list or a plan of what I need to get done. I do this so I can visualize what I have to get done that day or week. I set goals about where I want be be after X amount of time. Like I said earlier, having somewhere outside of school you can go to relax with other people can be crucial to relieving stress. I have to be focused on something that I really care about in order to get in a zone where I am not stressed about school. Additionally having people in your life who you can talk with about how you feel is a big help. I have friends who are not related to catlin in any way, and I like to talk to them because most of the time they don’t ask about a project at school. A very important skill in life is to know when enough is enough, but that’s her when you are stressed about that long list of things you have to get done. I think that everybody should have an independent thing that they care so much about that all they have to do is think about that thing and become totally relaxed. I hope you all have something or can find that thing that keeps you going and helps you get through tough situations.

    Sincerely, Bubble Tea

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Bubble Tea,
    I love how you decided to write about stress, especially since it's such a popular thing. I know that stress is extremely prominent in our society so I am grateful that you wrote about it. I thought your blog was very detailed and descriptive and I enjoyed the facts and information you included as well. What aspect of school do you think stresses you the most?
    -Teeny Tiny Fury

    ReplyDelete