Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Communications During The Civil War

    There was many ways to communicate during the Civil War, even though they did not have email, phones, or social media. Some of the ways they did communicate by however included newspapers, photography, telegraphs, boats with the enemies, and semaphore flags.
    Newspapers looked a lot different from the ones you see today, appearance wise. They pretty much are the same with their content, but the ones during the Civil War were black and white. Also, the ones during the Civil War had a lot less pictures since photography was just starting up.
    Photography was only in black and white during the Civil War. Individuals or newspaper companies could hire photographers to take photos for them. There were also photographers for the military. The photographers would travel by horse and carriage so they could capture the action. Back then, cameras were a lot bigger than they are now. Quite often photographers followed armies into battle so they could get pictures of the action. This was nice for the citizens because he could see what was going on without having to fight or join the army.
    Telegraphs were emerging during the Civil War. They were used to send messages from different locations. Telegraph people followed the army around, letting them be able to communicate from the battlefront. They set up telegraph poles and wires which allowed them to do so.
    Even though the North and South sides were fighting each other, they still were just people. The two sides would exchange goods and information like newspapers, tobacco, and coffee. They did this by sending a sailboat across the river filled with the goods they were giving to the other side. They would tie the sail in place. Then the other side would load it with their goods and send it back. They did this without their commanders knowing.
    Semaphore Flags are/were a way to communicate. You did this by getting far away from another person, but so they could still see you. Then you could message back and forth using the flags. This was good because the enemy wouldn’t be able to notice you unless they knew exactly where to look.
    There was many ways to communicate during the civil war, and there are many ways to communicate now. Some of the ways to communicate back then included newspapers, photography, telegraphs, boats with the enemies, and semaphore flags. We have gotten so much more technology since then, so what will come in the future?

9 comments:

  1. hey Nat,
    I can't imagine a newspaper without pictures it just seems weird. I've always wanted to get a telegraph from somebody. I didn't know that the north and south traded things during the war that seems sort of weird if you ask me. overall this post is very well written and has very interesting facts.
    -ALLY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ally,

      Thanks for commenting on my post! I agree with you, living in a time without cellphones or newspapers with pictures seem weird to us. However if we ha lived during the civil war I think that if we knew what technology there would be in the future, we might think what we have now was magic. I think that it depends what time period you live in but communication before and after will seem weird.

      ~Natalie

      Delete
  2. Hey Natalie,
    I really liked how informative your piece was! It really filled me in on a lot of things I didn't know, and it is clear to me that you spent a lot of work researching for this! One of my question to you is, now with all the social media we have, could another Civil War break out?
    Much Love
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Natalie,
    Your piece was really informative and interesting. I really like how you talked about the newspaper. I think it would be really weird to have newspapers without pictures. That's the only part I like.

    Super nice job,
    ~Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Natalie,
    I think your post was very interesting. I really liked how you explained what roles different types of communication played. I think the way you described the newspapers really surprised me. Having newspapers without pictures... weird...Thanks for posting!
    Thanks!
    ~Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Natalie,
    I liked your blog and the blog idea. I liked how you told the reader about how the photographers would follow the armies so that they could get pictures. My favorite part was the part when you talked about how they were sailing goods down the river. Which way of communication do you like? Great Blog
    -Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Natalie!
    I really liked your post! From reading your post, I got a clear idea of the communications used back in the time of the Civil War. I agree with you about how technology is a big part of the communications today. How do you think people will communicate like 50 years in the future?
    -Sujala

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Natalie,
    I Really like how you described the newspapers and how photography effected them. What was the favorite form of communication? Good job.
    Cordially,
    -KAT

    ReplyDelete