Friday, February 14, 2014

Virginia Dare

“Power is given only to those who dare to lower themselves and pick it up.”
-Virginia Dare
Virginia Dare was the first child born in America to English parents, Eleanor and Ananias Dare. She was born into the Roanoke Colony in what is now North Carolina, in 1563. She was the first Christian child born in Virginia, which is why she was named Virginia.
Virginia was raised in the Lost Colony, which is a mystery we may never solve. Very little is known about Virginia and her fellow colony people. Governor White found no sign of their disappearance, nothing except the word ‘Croatoan’ carved into the base of their port, and the letters ‘cro’ carved into a nearby tree. All of the shelter they had had been dismantled, suggesting their departure was not a rush.
There are many hypotheses regarding what happened to the colony. The most known idea, was that they took shelter with local Indian tribes.
Within 400 years from her birth, VIrginia Dare has become a well known figure in folklore and myth tales, showing different things to new people. Virginia is known as a figure of innocence and purity, new beginnings, promise, and hope, as well as adventure and bravery. She also symbolizes mystery because of her mysterious disappearance.
No one knows anybody's name because nobody has a name. You're just your state. I got to where somebody would say "Virginia," and I'd answer. I was just "Virginia." I wasn't me any more.”

-Virginia Dare

34 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grace,
    I really like your layout for this post. It looks very well thought though and easy to follow. I especially liked your quotes in the beginning and end. They were very powerful. I found it surprising that someone could be known for something pure and something in the department of mystery.
    What are some of the hypotheses? Why is them going to the Indians the most known idea?
    Great Job,
    Katie/ Mei Rin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie,
      Thank you! I think that it is weird as well how she is famous and don't know almost anything about her. When they returned to where the colony was, there was almost nothing left. It had looked like they packed and left because they wanted to not because they needed to. It's kind of confusing but I guess thats how life is.
      They think that they went to the Indians because the Indians probably had something that they wanted. But I don't think they know they just want an answer so they said that.

      Thanks,
      Grace

      Delete
  3. Hi Grace, it looks like not much is known about this person, but your post was still very interesting!
    -Nicholas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nicholas,
      Yes, not much is known.
      Thanks!

      ~Grace

      Delete
  4. Gracie,
    I did not know much about Virginia Dare. I didn't know that there were so much mystery around her name and who she is. Almost all of this stuff was new to me. Wow, I never knew that she was the first Christian born in Virginia. Where did you get the idea for writing about her? Her name was in the Nicholas Flamell series Is that were you got the idea?
    - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      I didn't know what to write about so I looked on the green-sheet under topics. I know it's boring. I have not read the Nicholas Flamell series but I might now!

      ~Grace

      Delete
  5. Gracie,
    Nice blog post. I would think that there would be more information about her because she was the first Christian born in Virginia, so interesting, but I guess thats is because of the group she was in. I want to know the same thing Katie asked. What other hypotheses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my post! I guess back then they didn't really care that she was the first Christian child born in Virginia.

      Thanks,
      ~Grace

      Delete
  6. Grace,
    I like your post, it seems like not much in known about Virginia. Do people know why her family left where they were living? What sort of things did she show to people?
    ~Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire,
      Thank you! Indeed not much is known about her. I don't think they know why her family and her left where they were living. If they know, I don't. I have no idea what she told/showed people before she disappeared.

      Thanks and sorry to be so unhelpful,
      Grace

      Delete
  7. Hi Grace,
    I loved this post, you had great word choice and flow. I feel like you could have elaborated on how being the first child born to English parents in America was a big deal. Great pictures too!
    ~Josephine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josephine,
      Thank you. I think at the time, being the first child born to English parents in America wasn't such a big deal as it is now. But I have no idea for sure.

      Thanks,
      Grace

      Delete
  8. HI Grace,
    I like your blog post. The beginning is cool, because you tell the reader about the lost colony. I like the superstitions, and the quotes are really great. I like how Virginia symbolized new beginnings, thats cool. Did she still have an accent?
    -Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wyatt,
      Thanks for reading my post! The lost colony is pretty cool. I have no idea if she had an accent, but she probably did.

      Thanks,
      Grace

      Delete
  9. Hi Grace,
    I love your post! It was very smooth, and seemed like you did a lot of research. Do you think that this is the biggest mysterious in America?
    Much love
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex,
      Thank you. I think it is one of the biggest, but there are newer mysteries that they are probably trying to find out.

      Thanks,
      Grace

      Delete
  10. Hi Grace,
    I really liked all of the information you packed into your blog post, especially the exact words they found near their home when they disappeared. What is your hypothesis on what happened to Virginia Dare? Thanks for writing this, it was super interesting!
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren,
      Thanks! I truly have no idea what happened to them.

      Thanks,
      Grace

      Delete
  11. Hi Gracie,

    Your post was great, I really liked the images. How did you hear about Virginia Dare? What impact has she had on history? How did they get those quotes if she disappeared?

    Thanks,

    ACP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Thanks! I heard about her from the green-sheet! It has some cool topics. They probably got the quotes before she disappeared. But I don't know for sure.

      Thanks,
      Grace

      Delete
  12. Hey Gracie,
    This post was very interesting! I didn't even know who Virginia Dare even was until I read your post. How did you hear about her?
    ~ALLY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ally,
      I didn't know about her either! I found out about her from the green-sheet. Don't hesitate to take suggestions for topics, they might be good!

      Thanks,
      Grace

      Delete
  13. Hi Gracie,

    I really like your post! The layout is cool and so are the pictures, it is also written very well! It's interesting how little we know about Virginia Dare considering she was the first child born in America to english parents. In your post you mention "governor white", I was wondering who he was.

    Thanks,

    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matthew,
      Thank you! Governor White was just the Governor at the time who was the one who left the colony to go somewhere and then came back and found the colony missing.

      Thanks,
      ~Grace

      Delete
  14. Grace,
    I really liked your post. I thought that it was very intriguing. I didn't know anything about Virginia Dare before this. Why did you pick her? What do we know about the lost colony? It sounds very cool. What does Croatoan mean? Great post.
    Cordially,
    -KAT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat,
      Thank you. I didn't know anything about her either. I didn't have a topic so I looked on the green-sheet. Suggestions can be great!

      Thanks for reading my post!
      ~Grace

      Delete
  15. Hello Grace,
    I really enjoyed the layout of this post. I didn't know anything about Virginia Dare before you wrote this post. How did you hear about this person? Why did you choose her? Overall, great post. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks!
    ~Sydney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sydney,
      I heard about her from the green-sheet. It proves that you can get some good and interesting info and topics from suggestions.

      Thanks,
      ~Grace

      Delete
  16. Hi Grace,
    I had no idea who Virginia Dare was. Where did you hear about her? Where was the "Lost Colony"? When was it colonized? What is known about it? I also liked how you talked about her being popular in folktales and legends.
    Great Post!
    -Nate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nate,
      I didn't know anything about her either before this. I learned about her from the green-sheet where the topics are. Very little is known about her colony. (which is why it is called the lost colony) They only know that they left for some reason, and left almost no signs that they were there. It had looked like they packed there stuff and left when they wanted to. (like they weren't chased out, or they didn't have to leave)

      Thanks,
      Grace

      Delete
  17. Hi Grace,
    I love your your post. I have never heard of her before, but she is really interesting. I like that you put lots of pictures in your post. Props to you because I think it would be hard to research someone that has little info about them.
    Thanks,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  18. Grace,
    One question: How did you get the quote? Was there writing then? Nice job on the post,
    Mahala

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, Grace!

    This is a very cool post! I've heard about Virginia Dare, but I didn't know she disappeared so mysteriously! What do you think the words carved into the tree mean?

    Again, super interesting! Thanks!
    - Fri

    ReplyDelete